THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

The Canto Bight source music is a lot of fun. It makes for a great b-side to the original cantina band song, an even better b-side than the actual b-side in ANH. But I really question the wisdom of putting that kind of counter programming cue smack dab in the middle of the OST. I get that it's pretty much chronological but just doesn't work for me. 

Time for my patented "Best Listening Order". Here's what I've come up with this time:

BEGINNINGS...

01. Main Title and Escape

02. Ahch-To Island

REVELATIONS...

06. Old Friends

08. Lesson One

10. Who Are You?

HEROES YOUNG AND OLD...

07. The Rebellion is Reborn

05. Fun with Finn and Rose

13. The Sacred Jedi Texts

DARK FORCES...

03. Revisiting Snoke

04. The Supremacy

17. The Spark

14. A New Alliance

DUELS AND FATES...

11. The Fathiers

19. Peace and Purpose

16. The Battle of Crait

20. Finale

Tracks left out: Canto Bight, The Cave, Chrome Dome, The Last Jedi

9 hours ago, Loert said:

I just need to point out how bad-ass the first track is. The first entrance of the Resistance theme is the musical equivalent of Williams going "I'm back, bitches!"

Also the statement of Leia's theme towards the end of "The Supremacy" is absolutely gorgeous, the big timpani roll at the beginning really makes a difference!

I love that entire first track so much.

I want to order the OST in a regular plastic jewel case instead of the carton version, which is available in The Netherlands. Does anyone know where I can order the normal, old school CD case version? Thanks..!

1 minute ago, Sandor said:

I want to order the OST in a regular plastic jewel case instead of the carton version, which is available in The Netherlands. Does anyone know where I can order the normal, old school CD case version? Thanks..!

Try Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de or imusic.dk

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Try Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de

I did, but I just can't seem to find information on the case/packaging. I know if I order it in Holland (which I did) through our biggest retail-site Bol.com I'll end up with the carton case version. I would also like to have the traditional case edition and want to avoid ordering the same version twice. 

5 minutes ago, Sandor said:

I did, but I just can't seem to find information on the case/packaging. I know if I order it in Holland (which I did) through our biggest retail-site Bol.com I'll end up with the carton case version. I would also like to have the traditional case edition and want to avoid ordering the same version twice. 

imusic lists two versions, where one is labeled as digipack and the other isn't. Here it is:

https://www.imusic.dk/cd/0050087384432/john-williams-2017-star-wars-the-last-jedi-soundtrack-compact-disc

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

imusic lists two versions, where one is labeled as digipack and the other isn't. Here it is:

https://www.imusic.dk/cd/0050087384432/john-williams-2017-star-wars-the-last-jedi-soundtrack-compact-disc

Thanks man..! Ordered..! :) 

20 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Thanks man..!

Nice to be of service. I also prefer the jewelcase version since it doesn't give shelf wear to the paper.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Danish site? 

Yup, the largest Danish CD site, I believe. Search for A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and you're in for a surprise.

I really really hope JW scores Ep 9. I want him to put his final stamp on Star Wars knowing that this will be his last SW film even as he is writing it. ROTS felt that way to me when I first listened to the OST despite the lack of a big new theme. There was richness and depth across almost the entire score. Were it not for tracked music, some bad editing, and time constraints(?) the ROTS score could have been perfect. In many ways, JW ws firing on all cylinders. I want that one more time and while TLJ's score is damn good, I don't think the movie itself provided the same musical potential for JW to work with. 

4 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

I really really hope JW scores Ep 9. I want him to put his final stamp on Star Wars knowing that this will be his last SW film even as he is writing it. ROTS felt that way to me when I first listened to the OST despite the lack of a big new theme. There was richness and depth across almost the entire score. Were it not for tracked music, some bad editing, and time constraints(?) the ROTS score could have been perfect. In many ways, JW ws firing on all cylinders. I want that one more time and while TLJ's score is damn good, I don't think the movie itself provided the same musical potential for JW to work with. 

I hope so too. Thankfully the production rate of the sequel trilogy is higher than the previous trilogies and Williams could potentially start writing late 2018 when the shooting is finished and editing will have started. It will depend on his continued health and the ones in charge (Kennedy, Abrams) to ask Williams. 

In a way I think listening to the end credits of both OSTs really captures the differences between TLJ and TFA. Thus far I prefer the straightforwardness and clarity of TFA to the more complex and disjointed nature of TLJ. Even structurally the major music pieces in TFA are more satisfying and whole than in TLJ.

At the very worst, Episode 9 will be the next and final thing he works on, and events cause it to remain unfinished. But there are teams of highly skilled craftspeople who'll be ready to sweep in and finish it in his honour if and when that happens.

I don't want to jinx it, but I can imagine Williams going for another 5 years or so. Episode 9. Another Spielberg. And Indy 5.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

When can we expect to know more about a Hal Leonard suite? Is there an established timeframe for these publications?

I remember with TFA this took about half a year, or a little less. So I guess we’ll have to wait a while :(

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I was thinking last night, they could totally get away with casting the Poe guy as Indiana Jones. The symmetry alone would be cool. 

If we're talking symmetry, let Alden Ehrenreich play it..!

2 minutes ago, king mark said:

what's that avatar anyways

Not sure if the board rules allow us to get into that....

20 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Of what I've heard of her theme in the movie, I'm not a fan. It's in that post Harry Potter style of Williams which I just find to be painfully twee and treacly, I hate that particular characteristic of his. 

You hate it! 

33 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you really surprised you can buy CDs from a Danish site? It's a civilized country, you know. :D

And do you know if they put information in Danish on the CD’s..? Or just English..?

8 hours ago, king mark said:

lol, you didn' t illegally download it 2 days ago

No but I did wait up till 4 am to get it as soon as it dropped, lay in bed, put my hands behind my head, took in the first track and then fell asleep because i was so tired, lol

7 hours ago, filmmusic said:

?

The Asteroid Filed and Han Solo & The Princess are in the ost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Empire_Strikes_Back_(soundtrack)

or maybe they're not the concert versions? I'm not familiar with the ost. Anyway

Yes he frequently changes things afterwards to come up with concert arrangements if he has not done so beforehand.

But dat Poe’s teme in the first track doe....

Wait is that Poe’s theme hybridized with the Resistance theme? What comes after it is clearly the resistance music.  

Johnny went beyond meth. I think he dropped acid. The first track is just a cacophony of motifs and themes. 

7 hours ago, filmmusic said:

To tell you the truth, I'm trying to like it.

So this is one more reason to be in this thread and discuss it, in case I'm convinced.

Who says you have to like every score from every composer. You have a right not to like this score. One of my favorite composers is Maurice Ravel and I personally can not listen to Bolero. Now Daphnis or La Valse and many others, Yes Please!!!!! Same can be said for R. Strauss, Rachmaninoff, Puccini, Steiner, Waxman, Raksin, Walton, Korngold, Barber, Stravinsky, Williams and many others

2 hours ago, pete said:

I think it's safe to assume Kennedy and Abrams want Williams on board. It will just come down to his health as I'm sure he's keen to finish the trilogy. 

Hey, he's still firmly in his 80s :)

8 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Who says you have to like every score from every composer. You have a right not to like this score. One of my favorite composers is Maurice Ravel and I personally can not listen to Bolero. Now Daphnis or La Valse and many others, Yes Please!!!!! Same can be said for R. Strauss, Rachmaninoff, Puccini, Steiner, Waxman, Raksin, Walton, Korngold, Barber, Stravinsky, Williams and many others

Well, if I don't like it they will come after me! :lol:

Ok, seriously now:

I love too Williams, that's why I am here, and I'd like to love every score of his.

But yes, I don't think I'll chage my mind about TLJ. As I didn't about TFA.