THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

4 minutes ago, ocelot said:

But at least you have his previous 6 Star Wars to like. I think my favorite score is TPM. Love his writing in that. But I am loving this new trilogy as well. I love that he keeps growing and changing, but when someone changes their style or it grows with the person, because music is subjective, it can't appeal to everyone. Anyway, good luck on your dissertation. 

Ah, thank you very much! You've been most kind!

8 hours ago, Damien F said:

If people are saying that her theme doesn't sound like Star Wars its probable because her character is quite new for the franchise. I don't recall a major character as optimistic and lovely as her before. 

Yea, pretty much.

I'd say you can like or not like Rose's Theme, but Williams basically scored her appropriately.

3 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

I really like it. I just wish Williams wrote a proper concert arrangement of her theme. I'm surprised that he didn't considering how much it was used in the film.

I also think Rose's theme would make a good concert arrangement. Maybe JW just didn't have time.

I always enjoy the contradictory responses to new themes.  Rose's theme sounds like HP and Rose's theme sounds like Anakins or a major version of the Force Theme.  If it is the latter two, then it is SW by definition, right?  

I remember people complaining that Rey's theme was too Potterish.  Whether it is similar to HP or not, it is clearly now as much of a SW theme as any other (as Rose's will likely be by the end of IX). 

After listening to the OST, this is definitely a great score, though some things have cemented in my mind about it. I feel pretty confident saying it's lesser than TFA, if for no other reason than it's so light on new themes (each film has had at least one new BIG theme, I guess for this it's Rose's but if that's the case it's the least of them, and a weird oversight on Williams's part considering the film itself). Still, I wonder if that's looking at it the wrong way. It's really TFA Part II and in that regard it is absolutely fabulous.

The reuse of the TFA main title is really annoying, though. And the end titles are undoubtedly a let down after TFA, definitely all over the place.

One thing I am worried about is the rest of the score. Will we ever actually get it? Considering how this film was spotted (nearly wall to wall), the OST is probably only a little more than half of it. The FYC is a dice roll, and then what? We only got a couple missing TFA cues from the home video release/video game. 

There's also the music from the deleted scenes we know was written and recorded, and probably a handful of alternates, so the OST may be less than half of everything recorded.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Since the Disney Blu-Rays have bonus features with 5.1 audio (with the music clean on the rear channels), you can already count on that.

On TFA, though, how much did we actually get from the Blu-ray that didn't have sound effects? You Need a Pilot is the only completely clean one I can think of. A couple of my favorite cues are still in rough shape - the first half of The Plan is perfect but then that siren comes in and kills it, Landing at Lightspeed is ruined too. I can't really get past the SFX.

18 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Rey's theme is pretty unremarkable and forgettable. When I heard it in the TLJ soundtrack I couldn't remember if that was it or not. 

The theme is presented more clear in TLJ than any version in TFA, where it was always a bit buried in sound effects. Major goosebumps when it first appeared in the movie. 

Regardless of your personal opinion of it, if you can’t recognize it after 2 years you’ve simply not taken the time to truly listen to it. 

If anything, rather than adding more new themes, John needs to kill some. It’s a bit of a leitmotif shitshow!

He no longer writes music! Just stitches themes together. 

2 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

I really like it. I just wish Williams wrote a proper concert arrangement of her theme. I'm surprised that he didn't considering how much it was used in the film.

Yes, I wish too.

I think I may have listened to this (track 7) 10 times already, but the juxtaposition of this with the other theme, doesn't work very well for me.

Rose's theme has been stuck in my head for the past two days, I think it's great and on par with Rey's theme. 

I still don't know what Dern's theme is or where it appears on album. I definitely didn't notice it in film. 

Only two new themes, right? 

There are probably two or three other small motifs somewhere in there. They might not even be on the album.

I really like the Rose material. I've yet to see how much presence it has in the film, though.

5 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Rose's theme has been stuck in my head for the past two days, I think it's great and on par with Rey's theme. 

I still don't know what Dern's theme is or where it appears on album. I definitely didn't notice it in film. 

Only two new themes, right? 

She doesn't have one, that was false early reports.

The only 2 major themes are the two that make up the concert arrangement: Rose's Theme and the new Luke / island theme

10 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Shall we call the latter "A master and an apprentice" theme? ;)

I dunno.  It first plays when Luke is doing stuff by himself (but Rey is watching), then when they're both together, then a third time when Rey's doing stuff by herself (but Luke is watching)

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh no, they're building yet another death star... :D

Don't put it past JJ Abrams to do that in Ep 9!

2 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

We can call it the 'First place when Luke is doing stuff by himself (but Rey is watching), then when they're both together, then a third time when Rey's doing stuff by herself (but Luke is watching)' Theme. 

What are they really doing by themselves? I'm curious :sarcasm:

3 hours ago, hornist said:

Maybe because it is just a decent theme, not especially remarkable!!

Finally you get it.

And I consider The Rebellion Is Reborn a concert suite. Just not a great one.

20 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

:lol: This sounded like a description of scenes from an erotic film!

:lol:

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What are they really doing by themselves? I'm curious :sarcasm:

This is a spoiler free thread, so:

It's introduced as Luke goes about his daily routine, before he's decided to help Rey.  It covers him swinging from one mountain cliff to another and getting some fish.  I don't remember the second time it plays, but the third time it plays is when Rey trains with Luke's lightsaber by herself, but Luke is watching from a distance.

2 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

If anything, rather than adding more new themes, John needs to kill some. It’s a bit of a leitmotif shitshow!

He no longer writes music! Just stitches themes together. 

Morricone has done the same thing all the freaking time.

1 minute ago, Muad'Dib said:

Morricone has done the same thing all the freaking time.

Word. Nino Rota too.

Like even a classic score like Cinema Paradiso is essentially literally just extended concert like theme performances. There's basically no underscore to speak of at all.

Williams is atleast far far far far far far from that.