THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

20 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

The full cue of Obi-Wan visiting Padme to ask where Anakin is, and saying "Anakin is the father isn't he?" is so good. Man, what happened to that John Williams? :(

Yes!! Why he got so much better for TLJ!!

10 minutes ago, Romão said:

That one is the only good dramatic scene in the whole of ROTS. Great scoring too

I wouldn't say that. The String arrangement of Lament for Obi-Wan confronting Anakin, and Immolation Scene are pretty awesome, and elevate their scenes. I would even say they make the scenes.

The General Grievous stuff I can happily live without.

4 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I wouldn't say that. The String arrangement of Lament for Obi-Wan confronting Anakin, and Immolation Scene are pretty awesome, and elevate their scenes. I would even say they make the scenes.

The General Grievous stuff I can happily live without.

Great scoring, I agree, but the scenes themselves just don't work for me

But the scene that you singled out between Obi and Padme is probably the only one where the scene itself and the scoring are working with each other and it's not just the score doing the heavy lifting

It probably has to do with the way I watched those movies. Which is: listening to the score, letting things that work with the music through to my brain, and zoning out the rest. 

I watched that movie because of its score in the first place anyway. Didn't watch it for the story.

I have question, couln't post it the other 

one cause its spoiler free, no track titles🙄

I have thought this a lot, never seen anything about it. 

TLJ, tr 11 The Fathiers

when it comes to full blown Rose's action theme, JW gives a little hint of the theme before he builds it to the full glory. I have heard it so many times, Fast Sreet of Shanghai and Pursuit of the Falcon etc. I just love this way to built up a theme!!

On 12/17/2017 at 6:08 AM, Docteur Qui said:

I've decided that the worst thing about the first 30 seconds of "The Fathiers" is that it doesn't go for longer. I challenge anyone to listen to it and not crack a smile.

Challenged accepted and failed. :D

Got a new receiver that plays all kinds of media files.  Downloaded this from HDTracks.  Whew boy, this music cooks.  The separation and depth is nothing short of astounding.  Especially for the Battle of Crait section featuring the TIE Fighter attack music, absolutely killer.  Every instrument comes through so clearly!  I can't recall a non specialty label JW release  that sounded this good since the Ultimate Edition of Phantom Menace.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Why don't you enlighten us with your theory about it, then?

I don't see why you have to be a dick about it. All I'm saying is that it appears at least five times on the OST and I think only one or two of them have to do with Holdo.

"Desperation" makes sense to me.

I wasn't, at all. You were cryptic in your posts about what you meant and instead of just sharing your opinion, you carried on if if I had made some sort of mistake about something that has a right or wrong answer, saying I was "inaccurate".  Just say what you mean next time instead of dragging out confusion.

Nobody else would think I was a dick.  Please reread the flow of conversation about this on the last page and tell me you weren't being cryptic and didn't immediately call an opinion "inaccurate". 

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nobody else would think I was a dick.  Read the flow of conversation about this on the last page and tell me you weren't being cryptic and didn't immediately call an opinion "inaccurate". 

I can handle people being dickish, especially if in a joking manner (which is common on this site) if there's a reason for it.

I didn't think I was being "cryptic" or calling an opinion "inaccurate" (yes I used the word "accurate" but I didn't mean it in a harsh way). I guess what I meant/should have said was "I don't think ascribing the theme to Holdo quite makes sense." I thought it was pretty clear that's what I meant. Guess I should choose my words better. You probably should too.

That's what I'm saying, yeah. If you had just said "I don't think it's for Holdo, I think it's ____", this all could have been avoided. Glad you understand now! :)

1 hour ago, DominicCobb said:

it appears at least five times on the OST and I think only one or two of them have to do with Holdo.

Where are the other statements of the theme besides in the End Credits and Chrome Dome?

FWIW I left the theater thinking there was no theme for Holdo, as I noticed her two big speeches were scored with the Resistance March. I only called that bit Holdo's Theme cause that's how others are referring to it for now.

After my first viewing of the film I knew there was some new material for Holdo/The Resistance. I hadn't memorised that theme or anything but it made enough of an impression on me that I could tell it was a repeating motif. The superb mix of the score definitely helped!

Initially I thought it might be related to the material he'd done for the earlier scene where

Spoiler

Rose's sister sacrifices herself

(the Battle of the Heroes part) but I was totally wrong there, as that never reappears and was seemingly unrelated. So personally I just consider the theme a 'Sacrifice/Bravery/Desperation of the Resistance' motif, as it underscores their plight against the First Order.

Just now, Taikomochi said:

I believe Holdo’s theme plays first in a sweeping romantic rendition as her and Leia are looking at each other after saying goodbye. It’s one of my most desired unreleased moments. 

Sounds fantastic and a possible FYC candidate. Let's hope!

Just now, Jay said:

FWIW I left the theater thinking there was no theme for Holdo, as I noticed her two big speeches were scored with the Resistance March. I only called that bit Holdo's Theme cause that's he others are referring to it for now.

I get that, which is why I didn't think disagreeing with calling it a theme for Holdo would be misinterpreted as a personal insult or anything. Just trying to be a part of the conversation in dissecting the film.

To that end

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

Where are the other statements of the theme besides in the End Credits and Chrome Dome?

I think this might be it in The Supremacy at 0:36

The Supremacy at 1:09

The Battle of Crait at 2:48

This one beautiful theme is the highlight of the score for me. It is tremendous and a great shame it only appears once in full (during a climactic lightsabre battle between Kylo & Rey) then one more abridged statement. I was listening out for this noble theme the whole time whilst sitting through the execrable movie. Williams at his very best. Hoping there might be just one more reference to it buried somewhere in the score. Hard to believe it's written specifically for Laura Dern's character...she's so passive. A great shame Maz Kanata was relegated to a hologram cameo. That CGI character should've replaced Dern. Anyway a marvellous marvellous theme from the master and criminally underused. 

I can't hear the theme I'm referring to in those clips Mr Cobb. Just to clarify here (as if to state the obvious) there is a brief incomplete statement of it at 0:26 on the track called "Chrome Dome" then a full statement of it at 5:48 in the End Credits. Entirely majestic and beautiful as fuck. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

His feet can't be that small, considering Gia had quite large shoes to fill.

:P

Working in a typo I didn't make, classy.

As far as Giacchino's shoes are concerned, TLJ score could have needed something like his Imperial Suite quite badly. Even that Verizon commercial music would have added to the Original thematic tapestry of TLJ, which is quite thin.

10 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Working in a typo I didn't make, classy.

As far as Giacchino's shoes are concerned, TLJ score could have needed something like his Imperial Suite quite badly. Even that Verizon commercial music would have added to the Original thematic tapestry of TLJ, which is quite thin.

The master of the Original film music has spoken!! 😜🤑😓

I actually don't know who you are, but since you have nothing of value to add and are only out for angry reactions, which I won't give to you, I may as well ignore you.

38 minutes ago, stravinsky said:

This one beautiful theme is the highlight of the score for me. It is tremendous and a great shame it only appears once in full (during a climactic lightsabre battle between Kylo & Rey) then one more abridged statement. I was listening out for this noble theme the whole time whilst sitting through the execrable movie. Williams at his very best. Hoping there might be just one more reference to it buried somewhere in the score. Hard to believe it's written specifically for Laura Dern's character...she's so passive. A great shame Maz Kanata was relegated to a hologram cameo. That CGI character should've replaced Dern. Anyway a marvellous marvellous theme from the master and criminally underused. 

I can't hear the theme I'm referring to in those clips Mr Cobb. Just to clarify here (as if to state the obvious) there is a brief incomplete statement of it at 0:26 on the track called "Chrome Dome" then a full statement of it at 5:48 in the End Credits. Entirely majestic and beautiful as fuck. 

It's a nice motif. I don't think it's the best new music to come out of this score but it is certainly exciting and very SW in sound. If I had a guess a more general "Resistance desperation" motif is what it is, rather than a specific Holdo theme. It's a strong new motif but I really can't recall hearing it in the movie. I assume it would have played throughout the space chase and Holdo's big scene but I just don't remember ever hearing it. I really want to see the movie again.

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

It's a nice motif. I don't think it's the best new music to come out of this score but it is certainly exciting and very SW in sound. If I had a guess a more general "Resistance desperation" motif is what it is, rather than a specific Holdo theme. It's a strong new motif but I really can't recall hearing it in the movie. I assume it would have played throughout the space chase and Holdo's big scene but I just don't remember ever hearing it. I really want to see the movie again.

Yes I agree with your "Resistance Desperation" idea. Its just trying to cling onto something good about this movie which was doggerel really. It's the music I'm  

most interested in like all of us saddos on here. 

The Rose theme is beginning to sound less Harry Potter like if I try to relate it in my head to the score for Ep IV. I also like the new Luke/Island theme. As I say the only time I heard this new Desperation theme at the movie last night was during the Ren/Rey battle (sounded similar to the material in the end credits but perhaps not the same) and the other reference may very well accompany something to do with L Dern. I'm just hoping there's another little filigree somewhere of this glorious tune. Exciting to think all of this music will be revealed to us by hook or by crook. These sequel trilogy scores a real return to form for Williams after the law of deminishing returns with the prequel scores which had great moments but somehow plastic and fake over all. Like the movies 

1 minute ago, stravinsky said:

Yes I agree with your "Resistance Desperation" idea. Its just trying to cling onto something good about this movie which was doggerel really. It's the music I'm  

most interested in like all of us saddos on here. 

The Rose theme is beginning to sound less Harry Potter like if I try to relate it in my head to the score for Ep IV. I also like the new Luke/Island theme. As I say the only time I heard this new Desperation theme at the movie last night was during the Ren/Rey battle (sounded similar to the material in the end credits but perhaps not the same) and the other reference may very well accompany something to do with L Dern. I'm just hoping there's another little filigree somewhere of this glorious tune. Exciting to think all of this music will be revealed to us by hook or by crook. These sequel trilogy scores a real return to form for Williams after the law of demonising returns with the prequel scores which had great moments but somehow plastic and fake over all. Like the movies 

Rose theme is nice but unremarkable and I really don't like the construction of The Rebellion is Reborn which features the cleanest renditions of her theme aside from Finale. It's just not a theme that sticks with me. I enjoy it more for it's orchestral broadness more than the melody itself, almost like Mutt's theme. 

Concerning the new Island Theme, although I like the music very much I also struggle with it. On it's own I think it fits very comfortably in the SW musical canon and has a distinct military sound to it. Personally I think works great as another Resistance theme of some sort. But as a theme for the island or Luke's island lifestyle, I think it is tonally off. I don't quite agree with the combination of the island imagery with this military sounding theme. Many parts of this score are confounding in this way for me.

I'm on board with the desperation interpretation, or at least a general Resistance theme. I'm beginning to think that seeming Battle of the Heroes quote is actually a precursor of this theme.

1 minute ago, aviazn said:

I'm on board with the desperation interpretation, or at least a general Resistance theme. I'm beginning to think this seeming Battle of the Heroes quote is actually a precursor of this theme.

https://youtu.be/u_OO9taOvG8?t=6m14s

You can embed youtube here. I love that musical moment because of how much it (I assume accidentally) resembles Battle of the Heroes. 

Yeah, I don't know why it's not working for me, but I think it's a problem on my end because YouTube is down for me at the moment.

Edit: Now it's back. Fixed previous post.

Just noticed right after the Battle of the Heroes-esque statement at 6:44, you get what could be considered another condensed precursor to the same theme.

The Supremacy is quickly becoming one of the highlights of the OST for me because it has action writing rooted in thematic material and big dramatic moments with wonderful melodies and an incredibly delicate touch from JW. I do with though that the music was presented a bit differently as it seems like some non-chronological editing could result in a more satisfying listening experience.

Does Luke's new theme borrow from the same musical ingredients as Jedi Steps/Rey's Theme? 

Giving the album more time to sink in, the score gets better with each listen. After seeing the film I knew the music was already a very detailed affair that one listen couldn't satisfy. 

I still can't shake the Quidditch quotes during the battle scenes, I'm trying, but it's difficult. 

I like to think of this score as TFA 2.0.

I can't shake the feeling that the new island/training theme might be derived from Luke's Theme. It would be interesting to compare the two melodies on paper and see if there's consistent notes.