THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

Me after seeing the film for the first time: "That movie wasn't particularly excellent, and the music didn't help."

Me after listening to the OST for the first time: "This is an excellent score. Now I want to see the film again..."

The first half is pretty much how I reacted too. It has taken me longer to come around to the OST. There are some stuff I really appreciate now that I barely noticed the first time but there are still a lot of moments if not complete tracks that I don't care for. However, I also can't wait to see the film again to see how my opinions on both film and music change.

I finished a very rough edit of the OST just for my own listening experience. I ended up including 16 out of 20 tracks, moved some tracks around a bit, and did some very rough editing to the starts/ends of some tracks. Until we get an FYC album, this is how I want to listen to TLJ.

On 12/13/2017 at 5:15 PM, bondo said:

For those of you who have seen the film and heard the score, do you have a close approximation of a chronological tracklist?  I've only heard the score, not seen the movie, and it thematically sounds out of order. Just a guess though.

On 12/18/2017 at 12:37 AM, Fal said:

So are we close to establishing a chronological order?

On 12/19/2017 at 7:26 AM, Richard said:

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but...is there a chronological running order, for TLJ?

01 Main Title and Escape (7:26)
02A [0:00-1:44] "Luke Meets Rey" (1:44)
03 Revisiting Snoke (3:29)
02B [1:44-end] "Luke's Daily Routine" (2:39)

10A [0:00-1:01] "Who Are You?" (1:01)
04 The Supremacy (4:01)
06A [0:00-2:00] "Luke and R2" (2:00)
05 Fun with Finn and Rose (2:34)
06B [2:00-end] "Luke and Rey to Cliffside" (2:29)
08 Lesson One (2:10)
09 Canto Bight (2:38)
10B [1:01-end] "Finn and Rose Escape" (2:03)
11 The Fathiers (2:42)
12 The Cave (3:00)
13 The Sacred Jedi Texts (3:33)
14 A New Alliance (3:13)
15 “Chrome Dome” (2:03)
16 The Battle of Crait (6:48)
17 The Spark (3:36)
18 The Last Jedi (3:04)
19 Peace and Purpose (3:08)
20 Finale (8:28)

Concert arrangement:

07 The Rebellion is Reborn (4:00)

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

To all those who have seen TLJ...how much unreleased music, is there?

The film is 2 1/2 hours long and is almost scored wall-to-wall.  The OST is 77 minutes long, but since 4 minutes of that is a concert arrangement, we really only have 73 minutes of score on the OST CD.  So, something like 75+ minutes or more remain unreleased.

I have to say, when I first got the album, "Chrome Dome" was one of my least favorite tracks, now its one of my most favorite!

My favorite sections of the OST are tracks 1-7 and then 16-20.  In the run of tracks from 8-15, only "Canto Bight" and "The Fathiers" are among my favorite tracks on the album.

Ha! Since when did Star Destroyers have offices?! What's next;  vending machines, water cooler moments, a brasserie, a Costa?

CANTO BIGHT sounds every CANTINA BAND track played at the same time, meets DEX'S DINER. I can't wait to see how it works in the film.

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Ha! Since when did Star Destroyers have offices?! What's next;  vending machines, water cooler moments, a brasserie, a Costa?

Don't you remember the brasserie in Ep. IV? Oh, wait, that was the Special Edition. :D

Oh I know you're kidding, but I've been seeing it online for 18 years where Star Wars characters are sort of ridiculed for being human, or at least depend on basic things that we take for granted in the real world. These characters aren't gods like Thor and Odin, they're just people.

1 minute ago, someonefun124 said:

I've always wondered when these characters have time to eat a well-balanced meal, especially in TLJ when they are constantly on the go.

I suspect one of the characters have irritable bowel syndrone (not mentioning who).

New action figure: Luke Skywalker (Ach-To) with working Sacred Outhouse playset. Pull the lever to hear authentic sounds taken from the film! 

Not sure if discussed, but is it possible the latter segment from 'The Spark' is also a development on the underpinnings from Rey's Theme in 'The Scavenger' which is a possible allusion to the Imperial March?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I have to say, when I first got the album, "Chrome Dome" was one of my least favorite tracks, now its one of my most favorite!

It is a wonderful track. One those Williams' pieces that one needs time to get in.

This is exactly why I do not understand that people here are almost competing who could bash John's new music first.

Here's the make-up of the end credits (OST track)

• 0:00-1:05 (1:05) = final scene of the movie
  • 1:05-1:50 (0:45) = '77 end credits opening
  • 1:50-2:40 (0:50) = Rose's Theme
  • 2:40-2:56 (0:16) = Leia's Theme on piano
  • 2:56-3:44 (0:48) = new Luke/Rey/Island Theme
  • 3:44-4:40 (0:56) = a section of "The Battle of Crait" (includes material not in the OST track)
  • 4:40-5:33 (0:53) = Yoda's Theme
  • 5:33-6:25 (0:52) = a section of "Holdo's Sacrifice" (unreleased film cue, chronologically this goes between "A New Alliance" and "Chrome Dome" if you want to edit it out and put it there)
  • 6:25-7:27 (1:02) = a section of "The Battle of Crait" (includes material not in the OST track)
  • 7:27-End (1:01) = Rey's theme ending

Here's the make-up of the end credits (in the film)

• 0:00-0:58 (0:58) = final scene of the movie
  • 0:58-1:44 (0:46) = '77 end credits opening
  • 1:44-2:34 (0:50) = Rose's Theme
  • 2:34-2:49 (0:15) = Leia's Theme on piano
  • 2:49-3:59 (1:10) = new Luke/Rey/Island Theme
  • 3:59-5:15 (1:16) = a section of "The Rebellion is Reborn"
  • 5:15-8:08 (2:53) = a section of "The Battle of Crait" (includes material not in the OST track)
  • 8:08-End (1:01) = Rey's theme ending

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

Do you have a recording of the film's credits?  How do you know the pieces down to the second?

An illegal recording.

He has posted illegally quite a few unreleased cues from it in another thread (or is it this thread? It's all very confusing...)

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Is there anything in the film credits that isn't on the OST, credits track or otherwise?

Maybe during the Battle of Crait portion, but that'd be it

I think we should name the nee Luke/Rey Island Theme as The Last Jedi Theme

And then that name will catch on amongst the masses... “Why isn’t the Last Jedi theme in The Last Jedi Theme Song Track??!”

I think it'll get confusing having a theme named the same as the movie. We've avoided that convention for every movie up until this point, haven't we?

For good reason too, considering it would confuse with track titles that use the film's title but are composed of other themes (Return of the Jedi, Revenge of the Sith, The Last Jedi).