THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

I just noticed that some material from Battle of Crait also appears at 4:35 in Escape (apologies if this was already brought up):

No copyrighted material can be hosted on JWFan servers, but of course you can put a youtube video or Soundcloud/Clyp audio or whatever else inside posts, people do it all the time

Anything that streams from some other server can be embedded in a post.  Youtube, Clyp, Soundcloud, Vimeo, Google Video, etc etc are all legit sites.  If something being streamed from there is some film score music that wasn't released on an OST album its of no concern to us, its not hosted on our servers.  But that being said, you can't link out to some piracy site or something. 

On 14/12/2017 at 10:15 PM, Jack said:

Other theme appearances are a lively and triumphant Poe’s Theme at 3:01

I've been trying really hard to hear that, but keep falling.

What am I missing...?

I would love a concert arrangement of Poe's theme together with some of the other smaller themes. Of course we got it in the Finale, but for this theme the more the better!

Here's a decent edit of the theme. Doesn't make completely sense when strung together like that, but still an interesting listen.

EDIT: Just realised Poe's theme is derived from the Force theme!

15 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Really, they're all just low men voices. But in Palpatine's teachings it was Tibetan-style overtone singing. Here it's just standard basso profundo.

I'm not talking about the choirs I'm talking about the other motif heard AFTER the choirs and when Palpatine kills Mace ! 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's the Resistance March at 3:01, Poe's Theme takes over at 3:09

Thanks! It's a bit tough to make out, so I'll just have to re-listen again.

Not a bad thing to have to do anyway. :D

On 12/19/2017 at 4:00 PM, leeallen01 said:

I think we should name the new Luke/Rey Island Theme as The Last Jedi Theme.

In my own headcanon, I'm going to just say that the last minute of The Spark is actually the Last Jedi Theme. 

I really wish the new island life theme didn't disappear after the first act or so. If it was truly a new theme for Rey's growth or Luke or the relationship between Rey and Luke I think JW would have used in the 3rd act as well as both characters have some cool moments. As it is, I think it is firmly an island life theme.

7 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Thanks! It's a bit tough to make out, so I'll just have to re-listen again.

Not a bad thing to have to do anyway. :D

It's lasts just for a couple of seconds.

6 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

In my own headcanon, I'm going to just say that the last minute of The Spark is actually the Last Jedi Theme. 

No, that's Bruckner's theme. :D

12 hours ago, Damien F said:

Some similarity... 

I remember seeing JNH talk about his career and he said that Williams came to his studio to mix something and to have a catch up, but now we know what Johnny was doing there. He was stealing music files for future use!

That JNH theme really is so corny.  It’s awful, but I guess that follows the film it’s from. Really puts into perspective how talented Williams is that he came up with a very similar melody, yet his version sounds so superior

Here is my review if anyone is curious about my opinion.

https://soundtrackworld.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-john-williams/

Now that I have published it, I can finally read everyone else's thoughts!

2 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

I’m sure you’re right. I wasn’t suggesting that he copied it. Rather that both composers independently arrived at similar themes, yet Williams’ was vastly superior 

They're both for vastly different films. You cannot compare quality with different subjects scored. 

What a great idea, comparing the score for a Star Wars space opera to that of a small scale kids movie, and then saying the former has more oomph than the latter, so the composer of the latter must be vastly inferior.

Why not compare JNH's King Kong to Memoirs Of A Geisha, that would make just as much sense.

6 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

I’m sure you’re right. I wasn’t suggesting that he copied it. Rather that both composers independently arrived at similar themes, yet Williams’ was vastly superior 

In 2010 or 2011 I composed kind of a motif and one year later I heard it in War Horse, of course vastly superior. I doubt that John Williams was at my house, but it is funny to know that we both had the same thoughts for a motif around the same time. It was also a nice moment sitting in the cinema and thinking: "Hmm, why do I know that theme?":lol:

In short: Coincidences happen!