THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

2 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

I've experienced extensive attacks over the years for my views - mainly because some people get pissy at me because I refuse to fill my posts with the phrase "in my opinion" or "IMHO" like a bunch of sycophantic disclaimer stickers. I've always hated it when people precede their point with that phrase more than once because it almost looks like they're pre-emptively apologising for their view to avoid backlash. And readers who demand its presence have a profound deficiency in reading comprehension as they lack the ability to recognise its redundancy, especially when overused.

I do that to avoid that. But I just do it, when I think that what I say is really just personal.

9 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Wrong, it's the people who love the score and who subjectively perceive criticism against it as an act of aggression - against the score and weirdly enough themselves - that act all offended and whiny with a "oh yeah, you too" attitude.

There's an unwritten rule among the longtime JW nerds on here, that criticism resulting in you not liking a JW score isn't allowed, and therefore it's dismissed as "bashing" or "trolling", when in fact, there are way too much easily triggered JW fans on the offense here.

This is true. But it doesn't change the fact that you comment acrimoniously on every second post which is positive about TLJ, as an apparent attempt to ruin the score for the people enjoying it.

Especially when almost any post attempting to discuss the score is immediately derailed by a vapid, pointless comment that's usually a variation of, "the score sucks and anyone dumb enough to like it is just in denial!" 

If people don't like the score, fair enough, but at least add something constructive to the conversation and spare us the tedious indignation.

That's fair.

But I do think the detractors of the score also brought up some valuable points: the relatively sparse new thematic material being perhaps the most prominent issue.

7 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

That's it... I hate this! It is revolting!

More? 

KM was incredibly disappointed with TFA while I was gushing over it from the moment I pressed play back in December of 2015.

TLJ is a true disappointment.

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

No sure how you can actively hate a new JW star wars score if your a JWfan

You can at worse be disappointed. I was disappointed at TFA initially and said so a few times but didn't come back every 2 posts about it

Nobody here, except 1 or 2 maybe, ever used the word "hate" in earnest about the TLJ score experience as a whole. Plenty described it as dissapointing, uninspired, average etc, but not hate.

And yet, voicing feelings like disappointment are interpreted as hate by plenty JW hardcores anyway, so they react with hate to something that wasn't hate to begin with.

Of course detractors of the score brought up good points, but they are mostly being ignored.

It's good to know I'm not alone in my disappointment. I missed the release of the score and movie because my life doesn't revolve around Star Wars. It revolves around Titanic. I'm a little late to the party, but I'm just as disappointed with TLJ as Darth Sidious was with Darth Vader's charred remains. I'm not sure this one can be salvaged.

21 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Nobody here, except 1 or 2 maybe, ever used the word "hate" in earnest about the TLJ score experience as a whole. Plenty described it as dissapointing, uninspired, average etc, but not hate.

And yet, voicing feelings like disappointment are interpreted as hate by plenty JW hardcores anyway, so they react with hate to something that wasn't hate to begin with.

Of course detractors of the score brought up good points, but they are mostly being ignored.

And those who praise the score bring up good points about it, but they are mostly ignored. It's a no-win discussion.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

If TLJ is a disappointment, TFA is a root canal.

TFA has at least some good action music. All TLJ has is The Force theme every 5 seconds. 

I thought Rey's theme was unremarkable and forgettable, and then Rose's theme showed up.  I'll be listening to TFA a hundred times more than TLJ. 

Excuse me. TFA had Rey's Theme, March of the Resistance, Scherzo for X-Wings, Follow Me, Torn Apart, The Trip, Jedi Steps and Finale etc.

Nothing in TLJ even comes close to that stuff.

6 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

It's good to know I'm not alone in my disappointment. I missed the release of the score and movie because my life doesn't revolve around Star Wars. It revolves around Titanic. 

It's brilliant quips like this that make me return to even the most leaden threads here.

13 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What a silly post.

The Fathiers, The Escape, The Last Jedi, A New Alliance, The Battle of Crait, Holdo's Resolve, Chrome Dome etc. do not exist?

Rebellion is Reborn and Rey's Journey are worthy mentions, too.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

What a silly post.

The Fathiers, The Escape, The Last Jedi, A New Alliance, The Battle of Crait, Holdo's Resolve, Chrome Dome etc. do not exist?

Prime example of what I was talking about.

He posts that he thinks the individual tracks in TLJ don't reach the impact and cohesiveness of TFA (which I wholeheartedly agree with), and you react all offended and snobbish by referring to his impression as "silly".

Following this rather simple- and narrowminded method, I could just as well say that you'd have to be practically tone-deaf in order to compare a relatively simplistic and abrasive cue like Chrome Dome to something like Scherzo For X-Wing or March Of The Resistance.

You could have just said "man, I don't think so", but you just couldn't help insulting him. And not in good humor, too.

Kindergarten, dude.

what boring and pointless complaining.

thank you @Falstaft for actually meaningfully talking about the score, this is a very entertaining read so far and I am very much a fan of the dispersal of hyperlinks that prove the point you're making in the article. it was a real treat to hear back-to-back renditions of the March of the Resistance that evoked a very different emotional feel. would love to see more from you on TLJ!

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

Least good, better phrase?

Well, it is a good score. I don't  even think its the "least" good of the lot - its more extrovert than The Force Awakens, it has a richer palette (orchestra, diegetic "jazz" instruments, SATB choir, taiko drums) and the film-mix is divine.

I like parts of it very much: Rose's theme is excellent stuff! And that quote of Luke and Leia just about brought tears to my eyes, but beyond that - its just good. I don't think its an excellent score by any means, sorry. I wish I did, but I don't. And I do think some of the very high praise its recieving here right now will diminish over time.