THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

8 hours ago, Jerry said:

SENSELESS HUMAN BEING: I didn't like Empire because I heard that Binary Sunset again. I'm really upset about the lack of purity in the "new" soundtrack.

Empire is a score based firmly in new thematic material: with the Imperial March, Love theme, Yoda’s theme, Cloud City, Boba Fett as well as plenty of none-thematic setpieces like the Asteroid Field And Battle of Hoth.

The Last Jedi has less in the way of new material, leitmotivic or otherwise. Also, where in Empire a lot of the existing themes are very varied (Luke's in minor, etc) in The Last Jedi they are often very fimiliar: Not just Binary Sunset but also lifts from the concert arrangements of Leia, Vader and Yoda, to name just a few, some fimiliar statements of Rey's theme, etc...

7 hours ago, Jerry said:

Is not this website and chat group setup to honor and praise JW and the greatest of soundtrack?

I thought it's for constructive criticism and debate too.

Praising everything a man does, whoever that is, doesn't seem very healthy to me and certainly doesn't promote "thought".

I said it several times: its a far more extrovert score, yes.

But the comparison to Empire Strikes Back is unwarranted: There's so much new thematic material in there, that you don't mind the existing themes popping up here and there. In The Last Jedi, existing material makes a much larger portion of the score, in a way that is very uncharacteristic to Williams.

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

You seem awfully occupied on pinning Williams for using old themes in a new score.

I'm not occupied with this, Williams is!

In his serialized scores, he always, ALWAYS stresses that each new score is based predominatly on new themes. Its just weird to see him just about abandon that rule with this score.

From what I gather, the use of existing themes was intentional.  Whether that was decided by Rian, Williams, combination of both, I don't know.  Regardless, it was a creative decision and, IMO, doesn't affect the score in a negative way.

19 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Look. Whose in TLJ?

Snoke, Kylo Ren, Rey, Luke, Ach-To Island, the Resistance, the First Order, Leia, the Millenium Falcon, etc.

Don't all these things have themes already?

What do you want Williams to do? Start over?.

Composers find ways to keep things fresh even when the film doesn't introduce too many new narrative elements. 

I think the source of the issue is that Williams didn't write a lot of new leitmotives for this film, so he couldn't fill the score with them and had to fall back on the prexisting themes.

Its not beyond Williams to write a new theme to an existing character.

26 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

I suppose if you're up to your eighth score in a single franchise (whoops, don't call it that, or else zealous SW fans will howl for blood), you've probably said all that needs to be said with your music.

couldn't agree more!

Honestly, I'd be somewhat surprised if he didn't win the Oscar. Aside from Phantom Thread, none of the competition this year has really stood out much.

4 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Williams has zero chance of winning even if we all prefer TLJ (or if we don’t, as for some.)

The Oscars lately have been putting hype above art.  TLJ is, for all its weaknesses, superior to most if not all of what was written this year.  The Shape of Water has the hype, and Desplat is not a hack.    

42 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

The Oscars lately have been putting hype above art.  TLJ is, for all its weaknesses, superior to most if not all of what was written this year.  The Shape of Water has the hype, and Desplat is not a hack.    

It's not necessary to stress elusive unwritten rules for the Oscars, them being about hype and the hyped film's score just tagging along, or something.

There were plenty of years when Williams should have won and didn't, especially for 2005, but in 2018, it's just basic: other scores are just far more original than The Last Jedi.

In that sense, if the unwritten Oscar rule of an inferior score winning holds true, then I suppose TLJ does have a shot.

Also, is it fair to say you are out of your mind if you compare TLJ to ESB? Of the post-1977 Williams scores, it's tough to find another pair of scores where the difference in originality and quality is that significant.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

It's not necessary to stress elusive unwritten rules for the Oscars, them being about hype and the hyped film's score just tagging along, or something.

There were plenty of years when Williams should have won and didn't, especially for 2005, but in 2018, it's just basic: other scores are just far more original than The Last Jedi.

In that sense, if the unwritten Oscar rule of an inferior score winning holds true, then I suppose TLJ does have a shot.

Also, is it fair to say you are out of your mind if you compare TLJ to ESB? Of the post-1977 Williams scores, it's tough to find another pair of scores where the difference in originality and quality is that significant.

ESB is Williams's greatest Star Wars score, one of his top scores period, and on the short list for best film score, if not ever then certainly of the past 50 years.  It is a classic, an actual great piece of music in the tone poem vein. 

TLJ is a decent film score.  It does not transcend.  

Edit: In response to @Taikomochi

Yes, but in this case, I wouldn't say The Last Jedi "transcends" for the most part (as if it was an angel on Earth that must find its staircase to heaven). I enjoy quite a lot of The Last Jedi's music to quite an extent, but overall I get a certain self-awareness in this score from John Williams that I haven't quite heard before. Elements that make it seem like he's thinking, "Gee, how fun is it that I'm scoring another Star Wars motion picture and writing more Star WarsTM music." Like in all the dramatic moments he'll score with minor triad trumpet fanfares...it's cute.

Though Empire Strikes Back is not my favorite, the opening several cues really take me on a very enveloping and absorbing journey...as I said before, you wouldn't believe he thought of scoring Star Wars as a fun kiddie's adventure from just how powerful and deep the music could get. Sadly, those moments are few in The Last Jedi. 

Was TESB considered transcendent at the time of the release or did it become acknowledged as such over time?  Sure, it was nominated for an Oscar but then the voters gave the win to Fame.

TESB was one of the scores that really established Williams's reputation as a consummate composer. 

As Nick says above, Williams was really creating something deep back then.  He was forging a new path.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

I must have stumbled into an alternate universe of willful ignorance, where people simply ignore the actual contents of the score when critiquing it. The same universe where Rose's Theme, Holdo's Theme and Luke's Exile Theme don't exist, where they don't feature in a bounty of variations throughout the film in unreleased cues, alongside a further handful of new motifs that reoccur throughout the complete score.

I understand people being disappointed in the score as presented on album.

My memory of the score as presented in the film isn't much different. Still a lot of old material. If it were any different, Williams will have arranged his OST differently. But the full score is constructed such that creating an OST presentation that isn't based on old material became an impossibility.

Oh, and Williams generally constructs his OSTs so that all the leitmotives are represented on album and/or end-credits. There is no "further handful of new motifs." There are the three motifs you mentioned, and there's material regarding the First Order which, I think, first gets restated in this score. Unless we go into the realms of over-analysis, than that's it. c'est tout.

It's the same stuff repackaged with inferior performance connected by uninteresting filler music.

Certain people here said more or less the same thing about ROTS. It wasn't true then. It's not always true here, but it frequently is. TLJ is very KOTCS-esque.

1 hour ago, Philippe Roaché said:

It's the same stuff repackaged with inferior performance connected by uninteresting filler music.

Certain people here said more or less the same thing about ROTS. It wasn't true then. It's not always true here, but it frequently is. TLJ is very KOTCS-esque.

Oooh, now, see, I wouldn't go that far. I think, for example, if you compare the action music between the two, TLJ's cues have an energy and vibrance to them that KOTCS (aside from maybeThe Jungle Chase and variations) never really approaches and ultimately prevents me from putting the two scores in the same bin. 

I hated KOTCS after listening to the soundtrack album. But after listening to the full score my opinion of the score changed drastically. It is now one of my favourite JW scores from the '00s. 

TLJ I still haven't warmed to fully (although I admit I haven't tried that hard). 

3 hours ago, gkgyver said:

KotCS had at least 3 concert arrangements, Mutt, Irina, Crystal Skull, had setpieces with the Snake Pit and Whirl Through Academe, and had very good Russian villain music.

All of the above is superior to TLJ.

KotCS had a superb theme (Irina's theme) which if it had been composed for a film-noir of the 50s it would be classic now!

By the way, the ost didn't have a concert arrangement of this theme.

it was just 2 cues (I think?) together?

The real concert arrangement hasn't been officially released from what i remember