THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

Yeah I believe the OST track is an editorial creation, combining an early film cue with part of the credits suite.

Then he made a proper concert piece for her theme down the track.

On 18/02/2018 at 6:10 PM, JohnSolo said:

I think we all can agree that TLJ is the best Star Wars score of 2017. That much is certain.

I hope Kevin Kiner doesn't read this but yes, you are correct.

8 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Everything is either a "masterpiece" or "really shitty".

"Bravo!" The Washington Post

"Jerry's last post is a masterpiece" The San Francisco Chronicle

"Sheer bloody poetry" The Times

"Really shitty" The Australian 

Its been posted here before (by the author, no less), but it still leaves me cold. So The March of the Ressistance gets development. Hurray.

You anti-TLJ folk are off the deep end[...]it further reiterates the stupidity of posts above that relentlessly paint TLJ as some lazy, "cut and paste" effort. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Not that I consider myself an "anti-TLJ" person, but don't you two think you're taking things a little too far, calling whatever negative remarks that people make of this score as flat out "stupid", "farthest from the truth", "off the deep end", etc?

Can you really not see the issues that people take with this score, at all? For instance:

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Would love to know how Rose's, Luke's or Holdo's themes are just, "recycled from the OT," 

Those aren't recycled - the rest of the material often is.

I think part of the issue is just that: Williams wrote three new leitmotives for this, where he usually averages about twice as much for each new score. Because he had less new themes to work with (and at least one of them, the desperation motif, doesn't fully materialize until the midpoint), he had to rely on quoting existing themes far more often than he usually does, throughout. And because of how numerous those quotes are, it became impossible to escape some of the existing variations.

I still like it more than Giacchino's Rogue One (which I also enjoyed), although I also like this movie more.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I think part of the issue is just that: Williams wrote three new leitmotives for this, where he usually averages about twice as much for each new score.

Fuck, talk about first world problems.

Now, that's an interesting question! I think giving another leitmotif to the Luke storyline and alternating between that and the motif that we already got, could have helped. It would give Williams something to use during the scenes on the island where Luke isn't in sight, rather than flogging Rey's theme through those sections of the film.

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Do you even realise how obnoxious that comment is, in a thread dedicated to discussing the score? Would you like it if I went into every Lord of the Rings thread and made similar comments about Shore's scores?

"Oh, so he develops the Hobbiton theme in The Two Towers. Pfft, whatever! Why didn't he write seventeen new themes for Hobbiton instead? Shore's a hack!"

No, I don't see it as abnoxious in the slightest. I'm not deriding the article itself. It was a very engaging read. I believe I gave Lehman's post a "like" at the time I just don't think that pointing out the development that an anchiliary theme undergoes is nearly enough to drastically change my (or indeed anyone's) opinion on the score.

And as you said it: this thread is dedicated to discussing the score, not dedicated to heaping praise on it. If someone has a negative opinion of this score, even a stronly negative one (which I don't have), his posts should be treated with civility.

And again, those Shore comparisons do you little credit. When The Two Towers came out, you didn't see Shore boasting how "95% of the music is new" or "there are only six minutes of material using themes from previous films" the way Williams so often does. That's because a) it isn't true and b) Shore doesn't work like that, but Williams does!

27 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Oh, really? Can you please post a single quote from Williams claiming any such thing about his score for The Last Jedi? He commented that TFA had about 8 minutes of existing themes but the rest is new, and I'm yet to see any evidence that contradicts this.

As for your comment about 'how composers work', I must have missed the Supreme Court ruling that all composers needed to conform to your opinion of their workflow. Who are you to claim "how Williams works" or "how Shore works"? Such a naive comment to make about any artist, much less one with the breadth and diversity of work that Williams has.

Williams didn't say that about The Last Jedi because that's clearly not true of that score. But he did make such statements not just about The Force Awakens, but about most (if not all) of his Star Wars scores, and in fact most of his scores to serialized franchises. I think the only time where he admitted to relying more heavily than usual on existing themes is Revenge of the Sith, it being a "bridging" score, but even that score still has more themes and certainly more of its own character, compared to The Last Jedi.

As for how composers work, I'm not stating my opinion, I'm looking into how the composers describe their work in their own words. Williams always speaks about "writing new material that co-exists with the previous themes" whereas Shore, especially with third installments, openly speaks about taking the existing themes and "pitting" them against one another.

I like this score. I just don't love it nearly as much as you do; shoot me.

8 minutes ago, Score said:

which makes your comment out of place. Also, check on the dictionary the meaning of "boasting". I cannot imagine a word which is less appropriate to describe anything JW has ever said in his life about his own work. Sometimes you have a point in what you say (sometimes you don't), but you almost always use disparaging words when you refer to JW.

Ah, I see.

Well, that's certainly not my intention. Thanks for pointing it out. I had no idea.

In my defense, I do believe I'm the only one in this forum writing in English, whose native language is not an Indo-European one, so occasionally words fail me. In saying "boast" I certainly didn't mean anything negative by it. I'm just saying that, until now, Williams has taken a lot of pride (as well he should) in writing scores that were each based predominantly on new themes. To see him break away from that tradition with this score is, to me, puzzling and even somewhat disheartening.

We really need to wait until we have the film in Bluray. But it does seem far more based on themes from the first trilogy and from The Force than on the new themes. Which is understandable when you only have three of those.

There's also something to be said about how much these revisited themes are varied or not. I love Leia's concert arrangement, but it was wierd hearing it when Leia was pulling her Marry Poppins act. Same with Yoda's theme.

I will say. I don't think Last Jedi is bad by any means, and I think most of the old material appearances are fine, but I was utterly sick of the Force Theme by the end of the OST. I didn't feel that way after watching the film though, so it might be more spread out and less significant in the grand scheme of the film. The OST on the other hand has way too much of it.

13 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I will say. I don't think Last Jedi is bad by any means, and I think most of the old material appearances are fine, but I was utterly sick of the Force Theme by the end of the OST. I didn't feel that way after watching the film though, so it might be more spread out and less significant in the grand scheme of the film. The OST on the other hand has way too much of it.

I agree. That's my main criticism of the TLJ soundtrack, which otherwise I very much enjoy. Way too much Force Theme. And if Williams was going to use older themes from the SW series, why is Luke's Theme (or whatever the Main Title theme is called these days) completely absent except for the opening crawl? This installment, more than any of the other of the new trilogy, is all about Luke. Yet his theme is nowhere to be found.

It seems pretty clear to me that Luke’s theme no longer really represents Luke. It’s usage in TFA was more as a feeling of nostalgia and for the occasional “fuck yeah” moment like Scherzo. I’m not sure why people keep expecting it to be associated with him because that would not be consistent with how Williams has been using it as of late.

That’s not to say I wouldn’t like more thematic material associated with Luke used in TLJ but that theme in particular represents him in name only at this point.