THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

I haven’t yet seen TLJ but I remember several moments in TFA where I assumed there were micro edits, especially in the first track, and found out while watching the film that that was the way it was written!  (And I know there are micro edits in that track, but the actual edits I did not notice immediately)

Its been known for 2 years now Rey's theme is based on aspects of The Force Theme.

1 minute ago, Taikomochi said:

I haven’t yet seen TLJ but I remember several moments in TFA where I assumed there were micro edits, especially in the first track, and found out while watching the film that that was the way it was written!  (And I know there are micro edits in that track, but the actual edits I did not notice immediately)

I felt pretty sure all the Kylo Ren and Resistance March stuff in the opening was tracked in when i saw the film.

I will say, as with TFA, the Hollywood musicians  dont make me miss the LSO. 

A very strong performance.

And it sounds like the opening title March is just the TFA reused?

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

While I'm sure there are microedits, since they appear in virtually every JW OST, I doubt they are the reason it sounds so frantic. 

It actually plays very much like I remember it in the film. 

But all Prequels , especially TPM , were hacked to death in the film too

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It fits with the rest of the score though, which is full of sudden transitions, tempo changes, key changes etc.

It sounds like John Williams on meth!

That’s the best description of this score.  He should do more meth.

1 minute ago, Remco said:

The performance of the LA orchestra is simply outstanding, I don’t see how anyone could question that. Especially now it’s mixed in a way that’s more close to the prequel scores, I thought it would please those who “miss” the LSO.

I don’t want to sound like a dick, but it’s kind of funny that there’s this endless debate about the sound difference between two world class orchestras, when quite some members here couldn’t tell that the Verizon commercial music had synth in it.

Right on.

It all comes down to mix/mastering/recording techniques. Not so much to the players themselves.

Album sounds GREAT and performances are world-class.

Yeah I must say that’s very strange. In cinema the opening made a far bigger impact than I remember with TFA, but the recording on album sounds like it’s the same.

More royalties to Dudamel..?

Still not able to hear the full score, but 3 pieces are now on youtube so I can get my fix a little.

Almost flipped out when I heard Yoda's theme in Sacred Jedi Texts! 

And I feel like I should know what this is at 1:43 - 2:05.  Is it trying to be Yoda? Rey? Anakin's theme? 

4 minutes ago, Remco said:

Yeah I must say that’s very strange. In cinema the opening made a far bigger impact than I remember with TFA, but the recording on album sounds like it’s the same.

They probably cranked the volume up to eleven at your local cinema.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It fits with the rest of the score though, which is full of sudden transitions, tempo changes, key changes etc.

It sounds like John Williams on meth!

True. Plays more like a mixture of JW's greatest hits in the action department, a collection of variations on Williams most reliable action riffs.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They probably cranked the volume up to eleven at your local cinema.

Ha, well they certainly did. Still it sounded like a different recording, which makes sense given RJ has said that they re-recorded it.

But maybe I misheard it in all my excitement!

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And you don't like that?

I like the score. I like its energy. I just wish it had something stronger to tie it all together, or more of its own personality. TFA wins in that department.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

I don't think anyone would argue that. I was just trying to make the point that I don't think the TLJ's highlights rival some of the prequels' best.

Eh, I've never been a massive fan of AOTC - score or movie. I mean it's Williams, so it's GOOD. But probably my least favorite of the series.

Just now, RadJ said:

Eh, I've never been a massive fan of AOTC - score or movie. I mean it's Williams, so it's GOOD. But probably my least favorite of the series.

of ALL the series?

My ranking would be something like this:

ESB -> ANH -> ROTJ -> ROTS -> TPM -> AOTC -> TFA -> TLJ

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Agreed!

Amen!

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

of ALL the series?

My ranking would be something like this:

ESB -> ANH -> ROTJ -> ROTS -> TPM -> AOTC -> TFA -> TLJ

Once again, we see eye to eye!

Although ROTS and TPM switch places occasionally, depending on my mood.

15 minutes ago, hornist said:

People are making lists already, after few days:lol: And probably not seen the film:lol: ahd have heard 50% ofvthe music:lol:but they love each others opinions:lol:

AS I've said in another forum:

If I said that the score is a masterpiece and the greatest ever, noone would have a problem, and noone would tell me "please, let it grow on you to see if it's indeed a masterpiece" etc.

By the way, aren't you the one that had listened to some seconds of the Book Thief and evaluated it as the greatest Williams score ever?

Or was it someone else? I may be mistaken.

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

By the way, aren't yout he one that had heard some seconds of the Book Thief and evaluated as the greatest Williams score ever?

Or was it someone else?I may be mistaken.

Yup, pretty sure that was him.

For hornist, every Williams score that comes out is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

I listened to some random album tracks this morning on my way in to work.

I think whoever pointed this out earlier was right:   "The Rebellion Is Reborn", from 0:00-1:28 sounds like a film cue.  The rest of the track IS clearly concert/album material.  Either a full concert arrangement, or an "album extension" of some kind.

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

If I said that the score is a masterpiece and the greatest ever, noone would have a problem, and noone would tell me "please, let it grow on you to see if it's indeed a masterpiece" etc.

Actually, I don't think that's true at all, specially not on this MB

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I listened to some random album tracks this morning on my way in to work.

I think whoever pointed this out earlier was right:   "The Rebellion Is Reborn", from 0:00-1:28 sounds like a film cue.  The rest of the track IS clearly concert/album material.  Either a full concert arrangement, or an "album extension" of some kind.

well, the introduction also sounds like a formal concert introduction.

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

AS I've said in another forum:

Enough people around here would do that, I get the impression. 

Anyway, I think it’s too early to call it either a masterpiece or place it as anyone’s least favorite score. I don’t like to do these kind of rankings anyway, but that’s another story.

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

well, the introduction also sounds like a formal concert introduction.

You think so?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

You think so?

Yes.There are many bars of introduction to the theme, and it doesn't seem to me  that something like this would be in the film.

But I may be proven wrong. It's just an evaluation.

3 minutes ago, FC4L said:

3 tracks in and it's beautiful. How it builds on TFA themes brings them into cohesion much better I feel. 13.5 hours and I'll know how it all fits together!

Hell yeah