THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Geez, some frantic brass in track 1!

Love how JW weaves a tad of his Jedi Temple concert extension in track 2. Just a little bit

The frantic brass in The Escape is nothing compared to the frantic brass in The Fathiers!

Just now, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Did anyone else catch the Poe's theme intervals at 3:09? Nice segue-in from the Resistance theme.

Which track?

Sorry- edited my comment right after I realized I forgot to put which track. It's in track 1.

Also, while on the topic, I'm REALLY loving hearing the Resistance theme in 3/4 time at 3:02, same track. Nice change from all previous renditions of the theme.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

This feels more "Prequel" like that the score for TFA, so far.

not when you get further in

Oh and some the music from the trailer is in The Spark, so it was JW after all

2 minutes ago, king mark said:

not when you get further in

Oh and some the music from the trailer is in The Spark, so it was JW after all

The trailer-trash version was obviously a diff rec/samples, but after listening to the OST I think it was definitely modeled after JW.

maybe the Kylo Ren theme over it in the trailer is unreleased music

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I barely paid attention to any of the trailers.  Which trailer features that?

the last one and the Nissan  car commercial I posted last week

3 minutes ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

The trailer-trash version was obviously a diff rec/samples, but after listening to the OST I think it was definitely modeled after JW.

The trailer composers took the ostinato bass idea and built over it.

OK watched the Nissan commercial.  Interesting.

The trailer is 4+ minutes long, what timestamp features the Imperial Marth rhythm thingy?

Nevermind, it comes in fairly early.  How interesting that was a TLJ idea all along!  It sounds modified by a trailer company for that trailer, for sure

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I found it to kind of be a blend of the OT and PT, stylistically.

Pretty much what I took from it.

32 minutes ago, Loert said:

The recording quality is almost identical but the performance is quite different. I find it better - broader and more majestic. :music:

I'm not so sure. I opened both up in GoldWave - the waveforms are almost identical and it has the same editorial skip. The only discernable difference I can find is the mastering is different, to match that of the rest of the score, but I'm pretty positive the Main Title, at least on the OST, is the same one as TFA.

Some great tempo changes in Rebellion Is Reborn!

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I found it to kind of be a blend of the OT and PT, stylistically.

The syncopated flute runs and xylophones are back!

Also, the percussion is far more presents. TFA was mostly brass and strings in its action music.

I really like The Battle of Crait A LOT.  The return of TIE Fighter Attack is completely fine to me - its integrated well, and SOUNDS great.

8 minutes ago, Gistech said:

I'm not so sure. I opened both up in GoldWave - the waveforms are almost identical and it has the same editorial skip. The only discernable difference I can find is the mastering is different, to match that of the rest of the score, but I'm pretty positive the Main Title, at least on the OST, is the same one as TFA.

After actually going back and listen to the TFA recording, I think you may be right. I'll be interested in comparing the two waveforms myself to see what the specific differences are. I must have subconsciously been thinking about a different performance...

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I really like The Battle of Crait A LOT.  The return of TIE Fighter Attack is completely fine to me - its integrated well, and SOUNDS great.

I got chills listening to that track for the first time. After it being teased in Jedi, I LOVE that he brought it back in full force here!

Of course, if this version is a rewrite, and he originally wrote something that didn't rehash ANH material, I've love to hear that as a bonus track on an expanded release one day :)

I have listened to it completely.

When i listened to TFA i thought its star wars but not really, being used to the old star wars sound this one caught me off guard it was a very modern non star wars john williams score for me. Now i do appreciate it, its in my top 3 and while the lack of old themes was something that i really i didnt enjoy it still did have some charm.

TLJ is the opposite of all that. I liked it from the first second to the last. Old themes are way more present here with some pleasant surprises and some carie fisher hommage as well.

Its bombastic, its badass, its developped, its a bit of a ESB returns in a sense.

I just have two negative points.

The jedi Step theme doesnt really have his chance in this one

Rey's theme, I would have hoped for a developement as well, the theme is really shy in this one, it doesnt really take off.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Of course, if this version is a rewrite, and he originally wrote something that didn't rehash ANH material, I've love to hear that as a bonus track on an expanded release one day :)

25 years from now...i'll be dead

3 minutes ago, Orgasm[+]Donor. said:

Rey's theme, I would have hoped for a developement as well, the theme is really shy in this one, it doesnt really take off.

about half the score is unreleased....

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Christ! Already worrying about unreleased alternates?

I start worriying about alternates and unreleased music after my first listen

14 minutes ago, Orgasm[+]Donor. said:

I just have two negative points.

I completely agree with both those points.

5 minutes ago, king mark said:

The recurring themes from TFA are all better than they actually were in TFA

That's nuts to me.  Rey's Theme is particular is amazing in TFA and doesn't REALLY do much here.  There is nothing in TLJ like the giant, sweeping moment of Rey's theme in Farewell and the Trip.

I do agree that the Resistance March is MUCH more interesting in TLJ than in TFA, for sure!

Snoke's Theme is about the same in either score.

Kylo Ren's themes.... maybe TLJ is slightly better.

Finn's Theme only makes a small cameo on the OST.

Poe's Theme isn't on the OST.

I am a huge fan of TFA score.  So far, for me, this exceeds it in every way.  I am utterly in love with this.  And that is rare for me on a first listen.  Rose's theme brought an instant smile to my face.  Having not seen the film yet, my excitement now could not be higher.  Williams writing feels incredible exciting, inspired, like he was enjoying himself immensely!  I'll be listening to this non stop.

Just finished it.

Nothing unexpected. Nothing impressive..

What you would expect from an 8th Star Wars score after all the "good" material has been used.

I think this is far from a new Empire Strikes back score like some mentioned.

That score had so many new and great themes! Not to mention that the first star wars scores sounded more unified as a whole.

In these latest Star Wars soundtracks I hear scenes scored and not a film scored.

6 minutes ago, king mark said:

The recurring themes from TFA are all better than they actually were in TFA

To sum it up, this was my most exciting first listen of a JW score since Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I 100% agree with you, KM. 

1 hour ago, KK said:

The closing statement of Rey's theme in the end credits is quite nice.

I think I like it just as much if not more than the end of "Jedi Steps and Finale". 

Quite satisfied by this. With one listen and no cinematic context yet (plus all the unreleased stuff) I do feel like this is less cohesive than TFA but with an overall richer and more powerful sound. I do kinda wonder now if the rewrites or Williams' health in 2015 contributed to that sounding a little leaner and more stripped down, but this brings back a lot of the prequel bells and whistles that I missed in that one. Love a lot of the callbacks, particularly think Resistance March and Leia's Theme are better than ever.

But the lack of new material to really center the album is missed. Rose's Theme is nice but short, the action stuff is mostly anonymous with just very brief and simple identities like the horn rips in The Fathiers. I actually kinda like that new militaristic Holdo (?) motif from Rebellion is Reborn, it's dime a dozen stuff but sort of catchy in its way.

Anyway, I assume more listens and seeing the film a couple times will bring out some clearer structure. It's a fun album, worth the wait!

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

I do feel like this is less cohesive than TFA but with an overall richer and more powerful sound.

Yea, that sounds about right.

But the lack of new material to really center the album is missed. Rose's Theme is nice but short, the action stuff is mostly anonymous with just very brief and simple identities like the horn rips in The Fathiers.

Yup, agreed!

I actually kinda like that new militaristic Holdo (?) motif from Rebellion is Reborn, it's dime a dozen stuff but sort of catchy in its way.

Is that what that other idea in that track is?

Anyway, I assume more listens and seeing the film a couple times will bring out some clearer structure. It's a fun album, worth the wait!

It's the most fun John Williams album in quite some time!