THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

There was something about the TFA action music that felt a bit off , like Jakku Village Massacre and cues like Follow me and The Falcon. I could never get into those cues

The action music in TLJ seems music more old style JW and exciting

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

On first listen it feels like underscore build around existing themes, not a while load of new themes. Though we do have Rose's Theme and the new First Order march.

in what track?

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Poe's Theme isn't on the OST.

Yes it is! "Peace and Purpose" at 1:54.

And as somebody else said, I think there's a hint of it coming out of that first new Resistance March statement in "Main Title and Escape" but a little more arguable. Those 4 notes at 3:09 just remind me of it in "The Resistance", but it's a weird one because it also follows a similar shape to how the Resistance March melody continues....but not exactly. I think it's closer to Poe's Theme. So if it's a Poe moment, then I think it could be Williams finding a very subtle little connection there between both. 

There is more energy to TLJ, but a lot of it is rather anonymous, isn't it? It's sort of like he wrote TFA: Theme and Variation, except even in that department, it's not all terribly interesting.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yes it is! "Peace and Purpose" at 1:54.

Neat! For some reason I thought that was Rey's theme. Good cue, that one.

Does anyone know what the horn triplet theme/motif is at 3:34 in "Main Title and Escape" and 1:32 in "The Battle of Crait" (and maybe other places too)? Is that just a shared motif or does it seem to be associated with a character?

Also, different musical material but 4:48 and 3:33 in the same two tracks (respectively) are also the same.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

Maybe i just don't expect much from Star Wars music but i don't mind that truly breathtaking highlights like the Hoth battle or the whole cloud city finale are a thing of the past (the prequels also substituted only occasionally). As far as the pure entertainment factor is concerned, this is the best a 2017 commercial franchise score could possibly be. 

It's an incredibly energetic and vibrant score in both writing and performance!

We probably won't get as many concert pieces from this as TFA. And it possible doesn't have that scores highlights. But the average seems to be higher.

Williams was certainly firing on all cilinders.

12 minutes ago, publicist said:

As far as the pure entertainment factor is concerned, this is the best a 2017 commercial franchise score could possibly be. 

This much is true.

Perhaps if TLJ only had a stronger central identity, I might enjoy it a lot more. I'm sure replays will help.

I just had the epiphany that while the OST might not feature any concert arrangements besides The Rebellion is Reborn, Williams will surely create a  concert suite for live concerts, and Lockhart or someone else will probably do a recording of them all for CD!

Just now, KK said:

This much is true.

If TLJ only had a stronger central identity, I would probably enjoy it a lot more. I'm sure replays will help.

i''ll say it again. The full score will reveal it's full identity

Like I didn't even like Revenge of the Sith on my first album listen and it turned out great when we got the unreleased music

Just now, Jay said:

I just had the epiphany that while the OST might not feature any concert arrangements besides The Rebellion is Reborn, Williams will surely create a  concert suite for live concerts, and Lockhart or someone else will probably do a recording of them all for CD!

yes, i think so too

3 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I'm trying to avoid spoilers regarding the film and score, but I can't help but ask: do we get any Luke and Leia's theme reprisals? 

Yes, in track #17.

13 minutes ago, KK said:

Neat! For some reason I thought that was Rey's theme. Good cue, that one.

They are similar enough, to be fair. I remember in 2015 a lot of us thinking that was Rey's theme in "I Can Fly Anything".

And yeah, the orchestration in "Peace and Purpose" is similar to how he usually treats Rey's theme. But unmistakably Poe's once you're listening for it.

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

They are similar enough, to be fair. I remember in 2015 a lot of us thinking that was Rey's theme in "I Can Fly Anything".

Really?

Its the march in the middle of the end credits, after Leia's theme

Ok. I see now.

This isn't in Revisiting Snow.

Just now, Breadstick Basilisk said:

But that's not in "Snoke Revisited"... I think that's the secondary material in "The Rebellion Is Reborn"?

Yes

Its the march in the middle of the end credits, after Leia's theme

Oh, one of the new themes from "Rebellion is Reborn"? Is that what some here have referred to as "Holdo's Theme"?

I think "The Rebellion Is Reborn" is a concert arrangement featuring both Rose's Theme and Holdo's Theme.

In the end credits, after the opening part from all the other movies, we basically get a Rose's Theme arrangement followed by a Holdo's Theme arrangement, but its awkwardly interrupted by the Priness Leia piano bit in between them.  I wonder if originally, there was a more elegant segue from one to the other.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think "The Rebellion Is Reborn" is a concert arrangement featuring both Rose's Theme and Holdo's Theme.

I would say it's music for a scene, and has an album extension. We'll see.

The way that track ends is undoubtedly a concert arrangement / album only thing, not a way you'd ever end a score cue.

Just now, Jay said:

The way that track ends is undoubtedly a concert arrangement / album only thing, not a way you'd ever end a score cue.

Well, this score does have the end of Yoda's concert theme as underscore....

Well, this score does have the end of Yoda's concert theme as underscore....

Yea, and it doesn't sound very good does it?