THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

Just now, king mark said:

ok, i was just thinking . The FYC might have all the cues that DON'T contain  the themes from previous movies

How many cues could there be that don't contain at least one of previous themes?

I beleive this score has a higher use of old themes than any other Star Wars score in the main series.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it has a higher use of old themes than any score John Williams has ever written.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I beleive this score has a higher use of old themes than any other Star Wars score in the main series.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it has a higher use of old themes than any score John Williams has ever written.

Well its the 8th score in a film series, Jason. What do you expect?

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Did my post read as a complaint to you?  Because its not.

1 minute ago, king mark said:

Honestly this score is beyond all my expectations. I was worried JW was getting too old to pull  out something like this

I never doubt him for one second.  You have quite a pessimistic outlook on the world.

20 minutes ago, king mark said:

Rose's theme Is an instant classic. I think it's the best Williams theme since Harry Potter

So it begins... 1812.png

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

And that's why I'm saying over and over and over again, the Star Wars music has been saturated!

There's nothing more that one can do and sound unique and fresh.

(ok, everyone will say: Rey's theme, but that was another good theme for me. Not Greatness level.)

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

And that's why I'm saying over and over and over again, the Star Wars music has been saturated!

(ok, everyone will say: Rey's theme, but that was another good theme for me. Not Greatness level.)

Yawn....

I feel fatigued by your whining. If you don't enjoy this score feel free to post in other threads about other things.

7 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Taking TFA FYC into consideration, TLJ FYC won't need to be completely clean of existing themes to be considered for awards.

Very true.  However, the FYC album did notably remove the main titles, and the Han and Leia statements, and more and more or less stuck to presenting tracks that were entirely new themes - until the end credits, of course.

1 minute ago, ymenard said:

Can we say that the last minute of The Spark is a variation on the Imperial March ?

I said something along those lines 5 pages ago.

Just listened to it twice, back to back.

I'm over the moon. There's something to love here in every track! So much energy to it and while I really liked TFA it's great to have some bombast in Star Wars again.

I will say that it sounds like a great score somewhat held back by the constraints of the album. I'm seeing the film tomorrow night but I suspect there's a ton of great stuff waiting to be released down the line. Tracks 1 & 20 especially feel very heavily edited.

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Rey's theme is greatness to me.  It's amazing how recognized and popular the theme has become after 2 years.

Well I just listened to the whole thing. 

This soundtrack is way more punchy than the last one, and in some ways Williams is returning to form here. The mix doesn't sound quite as dry as TFA which I like. Rose's theme is very nice, I hope her character deserves it. Yoda's theme.... well I guess I'm spoiled now. Looking forward to that scene. There's a lot more "magic" in the orchestration this time around, more glossy flutes and bells which is definitely welcome. Apparently this movie has a lot more metaphysical stuff that happens in it which I'm looking forward to. Luke and Leia's theme making a return makes me wonder if they'll see each other again or... worse it's as close as we'll ever get to that happening. I'm scared for the fate of Luke now.

Both TFA and TLJ are very smoothly orchestrated which I find interesting, compared to the rock concert like approach to the OT. I'm disappointed with the lack of concert arrangements, but maybe we'll get a more expanded score in the future. John Williams is getting old and I think a little less adventurous, but that doesn't really take away from the score in my opinion. I consider the OT scores to be some of the best orchestral music ever written especially ANH, and these new ones will always feel a little subpar because they work less like concert pieces and more like a film score, which is fine because that's what it's supposed to be, but I wish the music would follow it's own path sometimes. The TLJ score comes the closest to the god tier orchestrations of the OT, but you can see where it falls a little flat when put nose to nose with the old themes. I just feel like some of the themes aren't as poignant as they could be with maybe the exception of Rey's theme. Most of them are relegated to a few notes, like Kylo's theme for example, which comes off more like motifs than fully fleshed out themes, whereas a lot of the old themes have a beginning middle and end that move in and out of each other. Some of the themes feel more like stingers than anything else, maybe because the film doesn't leave a lot of room for John to work (pacing is too frenetic in movies today). There's a lot more to chew on in this soundtrack which I'm so happy about, and I think a lot of people who were disappointed by TFA's score will be a lot happier with this. If ANH is a 10/10 score, then I think I can safely say that this score is a solid 8.5/10, with TFA maybe being an 8/10. Definitely better than AOTC and ROTS, and maybe not quite as dense as TPM (which is actually some of my favorite music by JW)

14 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

From what I've seen in these posts so far, I think you're the only one with whom I share the same opinion more or less? ;)

So it seems!!

10 minutes ago, king mark said:

That last minute of The spark must score a pretty dramatic moment in the film. It's very ominous

That part sounded pretty Giacchino-esque actually, the way it so obstinately relies on the merit of the ostinato. It's a cool riff though.

1 minute ago, someonefun124 said:

Rey's theme is greatness to me.  It's amazing how recognized and popular the theme has become after 2 years.

A friend of mine had it played at her wedding. She is neither a fan of scores, Star Wars, John Williams or even of orchestral music. But she loves that piece. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I said something along those lines 5 pages ago.

Can't tell if it's a variation of the Imp march or of Rey's theme, which I find VERY interesting. 

6 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

3 minutes ago, Damien F said:

A friend of mine had it played at her wedding. She is neither a fan of scores, Star Wars, John Williams or even of orchestral music. But she loves that piece. 

Rey's Theme is just fantastic!

I was really looking forward to JW taking both Rey's Themes and Jedi Steps in new places in TLJ.. and he really doesn't.

There are some nice new small variations of Rey's theme, at least.  No new big sweeping grand moment like I hoped for, though.

Frankly I like almost all of the tracks

Just now, filmmusic said:

Do you think that is  exactly on the same level as the Indiana Jones theme, or E.T. theme or eg. Superman's theme?

no

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

There are some nice new small variations of Rey's theme, at least.  No new big sweeping grand moment like I hoped for, though.

there is an awesome one in Arch-to Island

1 minute ago, Lewya said:

Which are the best cues on the album in your opinion (anyone who might read this)?

For me The Spark is a definite highlight. I'd also have to call out Peace and Purpose, The Last Jedi and The Rebellion Is Reborn. It's tough though.

7 minutes ago, Lewya said:

Which are the best cues on the album in your opinion (anyone who might read this)?

We don't know any cue names yet, just album track names.

My favorite album tracks are Battle of Crait, The Supermacy, Canto Bight, The Fathiers, and Finale

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

6 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Do you think that is  exactly on the same level as the Indiana Jones theme, or E.T. theme or eg. Superman's theme?

Apples and oranges.  Must everything the man does these days be held against his compositions from 40 years ago?

He's putting out music better than almost any other composer is in the 2010s, and that's more than good enough for me.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I was really looking forward to JW taking both Rey's Themes and Jedi Steps in new places in TLJ.. and he really doesn't.

One of the surprises is the lack of any truly great stand out moment for Rey's theme. I mean, TFA had loads of them where her theme just took over and grabbed the listener's attention. Nothing like that here. This will be one of the main things I'll be looking out for when I see the film tomorrow.

Her theme in TLJ seems much quieter and subdued, probably due to where ever the story takes the character.

My ultimate wish would have been some nice interplay between Rey's Theme and The Jedi Steps. Not the case unfortunately. 

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

:mellow:

Just now, artguy360 said:

Rose's theme, while nice and hopeful, sounds a little too stately to my ear.

I get the impression that Rose is a very duty-driven type character so i guess it makes sense

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Apples and oranges.  Must everything the man does these days be held against his compositions from 40 years ago?

He's putting out music better than almost any other composer is in the 2010s, and that's more than good enough for me.

I was getting at this: That i try to contain some sense of proportion in my expressions and not be dragged by the excitemenet of the moment or something else (eg. because most composers now don't write good music, then everything Williams writes now is masterpiece).

I try to see the big picture and all of Williams' output.

When I see people saying this X theme is great, or the greatest since etc. then what's Superman? What's E.T.? What's Indiana Jones?

That's why I seldom am  excited now with a new Williams score and it seems like I'm "whining".

This is what i was getting at.

6 minutes ago, YoYoMama said:

I get the impression that Rose is a very duty-driven type character so i guess it makes sense

I can understand that impression but that regal quality also adds a quality of age and maybe even wisdom that don't seem fitting for a young character. 

Unrelated, the quotes of The Tie Fighter Attack are great. The orchestration is not a direct lift and the new rendition has a real punch to it.

30 minutes ago, king mark said:

it sounds a bit like Amazing Stories

but it's my favorite "kind" of JW theme so that's why I might like it so much

Truth. My favorite themes are usually the innocent, child-like wondrous themes. It's why I absolutely love the Harry Potter score so much, just as much as Star Wars in many ways.