THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

52 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

It depends on how you define "more".

Don't misunderstand me, the Force Theme is a legendary theme, and a staple of Star Wars music, but you can only do it so much until it becomes cliched, no matter what composer does it.

The full Binary Sunset cue should be very special, but if you close every movie with it, it takes away the meaning of it, and turns it into a kind of musical Looney Toons "That's all folks".

Williams can do better than that.

To be honest, I don't understand people who say they didn't expect much new themes, or new sweeping music, anyway, but new variations of old themes. I mean, seriously? If you can't expect new sweeping themes from a Star Wars score, where DO you expect them?

17 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

While I am usually all for irreverence, it is understandable why this word is one to generally be avoided.  Its use here was particularly tasteless, since the context, putting down others' opinions in an incredibly obnoxious way, was already heinous.  And to justify it by saying this board is "salty" is very unclassy.  The brief exchange on this earlier in the thread, especially the few posts which criticized the initial request for more tact, was remarked on today by some colleagues of mine who browse the site.  It is not a good look on JWFan, not at all.  Many people view our forum.  Developing a reputation for devolving into savagery during Star Wars fervor would be most unfortunate. 

I guess jokes are bad now in a world in which everyone is offended by everything. And yes, for the record, what I said was a joke. Perhaps a "tasteless" joke, but a joke nonetheless. In any case, I've deleted it.

9 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Don't misunderstand me

Don't worry. I'm with you here.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

And really there's probably no way it doesn't close IX

It could end with Yun Nab, once Ewoks reappear for the grand finale!

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I'm the last person to be offended by something, and the first to decry oversensitive bullshit.  But this did leave a bad taste in my mouth, and not just me.  Oh well.

That was not my intent.

8: 1:20 - - will be a grower over time.

1 minute ago, ins said:

Ah wait, what am I telling? It already is great. Did I tell you, I love Williams' music? :wub:

10 minutes ago, ins said:

Ah wait, what am I telling? It already is great. Did I tell you, I love Williams' music? :wub:

Notice how he passes this little bass-line motif at 1:40 to the upper strings and how it comes back. Beautiful!

I'm just at track 8 with my first listening and this score already turns out to be amazing!

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I suppose it's fair to say that John Williams is running a little lower on genius juice these days. As a currently working composer he's "merely" writing some of the best film music of each year. 

But that said, familiarity still breeds contentment. The TFA themes feel right at home in this score and their bolder statements consistently put a smile on my face, and I'm guessing by the end of the trilogy they'll have had a nice effect on kids growing up with these things.

Well said!

2 hours ago, AzOutcast said:

@Jay In case no one else posted it yet...

Awesome, thanks for that!

I'm glad Patricia Sullivan mastered this, it sounds much better than TFA's album.

Weird to see William Ross credited as Bill Ross.

And of course the Brasil melody incorporated into Canto Bight is credited.

Track 14 starts with Williams in awesome-mode at 1:32 till the end. Notice how this small motif at 2:03 returns from TFA, even more fleshed out at 2:18-2:25! Always reminds me of Mynok Cave from ESB.

No time stamps required for track 16. Just great!

Track 17...wow! This track ranks among the greats from ANH, ESB, and ROTJ.

2 minutes ago, king mark said:

in the end it's not the same the at all thought .Who cares if the first 2 notes are the same

It's the first recognizable thematic gesture that's the same.

Jesus, don't get all defensive, it's not a criticism. Maybe you figure eBay out first, then try music.

Despite some pretty significant differences between the two OSTs, I find myself having the same early impressions of TLJ as I did TFA in many regards. I was just about to type "although the action music is thrilling, it doesn't seem very memorable" which is something I know I said about TFA's action music. But now, years removed I genuinely enjoy listening to I Can Fly Anything (both OST and FYC) and Scherzo for X-Wings and feel that they are distinct and memorable. Even Follow Me and The Falcon are distinct despite being a bit ho-hum. I think repeated listens and seeing the film will help the music settle in my mind.

1 hour ago, Wierzbowski85 said:

My impression after a first listen is nothing but positive. All TFA themes are there and expanded upon in wonderful ways – right off the bat we are reintroduced to thematic material from the last movie. There seems to be more momentum and movement to the score as a whole. More immediacy, which I'm sure will be felt in the film. 

It took me a bit to warm to TFA score at first – expectations and all that – and now I love it and place it above his work on the prequels. This is very much in line with what we heard in TFA, but I'm already loving this score just as much, if not more. The new material is fantastic, the careful use of OT motifs is masterful, and it's really fun. Frankly I'm just thrilled to have another JW Star Wars score to cherish. It's a special thing, and I know we're in the twilight years of his career. The man is still several classes above everyone else. I can't wait to see the film tomorrow. 

I totally agree about the immediacy of this OST. I was just going to say that the music seems more urgent in this score compared to TFA. The music also seems much darker and heavier and more varied in texture. The second half action music in particular has a real weight to it. Thematically this score seems very dense but again also in a bit of a rush. Interesting stuff to sort out.

is this case I'm sure it's because the OST is missing half the cues .I predict TLJ will be the next holy grail fof expanded scores

IN TFA I thought the contrary, that the unreleased music might not make that much of a difference, and I still don't

16 minutes ago, king mark said:

is this case I'm sure it's because the OST is missing half the cues .I predict TLJ will be the next holy grail fof expanded scores

Somehow I doubt it. But will be seeing the film tomorrow, so we'll see.

9 hours ago, king mark said:

The recurring themes from TFA are all better than they actually were in TFA

To sum it up, this was my most exciting first listen of a JW score since Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

That's the King Mark I've been waiting to hear since I came back!

Top 6 favorite tracks for me I think: The Fathiers, The Battle of Crait, The Supremacy, The Spark, The Rebellion is Reborn and Finale.

I have diffficulty to decide if like the score more than TFA or not, in my mind it is a close battle. I enjoy the energy and underscore of TLJ more but miss a new big themes like Rey and Jedi Steps here. Had Williams introduced one big theme like Rey, and preferably also done a end credit suite like TFA the battle would have been easy, but right now I lean toward prefering TFA a tad more as a whole. I also miss TFA's less notes "wasted" aspect which I saw someone mention. Tracks like a Chrome Dome and The Cave drags the score down a bit. The "fun" in Canto Bight is OK, I prefer Phantom Menace's Augie's Municipal Band much more when it comes to such things.

I would have selected something else than Canto Blight for the c.d.

Itr sounds like a mix of cantina band the the mexican music in Crystal Skull, but I'd prefer another action score piece

To me it wastes precious space like the Castafiore cue in Tintin. I probably won't listen to it more than once or twice

Now that I think about it I think The Rebellion Reborn is 2 cues stuck together where the first one ends at 1:28

First couple of listens,

TFA is a better, much more cohesive score.

Roses theme is nice but doesn’t sound like it belongs in a Star Wars film. I had to remind myself several times I wasn’t listening to a Harry Potter score.

No real standout set pieces in this one. End credits sound all over the place. 

Perhaps Willians is running out of ideas for Star Wars.

I can throw the usual accolades, well written and orchestrated but it’s a step down from TFA.

Going back to when TFA's OST first came out, did Main Titles and the Attack on Jakku sound as jumbled and disjointed to anyone as TLJ's Main Titles and The Escape does now? I think they are pretty comparable in that sense. The FYC album might provide a better listening experience for this opening sequence as TFA's first two FYC tracks do.

I don't know what to think of the sudden appearances of direct concert suite quotes, with orchestrations and all. It's incredibly jarring. Oddly, Yoda's theme works better than Leia's theme early on. It's great music, but it doesn't gel too well in the middle of the surrounding music.

On the other hand, in Track 16, it works really well. Hit or miss.

I enjoy every rendition of Leia's theme on the OST. It seems very well woven into the rest of the music in the score. I can't recall a single rendition that felt jarring or directly lifted from previous material without some kind of alteration. The quiet, almost tender renditions are particularly emotionally resonant for me. 

In track 4, at the 3 minute mark, it goes from nothing directly into the Princess Leia concert suite with little to none alterations, and goes right back to nothing. That's just wierd. It almost feels like it goes into source music for half a minute.

Other quotes are well placed, but that one is odd.

ok I agree this score could have done without the direct lifts of the concert versions of Leia's Theme and Yoda's Theme

The Tie Fighter Attack lift is also quesrionnable .I never liked Superstructure Chase on RotJ either