THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

7 hours ago, Jay said:

My favorite sections of the OST are tracks 1-7 and then 16-20.

I feel the same way, too. It's a very strong opening section for an OST. Every cue of the first seven includes at least one little highlight for me.

"Old Friends" is becoming more and more a favorite of mine! I like this slightly unusual variation of the force theme.

22 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

I am loving the panicked rendition of Rey's theme in "A New Alliance," woven into the action material.  Really bad ass moment,

It's a great moment, but like Chrome Dome I wish JW had scored with a more dramatic sensibility instead of highlighting the action and tempo.

You know what would have been awesome, if JW has written individual concert arrangements for Rose and Luke/Rey training themes, and the music that is in The Rebellion is Reborn which alternates between the two was part of the end credit suite.

7 minutes ago, hornist said:

What if

what would have been awesome

do it cause you are awesome

or shut it, seriously

geez

Calm down. I'm not complaining, I'm just speculating on what a more traditional approach to the album would have sounded like with dedicated theme concert tracks, and Rebellion is Reborn sounds like an end credits arrangement to me. 

1 minute ago, Oswin Pond said:

Hey !

I've been reading you a lot and I'm surprised no one mentionned a possible call back to the "Plagueis theme" in revisiting Snoke

Is it just me or... ?

I thought of Voldemort at first. But yea, I know what you mean.

34 minutes ago, Damien F said:

You know what would have been awesome, if JW has written individual concert arrangements for Rose and Luke/Rey training themes, and the music that is in The Rebellion is Reborn which alternates between the two was part of the end credit suite.

Yes! Great idea!

This score feels more like a SW score than TFA. Even with the limited amount of new themes, this is rewarding.

2 hours ago, Oswin Pond said:

Hey !

I've been reading you a lot and I'm surprised no one mentionned a possible call back to the "Plagueis theme" in revisiting Snoke

Is it just me or... ?

It's not much of a new thing. It happened on TFA. People even speculated that the two characters were connected to each other.

No for TFA is was the choirs in the background that sounded like Palpatine's teaching, I'm talking about something else that occurs when Palpatine mentions Plagueis (unlike the choirs that stop when Palpatine talks about him but people forgot about that :P ) and just after he killed Mace Windu

1 hour ago, Oswin Pond said:

No for TFA is was the choirs in the background that sounded like Palpatine's teaching, I'm talking about something else that occurs when Palpatine mentions Plagueis (unlike the choirs that stop when Palpatine talks about him but people forgot about that :P ) and just after he killed Mace Windu

I think the material is simply Williams pulling from his own repertoire of musical expressions for villains. The Plagueis material wouldn't make sense in this context if it were an intentional lift because we know Plagueis as a character was killed and that the material for that scene I think spoke more to Palpatine's treachery than Plagueis himself.

6 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I think I'm falling in love with "Canto Bight." It's the "Cantina Band #3" I never knew I needed in my life.

Yeah it's really good. I love it as a further addition to source music in the SW musical universe. But I really dislike how the OST transitions from score to source music without a clean break. I want Canto Bight to just be the band music and none of the score. 

53 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Yeah it's really good. I love it as a further addition to source music in the SW musical universe. But I really dislike how the OST transitions from score to source music without a clean break. I want Canto Bight to just be the band music and none of the score. 

Are you kidding, the transition is electrifying!

28 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I know what you mean, but for some reason, I don't mind. I find the transition exciting. (Not that I EVER say no to isolated cues!)

Sounds to me like the music was written to segue straight into the source cue.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

I think the material is simply Williams pulling from his own repertoire of musical expressions for villains. The Plagueis material wouldn't make sense in this context if it were an intentional lift because we know Plagueis as a character was killed and that the material for that scene I think spoke more to Palpatine's treachery than Plagueis himself.

I said Plagueis but it really is more about Palpatine since we hear it after he defeated Mace.

And he did use Palpatine's theme when...

Spoiler

Snoke tortures Rey

5 hours ago, Oswin Pond said:

Really, they're all just low men voices. But in Palpatine's teachings it was Tibetan-style overtone singing. Here it's just standard basso profundo.

23 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You really need to calm the fuck down. People have opinions different than yours: big deal!

Dear lord...

Why just ignore me, zelda.

I have to ask Jay to ban me. 

Im always doing drunken comeback...

4 minutes ago, hornist said:

yes when Im drunk, sometimes chinese, mostly danish

Weird but interesting mix.

2 minutes ago, hornist said:

Why just ignore me, zelda.

Hey, it's not just about me, it's about the new guys who just joined the forum, only to be insulted by you because they don't share your opinion on the new score.

Almost a week of listening to this album and it just seems to get better. I'm finding that rather than skipping around to different highlights I'm just letting the album play from beginning to end. There's usually a few tracks that I don't bother with but there's really nothing here that I feel the need to skip.

I really like the transition fro score to source music in Canto Bight!

5 hours ago, artguy360 said:

The transition itself is great but I don't like any of the score before it. The music sounds appropriately opulent and high class, but I just don't care for listening to it every time I want to listen to the actual band music.

I think the transition itself is good but yeah, I'm not mad about the first bit, which is too meandering and dark sounding to listen to every time I just want straight-up Canto Bight fun.

18 minutes ago, idril said:

I think the transition itself is good but yeah, I'm not mad about the first bit, which is too meandering and dark sounding to listen to every time I just want straight-up Canto Bight fun.

...and the fun part of Canto Bight is too short. Hoping JW will make a proper concert arrangement of it!

2 hours ago, idril said:

Make your own edit then!

10 hours ago, Datameister said:

I think I'm falling in love with "Canto Bight." It's the "Cantina Band #3" I never knew I needed in my life.

Yes!

I just read an interview with Williams about that Canto Bight piece, where he says he used a goat to make the kazoo sound, not a kazoo.

"We used a rather marvelous local breed of goat. We wanted to portray a symmetry with the initials of the word goat, to the obvious meaning when paired with myself. As I am the greatest of all time." 

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Make your own edit then!

I was already planning to this evening! It'll be really easy to do.