Podcast: Rian Johnson On How John Williams Works

On 12/19/2017 at 11:43 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Have you read Emilio Audissino's book? I haven't yet - can't take him seriously when he writes John Williams's in the title. ;)

You are entitled to dislike the wording but be aware that both forms are correct. Have you ever heard of "Bridget Jones's Diary" or "St. James's Park"? And the book is not self-published -- as fan books often are -- but it is printed by a university press, and they chose the title. So, I guess they knew what they were doing.

3 hours ago, eaudissino said:

You are entitled to dislike the wording but be aware that both forms are correct. Have you ever heard of "Bridget Jones's Diary" or "St. James's Park"? And the book is not self-published -- as fan books often are -- but it is printed by a university press, and they chose the title. So, I guess they knew what they were doing.

As should be clear from my smiley I was making a joke. :) Apologies if I seemed disrespectful. I respect you for writing the book and will no doubt read it when I have more time (after completing my PhD).

And yes, I know it's a matter of preference:

On 19.12.2017 at 7:32 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

It's more a matter of personal preference. Quoted from the Chicago Manual of Style: "How to form the possessive of polysyllabic personal names ending with the sound of "s" or "z" probably occasions more dissension among writers and editors than any other orthographic matter open to disagreement." (6.30)

If the first SW films you saw were the prequel trilogy, you likely have been taught to write 's after a word ending with s. Old schools are often happy with just the apostrophe.