THE LAST JEDI - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

Someone has to think up how the shot will be framed and how the (virtual) camera moves around the environment. The job of the DP and cinematographer might be slightly different between live action and animated pictures but id think they are largely the same

As far as Oscars are concerned, I don't think it will ever be the year of Roger Deakins. I think he'll receive some kind of non-competitive award in the future, like a lifetime achievement award of some sort.

12 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

So disappointing Dunkirk is eligible. It will probably win now over other actual scores.

Just watched this tonight. What a steaming pile of flaming feces. Wow, was it bad.

And people want Nolan to direct a Star Wars film? GROSS!

45 minutes ago, FC4L said:

Nolan fanboys are as bad as DC fanboys. 

They are worse.

2 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Someone has to think up how the shot will be framed and how the (virtual) camera moves around the environment. The job of the DP and cinematographer might be slightly different between live action and animated pictures but id think they are largely the same

Framing and camera movement is director. With consultation from DP. DP of course mainly does lighting and color grading and VFX integration etc.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Yes. Either that, or Johnson would digitally downgrade some shots in an attempt to "hide" the special effects. When they were outdoors, I just about could not see a bloody thing even though I was sitting pretty out front in the theater. And yes, it was in 2D.

Oh, and shots of special effects aren't cinematography. There's no camera there, and therefore no planning and no ingenuity required to construct a good long take or compose a dense wide shot. You can praise the choices, but not the camerawork itself, because there is none.

It could still be nominated (look at Avatar), but it would be a disgrace to do so.

Avatar is absolutely an animated film. It is like Wall-E, an animated film with some live action elements. It wasn't shot on Pandora with Navi. It was shot in a blue room.

It's cinematography Oscar win is outrageous. It won the VFX Oscar too. It basically won 2 different categories for the same thing.

Well its entirely possible they mailed out physical discs to voters last week or even earlier, and they just haven't turned up on ebay yet.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe the guy in charge of the website is on vacation until after Christmas :lol:

There could also be some sort of delay because the OST only hit shelves about four days ago. I know the physical promo disks only get out to a select group, but having it available on the website could be seen as a potential hindrance to sales - especially considering the high profile of a Williams/SW score. 

There would be no problems with your reasoning if the OST wasn't available to listen on Youtube completely free by Disney themselves.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

There would be no problems with your reasoning if the OST wasn't available to listen on Youtube completely free by Disney themselves.

This is standard practice these days. 

Anyway, they’d surely link to the videos on the FYC page is they were only using the OST

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Same as TFA and RO.

Karol

6 hours ago, Holko said:

More wishful thinking than anything! 😄👍

9 hours ago, airmanjerm said:

There could also be some sort of delay because the OST only hit shelves about four days ago. I know the physical promo disks only get out to a select group, but having it available on the website could be seen as a potential hindrance to sales - especially considering the high profile of a Williams/SW score. 

I once again have to quote the first post of this thread

On 12/14/2017 at 11:24 AM, Jay said:

Hello,

The Force Awakens opened (in the US) on Friday, December 18th, 2015.

On Monday, December 21st, 2015, we discovered that Disney's Awards consideration side had added an album of score that could be streamed or download that was different than TFA's OST.

and this time I'll add

On 12/18/2017 at 4:28 PM, Jay said:

Rogue One's FYC went up the same day the film opened.

Honestly, I’d guess the FYC isn’t going to be put online, and we’ll just have to wait a month or around there for the pressed discs to show up online.  Which is fine with my because I don’t really want Star Wars in 192 kbps

10 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Is there a deadline for when an FYC can be released?

Here are this year's relevant dates:

Friday, January 5, 2018
Nominations voting opens

Friday, January 12, 2018
Nominations voting closes

Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Oscar Nominations Announcement

Monday, February 5, 2018
Oscar Nominees Luncheon

Saturday, February 10, 2018
Scientific and Technical Awards

Tuesday, February 20, 2018
Finals voting opens

Tuesday, February 27, 2018
Finals voting closes

Wednesday, February 28, 2018
The Oscars Concert

Sunday, March 4, 2018
90th Oscars

So really they just need to get these albums in the hands of the music branch nominee-voters by Jan 5th-ish, and if it is one of the 5 scores nominated, after the 23rd there could be a new push to get the album in the hands of all voters

A note - most members vote as soon as the window opens. So actually the album needs to be in the hand of members of the music branch much before or maybe right about now. So that they can listen to it and appreciate it and then come 5th Jan they vote for it.

I never lost faith; The fact that /score redirects to a different page than /anythingelse is a clear indication to me the page is forthcoming, they just haven't "flipped the switch" yet.

10 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

What if they don't receive it by then? Less likely for a nomination? I imagine they've already seen the movie and heard the music.

The Oscars are very political. All manner of lobbying takes place. I think Disney is obviously going to have to spend some monies in winning and dining various branches based on what they hope to get.

1 hour ago, Taikomochi said:

Honestly, I’d guess the FYC isn’t going to be put online, and we’ll just have to wait a month or around there for the pressed discs to show up online.  Which is fine with my because I don’t really want Star Wars in 192 kbps

someone has to manage to buy it and share it though .We were extremely lucky it happened last year

And my I remind you we don't have the BFG FYC yet...

Last year?  Rogue One? A lossless rip was never shared of that that I know of.

Or do you mean two years ago?