THE LAST JEDI - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

2 minutes ago, TheForkAwakens said:

What is a "C&C"?

Complete & Chronological

This is an improper use, since what we have is still very far from being complete, it rather refers to the fact that it uses everything we have.

Huh, I just think he used it because this scene is very similar to the emperor scene in ROTJ.

And by the way, I don't think it would be worth to start working on an edit using those 192k mp3 files, let's wait for the lossless version (which we'll hopefully get one day).

So my first edit of Main Title and Escape has come to 10:32. And to echo my earlier thoughts, the track is an absolute mess.

Unfortunately it appears whatever Williams scored earlier in the year was drastically re-edited, and the statement of Poe's Theme was possibly an insert that replaced the cool March of the Resistance section at 3:02 on the OST track.

Anyway, I've combined the two tracks as best I can but it's impossible to recreate whatever Williams' original intention was with the two sources we have. :(

I have listened to the full FYC album and I really like the expanded bits in Escape, A New Alliance, The Last Jedi and The Spark. But I don't really understand why they have make such a chaotic edit in for example Escape.

I also really like the new tracks like Admiral Holdo, Rey's Journey or Holdo Resolve, but it's a shame that we don't have the Rey training cue or the bit of the Emperor theme.

Anyway, I will try to edit both albums to create something like a film version.

19 minutes ago, CGCJ said:

All tracks on the FYC are the exact edits from the film. So if Escape is such a mess its only because that's how it is in the film. I don't really see what the problem is with that track, honestly.

I guess we're looking at it from the perspective that it would be nice to assemble a 'complete' version of the opening cues, but sadly the OST is microedited and the film version is edited/tracked to death.

So we're stuck with two alternative edited versions of the track, but neither is definitive (and both contain things the other version doesn't).

@Jay is it against board rules to post Clyps of FYC/OST edits?

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Here's a new C&C order I threw together quickly

Thanks as usual for you work @Jay.

Will you also post your suggested expanded playlist (without editing)? :D

For all it's worth, there is some discussion about this here too: http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/forum.cgi?read=55471&expand=1

The first post there contains a brief overview of what is included on the FYC.

It's the other way around. Sometimes random people post interesting recommendations on there, so I occasionally have a look.

Good thing too! I discovered "Fort Ross" that way, which I like quite a bit. :D

I was under the impression that the FYC had to present the music exactly as it's heard in the film with all the edits but I guess it just needs to contain only music heard in the film regardless of how it's edited on the FYC.... except the Escape opening wasn't in the movie as I recall.  FYC Escape is a mess and didn't sound like that in the film.  I love the rest, though.  I think this score is a strong contender for a nomination.

Is it just me, or do those two horn chords at the beginning of "Escape" (like, a couple seconds in) sound really fake/sample-y...? Also the horns and woodwinds around 0:24.

6 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

But I don't really understand why they have make such a chaotic edit in for example Escape.

Because that's how it is in the film.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

There is not theme for Holdo IMO, just more of a general "Resistance in trouble" motif.  

It can be heard on the OST at:

01 Escape 6:15-7:08

15 Chrome Dome 0:25-0:35

20 Finale 5:47-6:25

It can be heard on the FYC at:

01 Escape 6:12-6:53

14 Holdo's Resolve 1:37-2:12

15 Chrome Dome 0:25-0:32

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Here's my attempt at combining the OST & FYC versions of the track "Escape" so that it sounds a bit less messy and repetitive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UNj2eNrYbEadl9d0v7MVMjBITIy_l4_n

Pretty good one, that!

Of course the first really cool bit of "March of the Resistance" isn't there, but @Taikomochi already said that would be really difficult to keep.

Hopefully you (or someone else?) does find a way though, one way or another.

And in the meantime, this one does quite nicely. :D

Makes sense, I suppose. Also explains why "Poe's Theme" wasn't on the OST there, despite standing out very clearly in the film.

Is there a way to make the same track you did, but with "March of the Resistance" in place instead?

Hearing them both, I think I prefer that bit from the OST because it is much more different from TFA than that statement of "Poe's Theme".

But of course... If anyone does find some clever way to have the cake and eat it too, consider me interested! ;)

FYC sounds awesome!!

I will say, though, I was rather shocked by "Escape." I hadn't had the chance to hear the opening few minutes of that sequence when I was doing my breakdown, so it was quite a surprise to hear what a mess there was!

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

There is a near 100% chance that Williams, the most nominated person alive, will receive a Lifetime Achievement Oscar. 

From your mouth to god's ear. But based on the recent pattern of winners AND Williams' age, I'd bet against it.

1 minute ago, Smaug the iron said:

Is it just me or do I hear Leia’s theme at 2.16 in Escape FYC?

It's pretty subtle, but yeah, I hear it too.

13 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I thought it was pretty obviously connected to her, considering the two main places I remember hearing it in the film are when Holdo says goodbye to Leia and stays behind on the ship, and then when she rams the First Order in lightspeed. 

But its introduction in "Escape" is well before we've even been introduced to Holdo at all.

And her two big speeches are scored with the Resistance March, and not this theme.

12 hours ago, TheForkAwakens said:

What is a "C&C"?

My bad!  "C&C" means "Complete and Chronological", though that wasn't the right term for what I was doing; It's just a playlist of the OST with some FYC tracks mixed in, I corrected my post.

Is there a way to get the other FYC soundtracks from that Disney page?

Yes.  See here.

I'm also interested in past FYC music.

Disney removes it from their website sometime between when this award season is over and they are setting up their servers for the next awards season, so nothing from prior years will be online any more.

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

@Jay is it against board rules to post Clyps of FYC/OST edits?

Of course not!  People embed youtube / soundcloud / clyp / vimeo / etc links all the time.  We just can't host copyrighted music on our own servers.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Pretty good one, that!

Of course the first really cool bit of "March of the Resistance" isn't there, but @Taikomochi already said that would be really difficult to keep.

Hopefully you (or someone else?) does find a way though, one way or another.

And in the meantime, this one does quite nicely. :D

I like it

did you keep all the music except the march of the resistance bit or you had to trim other stuff?

20 hours ago, Jay said:

There is not theme for Holdo IMO, just more of a general "Resistance in trouble" motif.  

It can be heard on the OST at:

01 Escape 6:15-7:08

15 Chrome Dome 0:25-0:35

20 Finale 5:47-6:25

It can be heard on the FYC at:

01 Escape 6:12-6:53

14 Holdo's Resolve 1:37-2:12

15 Chrome Dome 0:25-0:32

Call me crazy, but I don't hear anything remotely like that theme/motif in "Escape"... I assume you're talking about the "Battle of the Heroes"-esque bit? I just don't see how that's at all related to the theme heard in those other tracks.

No, not that bit. Listen to the other references first then maybe it'll be easier for you to pick out. It reminds me a bit of something from Nixon.

I dunno, sounds like the same theme to me, like with a different ending kinda - but I certainly could be wrong

9 minutes ago, king mark said:

I like it

did you keep all the music except the march of the resistance bit or you had to trim other stuff?

Parts I didn't use:

• Resistance bit in the OST 3:02-3:16
  • FYC 0:00-0:21
  • FYC 0:46-1:45

14 minutes ago, Arpy said:

No, not that bit. Listen to the other references first then maybe it'll be easier for you to pick out. It reminds me a bit of something from Nixon.

I've listened to those parts, and recognize those as all being the same theme... (And yes, "Nixon" is definitely what comes to mind.) But I'm still not hearing it in "Escape". Would you happen to have a timestamp that points to exactly what you're referring to? @Jay's timestamps are for the "Battle of the Heroes" part.