THE LAST JEDI - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

• 2 months later...

I've been listening to this FYC album for The Last Jedi. Is anyone picking up hints of The Lord of the Rings type style in Admiral Holdo, particularly here.

Yes, I know it is the Resistance theme arranged for Holdo, but its pace and variation style makes it sound similar to this (it's the best example I can find on the OST, but there are more I cannot seem to find), at least the first time it fell upon my ears:

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I've been listening to this FYC album for The Last Jedi. Is anyone picking up hints of The Lord of the Rings type style in Admiral Holdo, particularly here.

Yes, I know it is the Resistance theme arranged for Holdo, but its pace and variation style makes it sound similar to this (it's the best example I can find on the OST, but there are more I cannot seem to find), at least the first time it fell upon my ears:

But actually, that bit of Resistance theme reminds me of this:

• 4 months later...
18 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Holdo's Resolve might be my favourite Williams track in The Last Jedi. It's so darn good. A great motif/theme.

It gives me goosebumps everytime I listen to it, it sounds almost like a Goldsmith score! 

The only complaint I have is the dumb mickey mousing moment that I believe plays when the stormtroopers activate their laser guillotines.

Yeah, apart from that, it's fantastic. 

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

my favourite Williams track in The Last Jedi

Which are your favourite non-Williams tracks in The Last Jedi?

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Did Revenge of the Sith have any non-Williams music anywhere? If so, when was the last time a Star Wars film before The Last Jedi had only Williams? Phantom Menace? Empire Strikes Back?

The Cantina Band is VERY much Williams!

In RotJ, did JW have anything to do with the film version of Lapti Nek? Or the Max Rebo funk?

Nick didn't mention AotC, what isn't Williams in that? Dex's Diner? Burtt's percussion "piece" for the Arena?

Cues that aren't John Williams:

-Lapti Nek was a collaboration between him and his son, Joseph Williams

-Max Rebo Band source music was by Joseph Williams

-Dex's Diner was also by Joseph Williams

-Arena Source from AOTC was by Ben Burtt (there's even a BTS video about it)

-TFA has 2 source cues from Maz's castle that were by Lin-Manuel Miranda and JJ Abrams

-TPM source cues are probably by John, but IMDB lists Joseph Williams as having some degree of involvement; although that has yet to be confirmed

33 minutes ago, Holko said:

In RotJ, did JW have anything to do with the film version of Lapti Nek? Or the Max Rebo funk?

Nick didn't mention AotC, what isn't Williams in that? Dex's Diner? Burtt's percussion "piece" for the Arena?

Both "Max Rebo Source" & "Jabba Sail Barge Source" are John Williams. (John is the only one credited for them that I have found) I believe Lapti Nek & "Freedom" (Ewok Celebration) are Joseph Williams, along with the Dex's Diner source in Attack of the Clones. "Jabba Flow" & "Dobra Doompa" from The Force Awakens are by Lin-Manuel Miranda and J J Abrams. Everything else is John Williams.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Yeah, apart from that, it's fantastic. 

The Arry Baronso portion of Canto Bight.

2 hours ago, CGCJ said:

Both "Max Rebo Source" & "Jabba Sail Barge Source" are John Williams. (John is the only one credited for them that I have found) I believe Lapti Nek & "Freedom" (Ewok Celebration) are Joseph Williams, along with the Dex's Diner source in Attack of the Clones. "Jabba Flow" & "Dobra Doompa" from The Force Awakens are by Lin-Manuel Miranda and J J Abrams. Everything else is John Williams. 

The Max Rebo Band source and the Sail Barge source are in fact the same cue. I believe Joseph confirmed years ago he wrote them. Lapti Nek was a collaboration; John wrote the music, and Joseph wrote the lyrics. "Freedom" was completely by John Williams, although it is possible Joseph could have also written the lyrics for the English version.

23 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The Max Rebo Band source and the Sail Barge source are in fact the same cue. I believe Joseph confirmed years ago he wrote them.

Interesting... I've found the two registered separately in multiple music databases, alongside the known cue titles, so I'm not so sure about them being the same cue, but I've not looked into it beyond that so you could still be right.

22 hours ago, CGCJ said:

Interesting... I've found the two registered separately in multiple music databases, alongside the known cue titles, so I'm not so sure about them being the same cue, but I've not looked into it beyond that so you could still be right.

The full cue is in a few of the BTS documentaries. It's definitely one cue. In fact there's about 1/3 of it (or more) not in the film at all.

On 10/13/2018 at 12:01 PM, Nick Parker said:

The only complaint I have is the dumb mickey mousing moment that I believe plays when the stormtroopers activate their laser guillotines.

That big dramatic stinger?

Reminds me of

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The full cue is in a few of the BTS documentaries. It's definitely one cue. In fact there's about 1/3 of it (or more) not in the film at all. 

Wow. Has anyone ever attempted a full edit of what is heard in those and not just what is in the final film?

1 hour ago, Falafel said:

That big dramatic stinger?

I don't know what you're referring to. What I'm talking about are those two little "flicks" Williams does...he starts off with this cool execution funeral type thing, then slips those in there, and it's like ,"C'mon, man, why'd you have to ruin your own moment?"

Yep, you got it! That tremolo moment is really cool, I've got no problems with that. The second example you posted is indicative of my biggest problem with the score, which is how Williams will undermine the mood he creates with these little spurts of what usually is triadic shouts. It just feels very cute, and like Williams is writing it with "Hey I'm scoring a Star Wars movie, these are fun and goofy, yeah?"

On 10/13/2018 at 8:13 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Cues that aren't John Williams:

-Lapti Nek was a collaboration between him and his son, Joseph Williams

-Max Rebo Band source music was by Joseph Williams

-Dex's Diner was also by Joseph Williams

-Arena Source from AOTC was by Ben Burtt (there's even a BTS video about it)

-TFA has 2 source cues from Maz's castle that were by Lin-Manuel Miranda and JJ Abrams

-TPM source cues are probably by John, but IMDB lists Joseph Williams as having some degree of involvement; although that has yet to be confirmed

I didn't knew Dex's Diner was Joseph's! I love that piece one of my favourite source cues in Star Wars.

21 hours ago, CGCJ said:

Wow. Has anyone ever attempted a full edit of what is heard in those and not just what is in the final film?

I believe so. I've had some very obscure fan edits years ago that have attempted to reconstruct it, although the quality was unbearable.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

12 Rey’s Journey (1:35)

• 6M52 Eavesdropping

Finally!! I have been wondering what cue that was. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

:43-1:53 = 1M6 Insert Theme In

So the insert is Luke's Theme. I was wrong then. 

• 1 year later...