Jump to content
Jay

THE LAST JEDI - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album NOW AVAILABLE! - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, Demodex said:

The music is secondary. Story is more important.  A shitty movie can have a decent soundtrack, but the movie still won't be worth watching. 

I don't think the same. Just look at The Phantom Menace. It was, let's say, not that great, but the soundtrack made it 10 times better.

Sometimes a soundtrack is the only thing that makes a movie watchable (at least for me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I would suggest that since if you plug any random characters after the base URL you get an empty page like this:

 

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/music

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/williams

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/sadfsafcdsacwacgbcxvbcx

 

BUT if you use "score" you get a different page:

 

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/score

 

Is a good indication that a page is coming, its just not live yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demodex said:

The music is secondary. Story is more important.  A shitty movie can have a decent soundtrack, but the movie still won't be worth watching. 

 

Or as Bernard Herrmann put it: you can't revive a corpse, but you can dress it up nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jay said:

Well, I would suggest that since if you plug any random characters after the base URL you get an empty page like this:

 

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/music

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/zxvczxvc

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/sadfsafcdsacwacgbcxvbcx

 

BUT if you use "score" you get a different page:

 

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/score

 

Is a good indication that a page is coming, its just not live yet.

 

There has been an uploading... Have you felt it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's endless possibilities of why its not up yet.  The only reason we predicted possibly this afternoon was due to TFA's schedule.  Maybe we should have looked at Rogue One's schedule instead.

 

EDIT : LOL, Rogue One's FYC went up the same day the film opened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm reliably informed that Williams himself snuck into Disney's headquarters (Walt Disney World, Japan) and erased the master tapes of the score. He's simply too ashamed of all the reused music. That's why Disney have scrapped any plans to release an FYC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams: Let the hate flow through them... It was I who allowed the reuse of TIE Fighter Attack during the Battle of Crait! Soon the master tapes will be crushed and that shall be the end of their pitiful complaints about reusing Binary Sunset!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From memory we saw an image of the disc before the website uploaded the FYC for TFA, so hopefully they've just been mailed out (given the official soundtrack has been released).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Nimrod plays for like 20 minutes. And because it is the only melody in the film, it has the most impact on audiences and if they remember any music, it will be this.

 

By the academy's own criteria, that is diluting and should have been disqualified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be funny if it doesn't even get nominated. There's zero hype for Dunkirk, they released it at the wrong time of year for awards consideration IMO.

 

Double nomination for Mr. Williams please, Academy! As a 40th Anniversary to the original showdown, Star Wars vs Close Encounters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the music branch determines the nominees. They might just see fit to reward Williams with a double nomination knowing he'll never win the Oscar itself.

 

Basically an acknowledgement from the Academy that everyone is so appreciative that he's still doing these heavy action films, not to mention writing such energetic and vigorous music that puts composers half his age to shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think Nimrod plays for like 20 minutes. And because it is the only melody in the film, it has the most impact on audiences and if they remember any music, it will be this.

 

By the academy's own criteria, that is diluting and should have been disqualified.

 

Elgar's Nimrod - make that Wallfisch and Zimmer's kaleidoscoped version of Elgar's Nimrod - plays for 8 minutes total in the film.  The two other primary, very minimal motives that make up the score seem cleverly derived from lines in the Elgar piece, and the melody has a ghostly presence in many cues that are not noticed without close, thoughtful, repeated listening.  It is curious to me that this hasn't been deemed unacceptable by the Academy, but then, I don't know precisely what their standards are.  Suffice it to say that while Elgar is a memorable component of the score which does suffuse it to a large degree, its use is often subliminal and in the two big moments quite altered, so this is apparently enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crumbs said:

It would be funny if it doesn't even get nominated. There's zero hype for Dunkirk, they released it at the wrong time of year for awards consideration IMO.

 

 

What are you saying. It has tons of hype and will be nominated across the board. Nolan's the favorite to win best Director and the film itself is very much in the hunt to win best picture. And maybe win a slew of other categories. By all means it is going to do very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

I hope we get an extended "Chrome Dome." I loved that scene and would love the full extended cue (even if it's just a bit).  

It seems that http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/music actually leads to a page with a photo of Leia on it. Maybe we'll get an upload of the FYC tonight?

 

Same picture as on the “Synopsis” page minus the text. All the other Disney films use the “/score” link so likely that’ll be it, rather than “/music”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thx99 said:

 

Same picture as on the “Synopsis” page minus the text. All the other Disney films use the “/score” link so likely that’ll be it, rather than “/music”.

 

Yea for some reason I just tried it again and got different results. I figure you're right about it being under "/score" though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

 

 

What are you saying. It has tons of hype and will be nominated across the board. Nolan's the favorite to win best Director and the film itself is very much in the hunt to win best picture. And maybe win a slew of other categories. By all means it is going to do very well.

Nolan will probably at least be nominated for Best Director. And TLJ will probably compete against this, Blade Runner 2049 and maybe even The Shape of Water in Best Cinematography category. They all look amazing!

 

While I like the score of Dunkirk within the movie, I would prefer another score to win the Best Original Score category, but who knows...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Knight of Ren said:

Nolan will probably at least be nominated for Best Director. And TLJ will probably compete against this, Blade Runner 2049 and maybe even The Shape of Water in Best Cinematography category. They all look amazing!

 

While I like the score of Dunkirk within the movie, I would prefer another score to win the Best Original Score category, but who knows...

I don't think TLJ has any chance in cinematography. It's best bets are VFX, Sound and of course Williams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really looking forward to the complete opener, which I think has enough new material, without relying on existing themes, to be presented on the FYC.

 

It's a fantastic action track to really grab people's attention too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I don't think TLJ has any chance in cinematography. It's best bets are VFX, Sound and of course Williams.

I don't know, it had some really beautiful shots, so I think there might a little chance of the nomination, but not for the Award itself.

VFX and the more technical categories are always the Star Wars bets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Either that, or Johnson would digitally downgrade some shots in an attempt to "hide" the special effects. When they were outdoors, I just about could not see a bloody thing even though I was sitting pretty out front in the theater. And yes, it was in 2D.

 

Oh, and shots of special effects aren't cinematography. There's no camera there, and therefore no planning and no ingenuity required to construct a good long take or compose a dense wide shot. You can praise the choices, but not the camerawork itself, because there is none.

 

It could still be nominated (look at Avatar), but it would be a disgrace to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The camera is those CG spacebattles is a virtual one. You can put it where-ever you want with no difficulty, you can populate the frame around the camera angle you selected anyway you want. No thought-process and no dexterity is required to find a way to technically get the cameramen to where they need to be.

 

It doesn't count. I can appreciate the intenion behind the visuals, but not the way in which they are obtained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×