Some pics from the Last Jedi recording sessions!

Jay

So we know there are a lot of drums, a large choir, two harps on opposite ends of the stage.  So cool for that rare thought that we are just a few hours away from a new John Williams Star Wars score. :)

Armen (cello extrodinare/performer on TFA and TLJ) kindly posted on my facebook a brief video of Jerry (eldest) and Don (youngest) Williams hanging between a take. For those of you who know, these two go way back to Jaws, Close Encounters, 1941, E.T., etc.  Jerry is retired but comes out of retirement when our Johnny needs him.  So cool! 

30 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

The score certainly has a big, full sound and JW gave his brother more to do this time with percussion.

I won't listen till I see the film so I am in the dark. :)

7 hours ago, karelm said:

Armen (cello extrodinare/performer on TFA and TLJ) kindly posted on my facebook a brief video of Jerry (eldest) and Don (youngest) Williams hanging between a take. For those of you who know, these two go way back to Jaws, Close Encounters, 1941, E.T., etc.  Jerry is retired but comes out of retirement when our Johnny needs him.  So cool! 

John is actually the oldest of the siblings, but Jerry is the second-oldest.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

The timpani's have that same rich, full OOOMPH as they had in TPM!

I wouldn't say that. The use of timpani in TLJ reminds me much more of ROTS than TPM where they are used in a kind of fun, bombastic way persistently throughout the score as opposed to selectively for tension and drama as they are in TLJ and ROTS.

22 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

I wouldn't say that. The use of timpani in TLJ reminds me much more of ROTS than TPM where they are used in a kind of fun, bombastic way persistently throughout the score as opposed to selectively for tension and drama as they are in TLJ and ROTS.

I was referring to a few specific instances that reminded me of TPM.

18 minutes ago, hornist said:

I wonder what those shirts on the wall of the recording studio are?

Given recent events, I suspect they may no longer be there, if Christopher Plummer's replacement of Kevin Spacey is any indication.

1 hour ago, thx99 said:

Given recent events, I suspect they may no longer be there, if Christopher Plummer's replacement of Kevin Spacey is any indication.

Yes, it's the John Lasseter collection.  They should be replaced with Williams' turtlenecks. 

• 3 weeks later...