The Last Jedi Box Office Predictions (No Movie Spoilers Please)

Ollie

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

I know, they were a mess! It's crazy though, that each of the prequels received an "A" audience score...

Regular moviegoers usually "love" Star Wars no matter what. Each of the prequels also had good box office multipliers too.

59 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Regular moviegoers usually "love" Star Wars no matter what. Each of the prequels also had good box office multipliers too.

I remember when regular moviegoers thought SW was too nerdy.

8 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

I remember when regular moviegoers thought SW was too nerdy.

Yet they still gobbled it up, and went to the theater to see the films. Star Wars has always had mainstream appeal.

14 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The online backlash will only want people to see what all the fuss is about. Well done Disney!!

Controversy for a big franchise creates interest. How dare Disney try something different. Not my Star Wars! 

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yet they still gobbled it up, and went to the theater to see the films. Star Wars has always had mainstream appeal.

And yet I, a committed fan since childhood, still haven't even seen this one yet. Maybe I've finally transcended it and grown bored by it.

1 minute ago, Denise Bryson said:

And yet I, a committed fan since childhood, still haven't even seen this one yet. Maybe I've finally transcended it and grown bored by it.

You probably lost interest. Happens!

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

And they will keep on making them, of course. But TFA will probably never be equalled (financially) and that's telling me something.

You mean just like TESB and ROTJ did the box office that Star Wars did?

How is that telling?

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

That important distinction you forgot. 

That's how you compare, you look at the numbers of the previous Star Wars film. It's what Disney will do, I sure.

34 minutes ago, publicist said:

"There's a difference between big box office numbers and strong ones."

Its not a failure by any means. Not by a long shot. But it is a tad dissappointing, much like the film itself.

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That's how you compare, you look at the numbers of the previous Star Wars film. It's what Disney will do, I sure.

Alex, this is just what some irrational fanboys gleeful for the movie's failure would state. This movie hauled in 800 Mio. $ in under two weeks and will probably have raked in at least 1.3 billion when it's finished in february. So what are you talking about? What WILL Disney do about that, i ask? Wringing hands in despair?

Well, I could say that only irrational fanboys think that a decrease by half is totally insignificant. What will Disney do?! They will wonder why the franchise is decreasing.

You are seriously accusing me of being an irrational SW fan? :lol:

I state the bleedingly obvious. Your reliance on TFA numbers is just rubbish. You look what you've spent and earned accordingly. If it's thrice the amount you go on and don't worry. Or do you seriously think a business as fickle as the movie industry can rely on crystal balls or secret recipes to catch the lightning in a bottle twice?

Like I've said, TLJ's final total will be a respectable haul. But the fallout from this film will be felt when Solo and Episode 9 are released. The people who hated TLJ might stay home for those films. Franchise fatigue and waning interest may also contribute to that.

Solo would "fail" (it's Star Wars, it'll still bring in more than most movies could even dream of) without TLJ ever existing. It's not going to be a good measuring tool.

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

Like I've said, TLJ's final total will be a respectable haul. But the fallout from this film will be felt when Solo and Episode 9 are released. The people who hated TLJ might stay home for those films. Franchise fatigue and waning interest may also contribute to that.

Nonsense, people will line up in droves to see JJ finish Star Wars. 

Solo will probably do decent business.

There is no way Disney were expecting TFA numbers with any more Star Wars films. That was the big one and they made sure to milk as much from it as they could. 

The marketing for that film was insane. If you told me they spent more on that film than RO and TLJ combined I'd believe it. 

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Didnt TFA do over 2 billion? and Rogue One well over a billion, with TLJ passing 800 million within a fortnight?

Disney is absolutely raking in the money right now.

This.

Some here cannot even fathom how much money that is and what leverage 'even' a 1-billion dollar haul means in franchise worth. 2017 has been an alarmingly lackluster year in BO until 'It' and TLJ came along and still, people here rave against that as if it was an abject failure.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

rubbish. 

No, the numbers are facts. You are rubbish, pubs (for saying things like rubbish and irrational fanboys).

You are seriously accusing me of being an irrational SW fan? :lol:

God, you are not dumb are you?

Alex, this is just what some irrational fanboys gleeful for the movie's failure would state.

I rest my case ...

Alex, you have seen the Prequels right? Shockingly incompetent and dull films. Yet each made tons of money.

Star Wars is a huge franchise, regardless of its quality....it will make money!

There's nothing in film history like it. Bond comes closest in financial reliability.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Alex, you have seen the Prequels right? Shockingly incompetent and dull films. Yet each made tons of money.

Star Wars is a huge franchise, regardless of its quality....it will make money!

There's nothing in film history like it. Bond comes closest in financial reliability.

Harry Potter? Middle-earth? 

What if it's a trend, Steef? What if the next Star Wars performs half as good as TLJ ? I just don't agree with those who are saying "2 billion or 500.000, Disney doesn't care." They just lost half of the audience. There's no panic but it will be discussed.

I would argue the Potter numbers don't hold up alongside Star Wars or Middle-earth but you could definitely bank on them being a success. 

A 7th Peter Jackson Middle-earth film would do less than the previous 6 I think. 

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It would depend on reviews.

Agreed. If the reviews were saying it was more Lord of the Rings and less the Hobbit it'd do well but I think the general public have had their fill of Peter Jackson blockbusters. 

I wouldn't worry about Jackson's career any more than I would Disney's box office numbers. Will he be making a 2-Billion film any time soon? No, but that's okay.

As said, it all depends on marketing and reviews.

I really think there are two sides to this box office debate.

On one hand, obviously the film is a huge financial success. Denying that is just silly. There’s no way these aren’t good numbers.

On the other hand, I think it’s misguided to think that Disney isn’t taking note of, and is concerned about, the negative backlash from a significant part of the fan base. They certainly are. Those fans need to be there when interest isn’t skyrocketing. Disney relies on those fans for all kinds of intangible things in terms of maintaining buzz and keeping interest in the franchise high, but most importantly for repeat business. It’s for the latter reason I believe Disney, while no doubt pleased with TLJs take, nonetheless have to be concerned about the significant box office drop off.

And yeah, I do believe they’re likely reconsidering handing the keys to the kingdom to Johnson for a new trilogy. They are definitely going to need the fans along for any story outside the main Saga, and right now it seems to me goodwill towards Rain’s vision isn’t exactly high.