The Last Jedi Box Office Predictions (No Movie Spoilers Please)

Ollie

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

Disney/LFL might resort to releasing the original unaltered trilogy in 4K UHD as a desperate measure to lure disillusioned fans back to see Episode 9.

It's taken so long now that I wonder if many people still care for an unaltered release of the OT.

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Not unless George Lucas allows them.

Spoiler: he won’t. 

I think there's some partial truth in this, but I'm not sure "allow" is the right word. I frankly don't believe there's anything contractually preventing Disney/LFL from releasing the unaltered OT, but my guess is that they're (specifically, Kennedy) simply not doing it out of respect for GL's wishes.  

Also, as far as everyone outside the very hard core fan base is concerned, the movies have been released on Blu-Ray.  The public isn't exactly clamouring for GOUT right now. And when Disney is ready for them to be, the nostalgia machine will go into overdrive and then the demand will be there.

Disney bought Star Wars to make billions from new movies. Not making hundreds of thousands from old movies. 

I still believe George kept final cut rights when he sold the company. In the event of his death I believe those rights will pass to his estate. 

53 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I still believe George kept final cut rights when he sold the company. In the event of his death I believe those rights will pass to his estate. 

There's zero evidence of this, nor is there any reason to believe that the "final cut" rights (whatever you think those are) weren't sold to Disney along with everything else. Those movies belong to Disney, period.  

53 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Disney bought Star Wars to make billions from new movies. Not making hundreds of thousands from old movies. 

This much is certain.

Though no doubt it would be more than "hundreds of thousands."  It would be tens of millions.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Didnt TFA do over 2 billion? and Rogue One well over a billion, with TLJ passing 800 million within a fortnight?

Disney is absolutely raking in the money right now.

Disney is raking in the $s right, but I'm afraid that, because The Mouse is an evil, avaricious cunt, it will never be enough.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

There's zero evidence of this, nor is there any reason to believe that the "final cut" rights (whatever you think those are) weren't sold to Disney along with everything else. Those movies belong to Disney, period.  

Aside from the fact that they haven't made any attempt to release the original cuts and Pablo Hidalgo has confirmed that there are no plans to do so and even if they were George is the one stopping it from happening. 

It's not a personal thing with KK either because if Disney wanted them released they'd do it. 

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Why would Disney piss Lucasfilm off by doing that? Its common knowledge Lucas prefers the SE's. Who would Disney potentially start a conflict with filmmaker friends if Lucas?

There's only so much you can make from releasing the original cuts, and Disney is hardly desperate for money.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Why would Disney piss Lucasfilm off by doing that? Its common knowledge Lucas prefers the SE's. Who would Disney potentially start a conflict with filmmaker friends if Lucas?

There's only so much you can make from releasing the original cuts, and Disney is hardly desperate for money.

Well, yes. But that's my point. They're not refraining from releasing the GOUT for contractual reasons (again, there's ZERO evidence of this), but rather out of respect for GL's wishes.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Aside from the fact that they haven't made any attempt to release the original cuts and Pablo Hidalgo has confirmed that there are no plans to do so and even if they were George is the one stopping it from happening. 

It's not a personal thing with KK either because if Disney wanted them released they'd do it. 

Ugh. You really have no idea. And Hidalgo actually never said it was for contractual reasons, he suggested it was because presumably GL doesn't want it to happen. Which is actually something we do know for sure.

And there could be many reasons for Disney not releasing the GOUT yet that have nothing to do with what they legally can and can't do.  Again, if you are privy to the contract between George Lucas and Disney (which you seem to be) that says Disney can't release any version of the films they bought, and now own, that they wish, please, by all means, show us.

The altered versions are better anyway. They have Hayden, Gungans, Sebulba, the proper voice for Boba and an awkward hammy appearance by Episode III Ian rather than that dreadful original take on The Emperor that once instructed the Energizer Bunny to retrieve batteries.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I rest my case ... again.

Learn to control yourself.

Then stop arguing like a half-witted kid. You parade around your slim argument - if it can be called such - that there are dark clouds ahead for this franchise which is just obviously silly nonsense. What you think will Di$ney do? Stop making them because they earn less than 2 billion $ each? They surely knew that before you studiously read Boxofficemojo this morning. What will they do when the next one - law of diminishing returns - makes even 200 Mio less? Let us take an educated guess: continuing making them since this is still a huge profit? 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

makes even 200 Mio less?

If it's 'only' 200 million less then I completely agree with you: Sun is shining in the sky. There ain't a cloud in sight. It's stopped raining, everybody's in a play. And don't you know. It's a beautiful new day, hey, hey, hey.  However, if it happens to be 800 to a billion dollars less, then it will be an item on the next board meeting agenda. That's what companies do when they see their gross income cut in half. I think they also want to know the reason behind the negativity. But no, pubs, I never said they will stop making them. A billion dollars worldwide is still huge. According to Steef the only reason why TLJ is going to be less successful is because it's not the first of the Disney Star Wars movies. To be honest, I'm not altogether sure of that. The last Planet of The Apes movie made twice as much money as the first movie of the new trilogy. 

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Didn't ESB make about half of what SW managed to earn?

Karol

Yeah and it killed the franchise... oh wait,,,

To this day, Empire Strikes Back remains the least lucrative of the franchise, because 80s audience had little taste for cinema that was anything other than purely escapist in genre films.

Much of why Return of the Jedi is the way that it is, is due to the producers trying to return to the formula of the original Star Wars.

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Didn't ESB make about half of what SW managed to earn?

Karol

The Avengers II made as much money as the record-breaking first movie. 

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

To this day, Empire Strikes Back remains the least lucrative of the franchise, because 80s audience had little taste for cinema that was anything other than purely escapist in genre films.

?????????

It isn't anything other than that. It isn't The Godfather Part II, it's a popcorn space movie for adolescent boys.

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The Avengers II made as much money as the record-breaking first movie. 

It is a better film. SW 77 is barely watchable these days. Didn't age as well as some other films from the era.

Karol

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

It isn't anything other than that. It isn't The Godfather Part II, it's a popcorn space movie for adolescent boys.

Yeah, that was a weird comment. TESB is escapist fare. 

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Much of why Return of the Jedi is the way that it is, is due to the producers trying to return to the formula of the original Star Wars.

Omg where do you get this stuff? 

I guess Saturday of Sunday TLJ will take the #1 spot at the BO in the US. I suppose a strong Friday-could do it. 

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

?????????

While it's not particularly grim and perilous in the way a lot of modern blockbusters sometimes feel, it is much darker and more serious than either two Star Wars films. In that sense, it's not purely escapist and as a result viewers in 1980 found it less digestible.

sorry but that is utter bs. Excuse me let me clarify, BULLSHIT.

Audiences in 1980 went freaking nuts for ESB. We're talking at the time the 3rd most successful film in cinema history at that point. It was one of only a small handful of films to make over 100 million and only the 2nd film to make over 200 million in it's initial release. This was a film that sold out the theatres for weeks. The boxoffice in the 70's and 80's was so different then and it does not resemble the current boxoffice situation in the 2nd decade of the 21st century. 

To say audiences found ESB less digestible that ROTJ is ridiculous for two reasons, 1. it preceded it, and 2. the ending of ESB set up the success of ROTJ.  

Watching TLJ or even TFA speed it's way to big BO numbers fails to impress as did Jaws, Star Wars, ESB, Raiders,and E.T in their boxoffice journeys. 

Their success was phenomenal because theses films became phenoms. They were not manufactured boxoffice hits. There was no guarantee. Sequels were not an automatic. What The Empire Strikes Back did was unprecedented. Yes Jedi made more but it was not what people expected and the level of disappointment was far higher given the great set up by ESB. A high percentage of fans to this day say ESB is the best sequel in the series and possible the greatest sequel of all time. It certainly ranks high at this site where it is considered John's greatest score. 

I personally remember seeing the film on opening day, After it was over I immediately bought tickets for that evening so I could take my mom. "SPOILER ALERT" there was one scene when the audience gasped in unison. That day everyone stood and cheered despite the open ended ending. 

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Too bad Return of the Jedi is comparatively flawed and prevents the trilogy to be a perfect trilogy like Lord of the Rings. Hopefully that won't happen to Episode IX.

LOTR is one of a kind in that sense. Flawless trilogy. Perfectionists would only comment on its lack of following the book entirely. It doesn't bother me, though.

Because it's not really a trilogy. It's one long film split three ways. That's why they feel so uniform in quality.

Not following the book isn't a problem at all. What makes Lord of the Rings so excellent is th audacity of the filmmakers to make bold changes to the source material to fit the cinematic format.

There are of course flaws: the excessive fake-out deaths are one. But on the whole, it's about as close to perfect as you can want.