The Last Jedi Box Office Predictions (No Movie Spoilers Please)

Ollie

My expectations are spoiled but hardly spoilers

And 600M by Jan. 7

48 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I expected him to be a man of Duty like Ben Kenobi.

"Man of duty"?

By the time ANH comes along, Ben is a washed-up old fart, living in some mountain shack, wearing 30 year-old robes. He can't even remember playing ride along with a fucking robot. That's not man of duty, that's man of dementia.

By the time Star Wars (none of this anh shit) came along Ben Kenobi was a man wrapped in mystery. A man of keen awareness. A man whose words were carefully chosen. He never owned those droids. Like Vader you under estimate this great Star Wars character.

Correct. Ben said he never remembered "owning a droid before." He said nothing about having adventures with them in his youth, as if he would remember that this R2 unit was the same unit that belonged to Padme and Anakin a lifetime earlier. 

Its a continuity error, nevertheless.

It goes to show that, during the production of the original Star Wars, Lucas had no idea he'd go back to this backstory, much less include the droids in it. Same goes for uncle Owen not recgonising either of the two droids.

Its not a fault of the original Star Wars. Its because of the prequels!

No its not. Ben is very specific in his word choice. 

As for uncle owen who cares 

Just now, Stefancos said:

Yeah, a huge flop LOL.

A flop of yuge and bigly proportions. 

Disney will be doubting Rian Johnson and  his new trilogy. 

A unique visual experience such as Avatar in 2009. To date nothing is even close in overall grosses. 

If the Avengers gets great notices several weeks before its release the mythical 300 mill will be threatened on opening weekend in the US. 

17 minutes ago, publicist said:

How so? What would be the secret recipe to quadruple grosses? (the mouse probably wonders too)

They'll go back to trying to please audiences more or something like that. With J.J. returning they're certainly prepared. Wouldn't surprise me at all if IX outgrosses TLJ.

Padme should get her own spin-off movie about the final week before she died, and how she was terrorised by a malicious supernatural force that inevitably kills her in the end, indirectly through Anakin. There was more going on in her head than Lucas was letting on.

25 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Where do I know this fault from?

Well it is a lot of modern Hollywood in a nutshell. "Don't worry, will make it more audience friendly for the masses next time!" Proceeds to screw things up again.

They'll go back to something more crowd-pleasing for IX, but not because of fan reaction to VIII.  It's because they hired JJ Abrams, and because the movie is set to wrap up all the storylines of the trilogy.

I'm sure the people on Twitter loudly complaining about things they don't like about TLJ will consider this a reaction to their complaints, but Abrams was hired and the Ep IX story was broken before well before TLJ was released.

23 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Abrams was hired and the Ep IX story was broken before well before TLJ was released.

Was it?

Anyway, besides JJ's tendencies, its become something of a fashion for the third episode of a trilogy to be strongly bound to the first one: Return of the Jedi did it; The Dark Knight Rises did it. Makes it feel like the trilogy has gone a full circle.

They supposedly didn't make any changes to TLJ to possibly fix some issues they will have to deal with in IX such as Fisher's death.  Since she's not going to appear in IX, I guess they're going to have to include something about it in the opening crawl.  I didn't expect Rian to change his movie to make Fisher's death work in the overall story but it could have made easier to deal with in XI.

19 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Was it?

Anyway, besides JJ's tendencies, its become something of a fashion for the third episode of a trilogy to be strongly bound to the first one: Return of the Jedi did it; The Dark Knight Rises did it. Makes it feel like the trilogy has gone a full circle.

https://makingstarwars.net/2017/12/jj-abrams-pitched-star-wars-episode-ix-bob-iger-today/

Bob Iger mentioned at a press conference that Abrams was pitching the full story on 12/15/17 (I guess he could have taken the early complaints from the first day of release and called a massive audible, but that's unlikely).

Yeah, but that's just a story outline. 

You only truly have a grasp on the story when you have a first draft of an actual screenplay, with all of the planting-and-payoff mechanisms in place.

I thought they would have been working on revising the story ASAP after Fisher's death considering IX was supposed to be her film.  They still have 5 months yet before they start filming.  

We'll see.

I don't have high hopes for this one. I like JJ Abrams but he's done nothing that I'd consider masterful in any way. And third entries in a trilogy are very, very tricky!

And that's without all the complexity of changing directors, the passing of a major cast member and the way Rian Johnson chose to end his film.

They've been working nonstop on the story - Abrams probably started from scratch when hired - but it's not like he'd be in a vacuum.  He, and Kennedy, and the Lucasfilm story group would all be working on it.  Pitching to the brass at Disney meant he was far down the line.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

The Dark Knight Rises

Back to the Future Part III

The Last Crusade

Jurassic Park III

Return of the Jedi

All these trilogies have exceptionally dark second entries and the third one comes somehow back to the formula of the first one.

Yes, great examples.

It should be said, more often than not, this formula can ring a bit false.

When I watch Return of the Jedi, for instance, I certainly feel like that: "oh, you had to have a third installment but you have no idea what to do so you're throwing these elements from the first film at us again. Great."

It's because a two films is in many cases the perfect number where it should stop. Fans liked the first film, so you give them a second one which is a bit different. The third film has usually some signs of fatigue and a lack of ideas. There are many examples of films that work well as duos.

The Godfather + The Godfather Part II

Jurassic Park + The Lost World

Gremlins + Gremlins 2

Home Alone + Home Alone 2

Terminator + Terminator 2

28 Days Later + 28 Weeks Later

Kill Bill Vol. 1 + Kill Bill Vol. 2

Trainspotting + T2 Trainspotting

Blade Runner + Blade Runner 2049

Batman + Batman Returns

None of these examples would have/has taken benefit from a third film.

Yes, certain stories just seem to have an enduring nature, and lend themselves to a trilogy, a hexalogy or more whereas others exhaust themselves very early.

I think the distinction lies in how much they are of the mythic as opposed to the episodic.