The Last Jedi Box Office Predictions (No Movie Spoilers Please)

Ollie

I was referring to domestic box office. The Empire Strikes Back made 209m in 1980, while ROTJ made 252m in 1983 and ticket sales hadn't really changed much in the following three, but yes looking it up, Jedi made less then Empire worldwide, surprisingly. 

On 12/29/2017 at 1:09 PM, crocodile said:

But...it made the least amount of money out of the three. Domestically, that is.

Karol

So the ignorance spreads.

But in adjusted gross its third behind Star Wars and the force awakens but in front of all of the others. All of you are so used to sequels making millions and millions of dollars but The Empire Strikes Back was the first sequel to ever break 100 million it was the first sequel ever to break 200 million after 1982 the box office started to change and movie prices started to rise so it didn't make as much money initially as all the rest but it's sold more tickets. Fans loved it they love it to this day too many it's the best Star Wars sequel

46 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

So the ignorance spreads.

But in adjusted gross its third behind Star Wars and the force awakens but in front of all of the others. All of you are so used to sequels making millions and millions of dollars but The Empire Strikes Back was the first sequel to ever break 100 million it was the first sequel ever to break 200 million after 1982 the box office started to change and movie prices started to rise so it didn't make as much money initially as all the rest but it's sold more tickets. Fans loved it they love it to this day too many it's the best Star Wars sequel

Not only that. It's the best Star Wars movie

31 minutes ago, James said:

The Phantom Menace was the first movie in the world to reach 1 billion in box office, correct? 

Absolutely not. 

You can be blase about some records but not the billion dollar mark. Why its 10 time larger than 100 million dollars.

12 hours ago, James said:

The Phantom Menace was the first movie in the world to reach 1 billion in box office, correct? 

No during its initial theatrical run. The first film to go over that line was Titanic and that was quite a lot over that amount. Second, I think, came The Return of the King.

Karol

Just now, Stefancos said:

Wasnt Jurassic Park first?

Nope. It was something around $914 million during its initial run. Think 3D release added the extra 100+ million.

Karol

I'm not actually sure whether Jurassic Park got to 1 billion first. Jurassic Park had a couple of re-releases did it not? 2011 and 2013? Phantom Menace had it's in early 2011. I think Phantom Menace was re-released first and got to the billion a couple of months ahead of JP. Currently JP is around 2 million ahead.

Titanic was first as Karol said. He's correct in saying Return of the King was second, and I believe one of the Pirates was the third. 

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I believe Jurassic Park is a 1 billion dollar movie!

Well it is now. It was never released in China back in 1993 and 2013's 3D release rectified that. So it counts, depending on how you look at it. But it wasn't there first.

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

And then all hell broke loose! 

The films with word "hell" don't sell as well for some reason. ;)

Karol

I'm not a huge fan of the original Star Wars. The acting isn't quite there yet, there's a lot of 70's weirdness to be had (think the creatures in the cantina), and it doesn't have neither the grandeur nor the drama of Empire Strikes Back: See how it pulls a Bambi's-mom on us with Ben's death.

Empire is the only film of the whole series that, I as someone who was exposed to Star Wars as an adult, can watch and say: "this is that good, and than some."

You could try and get me, but I mentioned that I'm an ex-captain in the army, yes?

I thought those who enjoy Revenge of the Sith are absolved, are they not?

As for The Phantom Menace, I enjoy parts of it. To say that I like the film as a whole - nah.

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

You could try and get me, but I mentioned that I'm an ex-captain in the army, yes?

I thought those who enjoy Revenge of the Sith are absolved, are they not?

As for The Phantom Menace, I enjoy parts of it. To say that I like the film as a whole - nah.

Ah don’t worry, Steph likes Star Track so pay no heed!

I don't understand why people complain about the acting in Star Wars or Empire. These are some of the most iconic characters that ever appeared on the silver screen. The main requirement was that they could embody archetypal characters like the innocent hero, the evil villain, the wise mentor and father figure, damsel in distress/Amazon warrior ... And they did so with great success. 

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't understand why people complain about the acting in Star Wars or Empire. These are some of the most iconic characters that ever appeared on the silver screen. The main requirement was that they could embody archetypal characters like the innocent hero, the evil villain, the wise mentor and father figure, damsel in distress/Amazon warrior ... And they did so with great success. 

The acting in the first 2 is spot on. I don't understand what happened afterwards?

On 12/31/2017 at 6:30 AM, Stefancos said:

Wasnt Jurassic Park first?

I just said Titanic with a movie quote. Jeez louize

Return of the King was #2. TFA was the fastest to 1 billion.

TPM and Jurassic Park broke a billion in their 3D rereleases, not in their intitial release. Avatar is the biggest of all with over 2.7 billion.

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The acting in the first 2 is spot on. I don't understand what happened afterwards?

Richard Marquand!

20 hours ago, Stefancos said:

TESB was a very difficult production.

But but it made the least amount of money. Fans didnt like it.

Critics weren't too over the moon about it, either.

20 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Gary Kurtz left as well. 

Add to that, the appointment of someone who didn't have the skill to oversee such a huge production, and an inexperienced director.