Where do you rank the score for "The Last Jedi"?

John

Where do you rank the score for "The Last Jedi"?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you rank John Williams' music for "The Last Jedi" among his previous 'Star Wars' scores?

• It's his best Star Wars score.
    • It's his second best Star Wars score.
    • It's his third best Star Wars score.
    • It's his fourth best Star Wars score.
    • It's his fifth best Star Wars score.
    • It's his sixth best Star Wars score.
    • It's his seventh best Star Wars score.
    • It's his eighth best Star Wars score.

I’d probably rank it below RoTS but above AotC. There’s some great highlights, but I thought the action music was a bit fragmented, and the force theme a bit too prevalent.

9 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

I’d probably rank it below RoTS but above AotC. There’s some great highlights, but I thought the action music was a bit fragmented, and the force theme a bit too prevalent.

That is what bothers me most.

10 minutes ago, Rick said:

I think a score needs repeated listening (in its complete/expanded form, if possible) AND the passage of time in order to be properly compared with an older work.

You're right...

13 minutes ago, Lewya said:

It is probably the weakest Star Wars score written by John Williams. Attack of the Clones, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are the three weakest ones by far.

...but I think at least that can already be said.

I think it ranks above some other ones but I need more time and unreleased music to see where it fits.

I like it a lot better than Force Awakens right off the bat though, and it could beat some of the Prequels. The action music is above the Grevious stuff in RotS and Coruscant Chase in AotC.  The Rathiers seems right out of the Temple of Doom era

I dunno, the action cues have an energy I haven't heard since the pre-Jurassic Park era

The quiet dialogue underscore was dialed down in the film i couldn't hear some of it. Maybe there's some good stuff

17 minutes ago, king mark said:

I dunno, the action cues have an energy I haven't heard since the pre-Jurassic Park era

I love the snowy action cues from Tintin with those virtuosic piano passages, and I consider them much fresher and more energetic than any action music of TLJ.

Anyway, my opinion. ;)

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

I actually hold AOTC in quite a high regard. Some of the material might be disappointing but it has some absolutely stunning highlights.

Karol

Plus it has the gorgeous Love theme.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I think a score needs repeated listening (in its complete/expanded form, if possible) AND the passage of time in order to be properly compared with an older work.

Agreed.  It's still too new and it's genius has yet to be discovered like the previous scores.  This has been the case with every new Star Wars score since TPM (I can't comment if ESB/ROTJ were instant hits at the time).  I've read archived complaints about TPM not having enough of the Force theme.  It was too new and different for some to accept it at the time.

I don't know how to rank it.

But I disliked the movie, so the music was also a big disapointment.

For the use of the Emperor's theme and the reutilization of Here They Come.... that score is a big FAIL for me.

:down:

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Pasi says it's his best Star Wars score? Either he's drunk again, or I REALLY need to get on this album. 

I thought you didn't like film music?

Karol

With this score John Williams sent us a message: I'm a little bit tired of writing Star Wars music.

:(

I feel old, depersonalized. My idols Charles Aznavour and John Williams are dying slowly.

Although not a bad score, it's not a great one either. I rank TLJ at the very bottom. Even lower than Rogue One.

As a listening experience, it suffers from an overlong and sluggish album. Some tracks could have been trimmed or axed entirely.

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's not really a score, it's a best-of.

I'm really angry.

I know that feeling. But I've also learned to not judge a score too quickly, especially Williams' ones. Give it more listens, and I'm sure you'll love it.

Oh it's a best-of like I said.... it's very good... we already know 3/4 of the stuff.

I'm 43 yo.  I listen to Star Wars music since 40 fucking years.

That's enough I think.

Sorry, to use that four letter word, but I'm very very very angry.  This day is one to be forgotten.

I had the same feeling when I first heard TFA...but I love it now. TLJ has a lot of new stuff to offer. It's not instantly recognisable, nor memorable but it's here!

Oh geez, I listen to the End Credits for the first time.... Yes he repeats the Here they come theme.

My god.

I'm disheartened.

So if we resume, Canto Bight is perhaps the only track where the Force Theme is not quoted?