John

Where do you rank the score for "The Last Jedi"?

Where do you rank the score for "The Last Jedi"?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you rank John Williams' music for "The Last Jedi" among his previous 'Star Wars' scores?

• It's his best Star Wars score.
    • It's his second best Star Wars score.
    • It's his third best Star Wars score.
    • It's his fourth best Star Wars score.
    • It's his fifth best Star Wars score.
    • It's his sixth best Star Wars score.
    • It's his seventh best Star Wars score.
    • It's his eighth best Star Wars score.

9 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

I’d probably rank it below RoTS but above AotC. There’s some great highlights, but I thought the action music was a bit fragmented, and the force theme a bit too prevalent.

That is what bothers me most.

10 minutes ago, Rick said:

I think a score needs repeated listening (in its complete/expanded form, if possible) AND the passage of time in order to be properly compared with an older work.

You're right...

13 minutes ago, Lewya said:

It is probably the weakest Star Wars score written by John Williams. Attack of the Clones, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are the three weakest ones by far.

...but I think at least that can already be said.

I think it ranks above some other ones but I need more time and unreleased music to see where it fits.

I like it a lot better than Force Awakens right off the bat though, and it could beat some of the Prequels. The action music is above the Grevious stuff in RotS and Coruscant Chase in AotC.  The Rathiers seems right out of the Temple of Doom era

17 minutes ago, king mark said:

I dunno, the action cues have an energy I haven't heard since the pre-Jurassic Park era

I love the snowy action cues from Tintin with those virtuosic piano passages, and I consider them much fresher and more energetic than any action music of TLJ.

Anyway, my opinion. ;)

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I think a score needs repeated listening (in its complete/expanded form, if possible) AND the passage of time in order to be properly compared with an older work.

Agreed.  It's still too new and it's genius has yet to be discovered like the previous scores.  This has been the case with every new Star Wars score since TPM (I can't comment if ESB/ROTJ were instant hits at the time).  I've read archived complaints about TPM not having enough of the Force theme.  It was too new and different for some to accept it at the time.

I don't know how to rank it.

But I disliked the movie, so the music was also a big disapointment.

For the use of the Emperor's theme and the reutilization of Here They Come.... that score is a big FAIL for me.

:down:

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's not really a score, it's a best-of.

I'm really angry.

I know that feeling. But I've also learned to not judge a score too quickly, especially Williams' ones. Give it more listens, and I'm sure you'll love it.

Oh it's a best-of like I said.... it's very good... we already know 3/4 of the stuff.

I'm 43 yo.  I listen to Star Wars music since 40 fucking years.

That's enough I think.

Sorry, to use that four letter word, but I'm very very very angry.  This day is one to be forgotten.

Oh geez, I listen to the End Credits for the first time.... Yes he repeats the Here they come theme.

My god.

I'm disheartened.

So if we resume, Canto Bight is perhaps the only track where the Force Theme is not quoted?