What's wrong with me? Is it just a phase? Have I finally "outgrown" John Williams?

Josh500

No doubt, it's an exciting time right now for any John Williams fan, and it should be for me too! And yet, I don't feel that excitement, that tingle of anticipation and overflowing and giddy sense of happiness in my belly anymore. I still remember back when Prisoner of Azkaban and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull were released.... I was so excited and happy to hear the music after weeks of waiting, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, hell, I couldn't even think clearly! 

Not anymore. Those times are gone, apparently. Sure, I got the new Star Wars soundtrack, ripped it right away, and listened to it. Once, then twice. And for some reason, it failed to impress me or even make me feel happy about it. I just didn't feel the old excitement anymore. Why, I wonder? The music itself isn't bad, I guess (although, in my humble opinion, TFA is better, if only because of "Rey's Theme" and the first track alone), but it's not that at all. Even before I listened to it, I went into it rather casually and half-heartedly, not to say indifferently. Again, why is that?

And soon we will get The Post. And here again, I listened to the samples, and they failed to excite me. It's always the same, isn't it? This one sounds like a hybrid of Nixon and Catch Me If You Can! We've all heard it before, haven't we? 

Am I the only one who feels this way? Is it due to my advancing age (I'm in my mid-thirties now), and is it just a phase? Kinda like a mid-life crisis, only with music? What's wrong with me?

Nothing in the music changed, it is still very high class of film scoring. In my book even better than ever. It's very usuall that peoples liking changes time to time and some changes in life affects to the attractions but I John is still good.

15 minutes ago, hornist said:

I'm 51 and have had my ups and downs, now Johnny is amazing. Funny sometimes people have some issues and it effects their musical tastes, strong opinions. But I think it is very high level what we are having now.

I'm not doubting the fact that JW's output is high quality. 

It's just that I don't feel great excitement about the music anymore. Or just not as strongly.

9 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Maybe you just don't care for his newer scores.

No.

I still like Tintin and War Horse. 

It depends, do you get excited about any new music?  If you are more excited about Taylor Swift or such than Williams, then I would say you have a problem. Otherwise, the work of one man, particularly when you have listened to about 100 hours of his work, might fail to excite like it once did, and there is nothing unreasonable about that.  Finite goods are finite for a reason: they are always limited and fail to produce any ultimate, permanent satisfaction.  

8 hours ago, Tom said:

It depends, do you get excited about any new music?

I generally don't feel very excited about new stuff anymore. Music, movies, books, video games, etc.In my teenage years and when I was in my twenties, I couldn't get enough of them. Ah, I miss those times.

But on a positive note, I still get excited about having sex with my gf. :D

"mid-thirties now."

Sight.

John Williams is still the best, He'll always be.

We have expectations, but as always he can't make magic for a movie that doesn't have.

Strong with the Force he is, but not as strong.

1 hour ago, king mark said:

I haven't outgrosn him in 40 years

You are FORTY years old? 

How .....

Why ..........

Excuse me, I need to pick myself up from the floor and lay down ... 

A little related - I was reminded of this interesting article about when our musical tastes are formed (between the ages of 14 and 24):

https://mic.com/articles/96266/there-s-a-magic-age-when-you-find-your-musical-taste-according-to-science#.WJFdniDIU

Although I had noticed Williams music earlier, and I didn't start listening to it away from films at age 18. I got into the other major film composers soon after. At around the age of 15, my guitar teacher introduced me to Joe Satriani Steve Vai - two artists that like Williams are still producing music. I'm currently 45. It's interesting to note that those artists still and probably always will form the bulk of my listening. It was also interesting to notice how my preference for instrumental music gradually grew - I think it first manifested itself in my enjoyment of Mark Knopfler's long guitar solos.

I can't ever see myself getting tired of them or losing that passion for their music (Joe Satriani has a new album out in a few weeks and I saw him in concert earlier this year) , but certainly, I sometimes take breaks and then when I return - the wonder and amazement always returns. Having said that, I've never understood the concept of getting sick of a song. If I like a song, I like it forever. So, I wouldn't want to listen to same song over and over, but repeated listens don't take away from my appreciation of a piece of music which in my case usually is most often its melody.

Maybe you just need a break? Do your favourite Williams' pieces still excite you?

Whenever I feel like I have Williams fatigue, I force myself to go back and listen to some of his works that I had previously written off as not being entirely up to snuff. While it may at first seem counterintuitive, the end result is that I give myself a break from my go-to Williams material that I was becoming fatigued by and I more often than not walk away with a renewed appreciation for some of his scoring efforts that had previously not clicked with me in the way that I like. When you go back to listening to your usual Williams tunes, there seems to be some freshness restored to the listening experience. Plus there usually will be some new expansion by that time to become enamored with. 

Watching live performances of JW's music and watching videos of him talking about a score usually helps. Or like that other guy said, listen to any Zimmer or RCP score for a quick fix.

I go through this all the time. I don't really get excited about any film music these days, but I perk up a bit for a big new score like Star Wars. For me, the only thing wrong with JW's music is that I've listened to it too much. It's all played out.

I never really paid much attention to his non blockbuster scores anyway.

None of this affects how I feel about him, he'll always be an absolute beast in my eyes.

Two times I remember experiencing "Williams fatigue" were with the release of Tintin and Book Thief. With Tintin I thought JW scoring what is essentially a cartoon would yield fresh and original music but what we got instead was largely a substitute Indiana Jones score sans the Indy theme. I like that score a little more now but outside of Snowy's Theme I don't return to that music much. My immediate impression was that it was just another predictable JW score and I just didn't care for it.

With Book Thief, the two main themes didn't resonate with me and I wasn't able to appreciate the beauty and delicate nature of the music. It doesn't help that I don't think the film itself isn't very good and that the music works better outside of the film than it does with it. 

In both cases I thought I was simply done with JW music. It just wasn't doing anything for me anymore. Thankfully that turned out not to be the case and although I haven't warmed to Tintin much, I do appreciate Book Thief as a beautiful if slight score. 

I'm almost 43 now. My excitement level for a new score hasn't changed a bit since I became a fan. Even if the score doesn't click with me, I can easily put the focus on his entire oeuvre and scores like E.T., The Empire Strikes Back, Schindler's List or The Prisoner Of Azkaban always win me over. 

8 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Am I the only one who feels this way? Is it due to my advancing age (I'm in my mid-thirties now), and is it just a phase? Kinda like a mid-life crisis, only with music? What's wrong with me?

I'm a lifelong reader, and a few years ago I found that my interest in reading had nosedived to a point of near nonexistence.  This was the result, I think, of the fact that my attention was wandering and creating issues with my ability to retain/comprehend what I was reading.  In other words, my brain was letting me know that something was wrong.  In my case, it's due to severe sleep issues, which take a serious toll on one's memory and focus.

Not sure what would account for a decrease in anticipation/enjoyment of new Williams music, but it's worth remembering that when one's accustomed change, there is some reason for it. 

It might also just mean that you're tired of John Williams.  These things do happen.

You're not alone Josh500. I'm in a same phase for years now. With film music generally and that affects Williams too of course.

Maybe I'm not excited about anything any more, except when a favourite film of mine is released on Bluray, but that one still is a momentary excitement.

Could be due to depression, could be due to age, I don't know.

6 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I'm a lifelong reader, and a few years ago I found that my interest in reading had nosedived to a point of near nonexistence.  This was the result, I think, of the fact that my attention was wandering and creating issues with my ability to retain/comprehend what I was reading.  In other words, my brain was letting me know that something was wrong.  In my case, it's due to severe sleep issues, which take a serious toll on one's memory and focus.

Not sure what would account for a decrease in anticipation/enjoyment of new Williams music, but it's worth remembering that when one's accustomed change, there is some reason for it. 

It might also just mean that you're tired of John Williams.  These things do happen.

My reading fatigue was because I needed bi-focals.

15 hours ago, Josh500 said:

No doubt, it's an exciting time right now for any John Williams fan, and it should be for me too! And yet, I don't feel that excitement, that tingle of anticipation and overflowing and giddy sense of happiness in my belly anymore. I still remember back when Prisoner of Azkaban and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull were released.... I was so excited and happy to hear the music after weeks of waiting, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, hell, I couldn't even think clearly! 

Not anymore. Those times are gone, apparently. Sure, I got the new Star Wars soundtrack, ripped it right away, and listened to it. Once, then twice. And for some reason, it failed to impress me or even make me feel happy about it. I just didn't feel the old excitement anymore. Why, I wonder? The music itself isn't bad, I guess (although, in my humble opinion, TFA is better, if only because of "Rey's Theme" and the first track alone), but it's not that at all. Even before I listened to it, I went into it rather casually and half-heartedly, not to say indifferently. Again, why is that?

And soon we will get The Post. And here again, I listened to the samples, and they failed to excite me. It's always the same, isn't it? This one sounds like a hybrid of Nixon and Catch Me If You Can! We've all heard it before, haven't we? 

Ok. Serious answer. Williams is a film composer. His music to a large part is in service of a film.

To truly appreciate his artistry, see a film like The Post to see JW's incomparable mastery in action. See his sense for storytelling and pacing and see how he's essentially able to re-direct an entire film from the scoring stage by adjusting the emphasis of scenes and taking them in a direction he wants to.

Experience his scores in-film to be excited again. When you watch his score in action actually telling a story, that will get you going again.

In hindsight, I'm kind of glad my car CD player broke. I needed to be forced to take a break from film music. Upon getting it fixed recently (haven't had any music in about six months), suddenly my favorites sound fresh again! I do wish that "break" happened under more pleasant circumstances, but what the hey!

Sometimes my excitement is just not there, sometimes I'm overly excited. No special reasons for that. Having a break from listening to filmmusic or music in general can have a surprising effect. Afterwards, it's new and fresh again! I, for example, am looking forward to all the special editions that a friend of mine ordered for me and that are now waiting for me back home. Having listened to much less music in Canada I will be excited like a child!

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

You're not alone Josh500. I'm in a same phase for years now. With film music generally and that affects Williams too of course.

Maybe I'm not excited about anything any more, except when a favourite film of mine is released on Bluray, but that one still is a momentary excitement.

Could be due to depression, could be due to age, I don't know.

Hmmm, I remember a time when I was much more excited about pretty much everything, like music, books, movies, etc..... These days, it's not that I've lost the ability to feel excitement, but rather I feel excited about different, more ephemeral things: Love for my girlfriend and family, traveling, seeing different places and meeting different people, success in my work and in my language study, etc.

In comparison, books, movies, and music strike me as rather insignificant and unimportant these days. Maybe this is one definition of growing up, I don't know.

9 hours ago, artguy360 said:

In both cases I thought I was simply done with JW music. It just wasn't doing anything for me anymore. Thankfully that turned out not to be the case and although I haven't warmed to Tintin much, I do appreciate Book Thief as a beautiful if slight score. 

The Book Thief is a score I've never particularly warmed to, but I still love Tintin. 

In fact, when it came out, I was blown away by its mastery. Tons of new great themes here. 

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

To truly appreciate his artistry, see a film like The Post to see JW's incomparable mastery in action. See his sense for storytelling and pacing and see how he's essentially able to re-direct an entire film from the scoring stage by adjusting the emphasis of scenes and taking them in a direction he wants to.

Experience his scores in-film to be excited again. When you watch his score in action actually telling a story, that will get you going again.

Well, I'll sure watch the movie. A Spielberg directed and Williams scored movie....

Who's NOT gonna watch it? :D

18 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Maybe you need to listen to more diverse music. Personally, I get tired of a work or a composer if listening too often to it/him/her. I have periods when I mostly listen to other music, like different types of classical music or classic recordings of big band music. There's so much great music waiting to be discovered! After a while I always get back to soundtracks and JW, and the music is just as good as it used to be.

17 hours ago, Tom said:

It depends, do you get excited about any new music?  If you are more excited about Taylor Swift or such than Williams, then I would say you have a problem. 

Haha, just like what you like man, don’t worry about it, there’s no right and wrong when it comes to taste.

There is not right and wrong (at least in any moral sense), but there are objective standards for art.  The pictures my five-year old paints are objectively not as good than those painted by the greats, even if the former effects more subjective pleasure in me.  Is this really a controversial statement?  

I’m not going into a discussion about your daugter’s paintings! You know what I mean!

And by the way - reading your two posts together puts a smile on my face. I mean, just look at the analogies you’re making! I get that you are equating JW with “the greats” in your analogy, but by the same analogy your daughter is Taylor Swift, which I’m sure was the last thing you wanted to imply... ;)

Anyhooo,.. all I am saying is: Love what you love, and let others love what they love. It’s ok!

1 hour ago, Tom said:

There is not right and wrong (at least in any moral sense), but there are objective standards for art.  The pictures my five-year old paints are objectively not as good than those painted by the greats, even if the former effects more subjective pleasure in me.  Is this really a controversial statement?  

Everything is art!