First Impressions: The Force Awakens vs. The Last Jedi

Josh500

First Impressions: The Force Awakens vs. The Last Jedi   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which score were you more impressed with after listening to it initially?

This is only about first impressions.... 

Obviously, we've had the TLJ for only a week so far, so first impressions is pretty much all we've got at this point.

Your opinions may change later on, but what do you think at this juncture? 

For me, there's no comparison. TFA wins hands down.

While overall TFA is a more intricate and memorable score, I feel as though TLJ succeeds over TFA when it comes to initial impressions. "Main Title and Escape" does a much better job at immediately pulling you back into the Star Wars soundscape than "Main Title and the Attack on the Jakku Village".

Just now, Loert said:

TLJ impressed me most initially, but I think TFA is actually the better score.

Which tracks were you particularly impressed with? 

I'm still trying to like and make sense of Rose's Theme, but it's hard. This is not a very memorable theme. I can't even hum it.

1 minute ago, JohnSolo said:

I feel as though TLJ succeeds over TFA when it comes to initial impressions

Same question to you.

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Which tracks were you particularly impressed with? 

Mainly the first track and the last few tracks before the Finale.

I am still really intent on listening to a more complete score, though.

I think Rose's theme is pretty good, but nothing special. 

The middle portion of TFA has some seriously awesome music though. Starting with Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle (FYC album) or The Starkiller just before it if you want, then followed by The Resistance (FYC album) into The Abduction (OST) and Han and Leia (OST) and possibly ending with MOTR (OST). That's some amazing music from the middle portions of both the FYC and OST.

I'm not sure TLJ has any equal middle portion highlights, at least not on the OST.

Its early days yet and having no FYC music restricts my ability to better understand the score as a whole, but at the moment I agree with you. As presented on the OST and what I remember from the film, the music is in a near constant rush and never has room to breath. Even just looking at the last 2 tracks from both OSTs, I much prefer Farewell and The Trip and Jedi Steps and Finale to Peace and Purpose and Finale. There's more originality and more evenly paced music in the former than the later. Even the end credits themselves tell 2 very different stories. One could reasonably called a suite, while the other much more a medley. 

Obviously, a return to Star Wars for Williams after a decade, my anticipation for a new film and score really drew me back into the Star Wars hype. TFA is an introductory score in ways and I think that's why I find it more memorable than TLJ. That said I choose to look at these scores as chapters and not necessarily a competition between scores. Both are impressive and both deserve time to delve into them.

TFA has great themes but boring underscore and set pieces,

TLJ has few themes but great underscore and set pieces.

Of course that is quite exaggerated, but this is the way I see it and therefore I like TLJ far more for some reason, although I love the March of the Resistance more than the Imperial March.

On 25/12/2017 at 12:40 AM, crumbs said:

Wonder if TFA's OST could be remixed to sound closer to TLJ? Acoustically they are very different sounding scores.

My first impression was, TFA sounds much better.

Is it just me, or does TLJ sound somehow slightly muffled?

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Is it just me, or does TLJ sound somehow slightly muffled?

Not to my ears. It's a stunning performance, recording and mix, probably the best sounding JW score since Azkaban or Memoirs. Orchestra sounds beautifully balanced, which is partly why all the TFA themes sound so much more dynamic in TLJ than they did in TFA. It might be a little jarring if you're familiar with the brass-heavy TFA mix though.

Williams, Murphy and Sullivan have done a sublime job. Arguably the soundtrack on album has been mixed a little loud (reducing the dynamic range) but there's no distortion. Others might discover some issues analysing the soundwaves though.

Hardly. Have already explained my thoughts on TFA's recording. The recording is sharp and detailed. I'm just not a fan of the brass-heavy mix which drowns out other sections of the orchestra, especially after hearing the score live (it was filled with trademark JW-Star Wars-isms that are inaudible on album/in the film).

TLJ resolved this issue with a more balanced mix that gives equal weight to all sections of the orchestra.

Well it's personal preference. I don't like the album version of March of the Resistance at all, but I love the Lockhart recording.

The MSO did a brilliant job performing the score. Would've bought an isolated recording of their complete score performance if it were available! Couldn't believe all the details hidden by the film/score mix, especially in cues like The Lightsaber/Rey's Vision.

55 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Rose's Theme, the Rebellion theme, and what else?

Themes:

• Rose's Theme
  • Luke's Island Theme
  • Resistance Desperation Theme

Motifs:

• Canto Bight
  • The Fathiers
  • Action/Sacrifice Motif

Nah, those are really just setpiece-specific pieces of music. They're not "motifs" in the thematic sense of the word.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Luke's Island Theme

I prefer calling it "The Last Jedi."

I can't vote because I didn't listen to these first, saw both films in the premier.

But I can compare those first impressions.

In TFA it was thrilling to hear Rey's theme for the first time, instant goosebumps and Poe's theme was also great.

But the first impression in TLJ was even greater, Rose's theme and the brilliant new arrengements of the old themes from especiallyTFA plus OT.

Both times it helped that I heard before some negative comments against these scores, it was more awesome to hear that JW was still brilliant and the fans here have lost it:blink::blink::blink:

I warmed to TFA but I never stopped listening to it for at least a few weeks after initial release. With TLJ, especially having listened to the FYC music from today, I think I'm already done listening to this score. It has some really good musical moments, but very little of this score is drawing me back in for repeat listens. A bit odd but The Post OST is entertaining me a lot right now so I guess it's OK for TLJ to fade into the background.

When I discover a new JW score, I pretty much stick to the concert suites first. An easy way for me to get used to the new themes.

So, with TFA, it was easy, and I pretty quickly adopted the "March of the Resistance - Rey's Theme - Scherzo for X-Wings - The Jedi Steps and Finale" big suite.

Now as I discover slowly TLJ, I'm not still sure of which tracks I would include in a "TLJ Suite".

For now, "The Rebellion is reborn" and "Peace and purpose" have been adopted... but I'm still not sure about the rest... and I don't like the End Credits as it appears on the OST.

Do you like the End Credits on the FYC more or less than the End Credits on the OST? Overall, I find TLJ OST sorely lacking in tracks that begin and resolve nicely and make for a satisfying listening experience from beginning to end whereas TFA had atleast a few such tracks.

1 minute ago, artguy360 said:

Do you like the End Credits on the FYC more or less than the End Credits on the OST?

Yes I prefer the one on the FYC.

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

Now as I discover slowly TLJ, I'm not still sure of which tracks I would include in a "TLJ Suite".

I would use "Rebellion is Reborn", "The Fathiers", "Holdo's Resolve" from the FYC, and the last section from "The Spark". I'll agree this score is less clean cut than TFA, but those tracks I mentioned pretty much cover the material from this score that I think should appear in a TLJ suite.

The Last Jedi was entertaining, but mainly recycled old themes and didn't feel as larger-than-life than what one expected from a JW SW score. The Force Awakens felt fresher and the OST was better laid out.

The Force Awakens. The Last Jedi is good, but The Force Awakens was much more impressive as a "back to basics / new material" type of Star Wars score. I suspect TLJ will probably grow on me on repeat listening's, like is usually the case with a lot of recent JW music. 

On 12/25/2017 at 3:21 AM, Stefancos said:

So were ANH and TESB, what's the problem?

What is-anh? Ive been following John longer than anyone here. Dont remember him scoring a film with those initials.

Yeah it's definitely TFA. Impressed me immediately with beautiful new themes and it felt very well-organised. TLJ is growing on me by the day (I listened to The Rebellion is Reborn this morning for the 20th time and suddenly it hit me in a really emotional way as it hadn't before, I nearly cried!). But it's definitely not an immediate feeling like TFA was.

After 2 weeks or so of listening to TLJ, TFA is probably my overall favorite of the two simply because of the new themes and the end credits suite.  Plus, I fell in love with TFA immediately while TLJ took a bit longer for me appreciate it overall.  Also, while I think Rebellion is Reborn is excellent, I'm still disappointed Williams didn't create concert arrangements for each theme.  I feel if he could expand the Fawkes and Chamber of Secrets themes, he could have done the same for the Rose and Luke/Island themes instead of combining them.  But the new thematic material... :lovethis:, especially Holdo's/Desperation theme. I do, however, feel the action music in TLJ is far superior and more suspenseful than TFA.  Granted, TFA didn't have as many exciting action sequences and was definitely lacking suspense but that's more of a complaint in regards to the film.