The Last Jedi: Guess The Temptrack.

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Called it!

The trumpets at the end are a dead giveaway.

I swear the video was made before your post! @Holkoand @Chewy can vouch for me :P

But yes, it clicked in my head that the endings were very similar in their brassy build up, but I never expected that much of the cue would sync up so perfectly with the scenes preceding it. Credit to Williams for really branching out on this one and creating a very different cue, tonally, even if the climax is in the same ilk. 

• 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

The Sequel Trilogy is a beast of its own in terms of methodology and scoring process. It's definitely different than the way he used to work with George Lucas and he had to adapt to a very different kind of process (and also surrounded with a much larger pressure from the various stakeholders). But it's a fact he has successfully navigated through all this.

Well said. Even deriving something like Holdo's Resolve from Battle of the Heroes is an impressive feat, considering both pieces are utterly memorable and stand on their own feet. One wouldn't even reach the comparison unless they were really looking for it.

That Williams is now scoring films temped with his own music would certainly present some challenges compared to the approach Lucas took, and that's okay. The bigger problem with these newer films is the excess of edits, loops, tracking and dialing out (the latter a result of Williams just scoring the entire picture end to end more than anything). I know the prequels weren't exactly angelic in this area but the ease of digital editing has really hurt the authenticity of JW's score as presented in the final cut. TLJ fared better than TFA but is still heavily manipulated.

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

TLJ fared better than TFA but is still heavily manipulated.

This is why I haven't actually listened to the iso score all that much.  I don't want to get too used to the edits!  Eventually, one day, the full recordings will come out and I would hate to have the film edits too present in my mind when listening to that.

On TLJ, I guess the sequence that suffered the most with editing and tracking was the opening battle. Listening to the iso score, you can tell that there was a lot of editing, minor cues combined and they probably even tracked stuff from Battle of Crait. I guess Williams scored a version of this scene that just kept changing at post production.

For sure. Those big effects heavy sequences are always changing. Makes me worry a little about his score for TROS, considering how vfx heavy that end battle looks, and how massacred the score for TFA was in that film. JJ seems very particular about the score; hopefully the edit hasn't been as relentlessly organic this time around. 

7 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Williams had to follow a temp track for Star Wars... well, since the very beginning in 1977. He's very accustomed to deal with such thing, and he has been very successful, in my opinion, to let the temp track be just a starting point, a jumping board from which he could dive into his

The difference is that for the OT Williams was working of a temp track which contained music from other composers.

For the sequel trilogy I'm sure its all temped with Williams music.

It’s done more subtly, but it is still hacked up like crazy. Every cue has notes cut out or repeated here and there, and as mentioned ‘Escape’ is one giant mess.

12 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Perhaps I haven't listened to them all enough, but TLJ doesn't seem to me nearly as hacked up as any of the prequel scores.

It's done in a far subtler way than TFA, which sounds like someone took a chainsaw to the music track. I'd argue that score is treated worse than his prequel scores, in spite of the extensive amount of rewrites and revisions. In fact, the sheer volume of alternates and inserts seemingly became a sample library for the SFX team to cut and paste all over the film; a far cry from the faithful treatment he received in TLJ (barring Escape, which is really the only blatant instance of cut + pasting).

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's done in a far subtler way than TFA, which sounds like someone took a chainsaw to the music track. I'd argue that score is treated worse than his prequel scores, in spite of the extensive amount of rewrites and revisions. In fact, the sheer volume of alternates and inserts seemingly became a sample library for the SFX team to cut and paste all over the film; a far cry from the faithful treatment he received in TLJ (barring Escape, which is really the only blatant instance of cut + pasting).

Yes it's certainly less noticeable in TLJ than TFA, which is a mess we can't quite quantify given how much of that score is unreleased.

Escape is really the only cue from TLJ I can think of that sounds hacked up, but I guess a lot of the the other changes aren't as noticeable? Either way I'd still argue TLJ is better off than the PT, or at least AOTC and ROTS. Maybe it comes down to how you define "hacked up." For me the extensive tracking in the latter two prequels means there's no comparison. But I'm sure for some people the "hacking" only refers to the treatment of new material.

Yeah it’s true many changes are not so noticeable, especially when watching the movie. But nearly all cues have little micro-edits all over the place which kind of mess up the natural musical intention that Williams had for these scenes. Still a much better treatment than TFA and the PT indeed.

17 minutes ago, Remco said:

Yeah it’s true many changes are not so noticeable, especially when watching the movie. But nearly all cues have little micro-edits all over the place which kind of mess up the natural musical intention that Williams had for these scenes. Still a much better treatment than TFA and the PT indeed.

Very true. You only realise once you edit the isolated score just how many "invisible" edits have actually been made. Lots of looping, lots of stretching, lots of short edits and looped notes. But as you say, nowhere near as bad as TFA or the prequels. TLJ is easily the most faithful presentation of a JW SW score since ROTJ.