Ridley Scott on Star Wars

Arpy

Indeed, although I hear they'd been very aggressive about their share in tickets with The Last Jedi. But its a complex thing: its different for each cinema, and changes on a weekly-basis.

Also, in making such a deal, obviously one doesn't wish to just break even, or make a small profit. Although again, I'm not for a split-second thinking this wouldn't turn out to be extremely profitable for Disney. Its one of those things that they knew would make them money forever from the moment they gave it the go.

We are three movies in and they made probably half their investments back with ticket sales, merchandise and what have you. This is in no risk of getting into red ink. The curious notion that every movie with a SW tag must make 5 billion $ or else is just mad internet talk that no business analyst at Di$ney would deliver with a straight face. The mouse is smart and probably looks ahead not 5 or 6 but 20 to 40 years.

25 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Didn't he donate most of said money to charity?

If he did, good for him.

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

We are three movies in and they made probably half their investments back with ticket sales, merchandise and what have you. This is in no risk of getting into red ink. The curious notion that every movie with a SW tag must make 5 billion $ or else is just mad internet talk that no business analyst at Di$ney would deliver with a straight face. The mouse is smart and probably looks ahead not 5 or 6 but 20 to 40 years.

Wha'?! :o  You mean we have another forty years of Star 'effing Wars?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Richard said:

The "thematic and stylistic threads" were already running through Spielberg's work, after only three films (four, if you count DUEL).

Yeah, some are quicker to spot than others. For example, I can already recognize several Gareth Edwards features (sadly not very apparent in ROGUE ONE). But for Johnson, it's been a bit more difficult. I'll wait a couple of more movies.

It's not Photoshopped. He was in Adelaide for a speech his wife was giving at a seminar or something. They even had a news report asking the lady who served him what he ordered.