THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm not denying that a new JW theme is good.

But the circumstances of its existence point to desperation on Disney's part.

Why? This might have been the intention for a long time. But the post production hadn't begun so it wasn't reported.

Well they didn't seem fussed about it for Rogue.

4 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

I would agree with this more if Disney released their own statement but this came from an interview with Williams and it seems like it was his idea.  Also, I don't think Williams writing Solo's theme is going to keep it from bombing especially after many have expressed disappointment with TLJ's score (for the record, I love it!).

You really think it was Williams' idea?

Yeah, it's a bit odd that Disney hasn't formally announced it, and certainly doesn't exactly strengthen my theory. I still think that it's somehow a response to worries about the film.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Maybe JW had an idea for a theme laying in his drawers and pitched it to Disney. After all, he seems quite commited to SW nowadays.

Willams composed new Main titles theme for TPM, but Lucas used old music for yelow rolling titles. I would like to hear it

Interesting.

I saw there was a surge in all the Powell/Han Solo topics here and elsewhere, but didn't know why (I really have limited interest in keeping up with STAR WARS news and discussions). But then I saw this headline, which explained it all.

I have zero expectations for Williams these days, so I'll allow him to surprise me positively.

This is a bit like the SUPERMAN IV situation.

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Well they didn't seem fussed about it for Rogue.

You really think it was Williams' idea?

Yeah, it's a bit odd that Disney hasn't formally announced it, and certainly doesn't exactly strengthen my theory. I still think that it's somehow a response to worries about the film.

I'm really not sure.  I imagine Powell has started writing the score by now but who knows what's been presented to the TPTB and how/why/when Williams officially came on board.

In any case, I think this bodes well for Williams scoring Episode IX since his interest in Star Wars is still there.

It's hilarious how many news stories have come out with these Star Wars movies that originated as horseshit fan speculation/wishful thinking.

"I don't like Desplat, I want Michael Giacchino instead"

"Dream on"

"Trevorrow sucks, maybe they'll fire him"

"No chance"

"John Williams should write a theme for another composer to use"
"Lol please"

The inclusion of JW's name on the poster is a strong sign of continuity.

2 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Really exciting news, and Williams' confidence in Powell seems even more exciting!

JW's endorsement fee: $100.000

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

A bit sad that Rogue one did not benefit from a williams collaboration :(

JW actually wrote the whole score to Rogue, but was dissatisfied with the end result and adopted the pseudonym "Michael Giacchino".

4 minutes ago, Skywanker said:

Powell Baby

It doesn't work when you say it.

:P

Very excited about the news but theres a part of me that then remembers the Imperial Theme from the original SW and how going forward Han's new theme won't follow him through his journey.

13 minutes ago, Darth Porkins said:

Very excited about the news but theres a part of me that then remembers the Imperial Theme from the original SW and how going forward Han's new theme won't follow him through his journey.

If the new theme is derived from Han Solo and the Princess we won't have that problem.

6 minutes ago, azahid said:

I think the movie is in trouble and they are pulling up the strings to save the movie. Thus Enter John Williams! Anyways.. It's good news for us and a reason for me to get the OST when it comes out next year. 

And the news is spreading round the web fast. This is so PR-based.

1 minute ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Now we have to contemplate whether the Solo theme will creep into Episode IX should we get a Han namedrop...

I was just going to say the same thing. I think not because for people who don't see Solo it will sound like a drop of a new melody that may confuse people.

4 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

At this point I'm convinced the Mouse just wants to rub out as many themes as possible out of JW before he kicks the bucket.

"But gentleman, I'm so tired. Please can I just.."
"STFU AND WRITE!" 

*looks at username*

*reads post*

:lol::lol::lol:

1 hour ago, hornist said:

Most of the audience don't care a shit who will compose a theme for Han Solo!!

Most of the audience will assume JW composed it all, just like they did with Rogue One. That is of course assuming they know who JW is in the first place.

Honestly, as much as I love both Johns, I think I'd rather Powell get to do it all himself. He is the composer I'd want scoring the rest of the franchise.

34 minutes ago, azahid said:

I think the movie is in trouble and they are pulling up the strings to save the movie. Thus Enter John Williams! Anyways.. It's good news for us and a reason for me to get the OST when it comes out next year. 

Well at least they can see it coming this time. God knows why they were so proud of TLJ.