THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

On 1/14/2018 at 12:56 PM, TheForkAwakens said:

There is nothing in the movies to suggest Han is a womaniser. 

There's only one woman Han encounters in the OT.

23 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The interview may have been conducted before that was officially announced.

I thought the same thing but I got the impression from the interview that he was already working on it.

I really wish Powell good luck with this score. I want to hear a good Star Wars score not from JW that sounds effortlessly Star Wars-like. Hopefully JW's theme will help. Gia did a decent job but throughout that score I could hear him trying to imitate classic Star Wars sounds to the point of pastiche. 

3 hours ago, p0llux said:

John Powell likes EDM? Me too.

Can I just say that I love your avatar x) And what you said there works great with it too! loll

On 1/22/2018 at 5:32 AM, idril said:

he can put more energy in a piece of music than a roomful of EDM fuckers

Golden quote!!

Any thoughts as to who this swipe was aimed at?? My vote is HZ and co. :P

On 11/01/2018 at 11:27 PM, crumbs said:

People are just butthurt TLJ wasn't the film they wanted it to be. Rian did something different so automatically it's "wrong." The hyperbole across the internet is predictable and cringeworthy. Mind you, this is after two years of people bitching that TFA was just a rehash!

Just reading through Rian's Twitter comments made me embarrassed; what a horrible reflection on the Star Wars community that people are basically threatening him over it.

It's just a movie folks! Go vent your anger and frustration at something important like poverty or world hunger.

Getting BvS flashbacks here. Funny how that works when it's a movie you like. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 22/1/2018 at 7:45 PM, Philippe Roaché said:

Regardless there is no evidence to support the notion of "womanising". Even counting deleted scenes that include Han with a woman in the cantina, this is not womanising.

On 22/01/2018 at 7:45 PM, Philippe Roaché said:

There's the woman who says "Stand by ion control...fire!", and there's Mon Mothma.

There's a behind-the-scenes photo of the actor who plays Greedo...wearing pink stilettos.

On 25/02/2018 at 4:33 PM, Richard said:

There's the woman who says "Stand by ion control...fire!", and there's Mon Mothma.

There's a behind-the-scenes photo of the actor who plays Greedo...wearing pink stilettos.

Not to mention the Jedi temple librarian aka Snoke.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

I hope Williams took the time for write an actual concert piece of the theme rather than a simple piano sketch for Powell to adapt.

I think he have, and it will be featured in the OST. Or at least I hope :lol:

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

Official crediting per the new poster:

"Han Solo Theme and Original Star Wars Music by John Williams
Score composed and adapted by John Powell"

source: https://i.redd.it/0kqf36mg8sq01.jpg

If I'm not mistaken this is the first confirmation that they've actually used the theme he wrote. I wonder, has this ever happened before that Williams wrote a theme for a movie someone else composed?

Also, confirmation that they're using existing SW themes (I guess neither of these confirmations are very surprising, but still). What do we think gets a nod? Surely the main theme and Rebel fanfare, right? Maybe Imperial March? Do with think Powell is cool enough to know the original Imperial theme? Do we think the Force theme gets a play even though (it seems like) no one in the movie uses the Force?

1 hour ago, DominicCobb said:

Do we think the Force theme gets a play even though (it seems like) no one in the movie uses the Force?

Ask Michael “let’s use The Force theme as a epic-wide-shot-of-rebel-spaceships-taking-off theme” Giacchino.

And we don’t know how much Williams’ new theme is used in the piece; Powell may want to not quote it all that often and use more of his original score instead, so we’d end up with a handful of statements. Just sayin’.... We’ll have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

It's still strange to me that we are finally getting a Han Solo theme from JW and it's coming from a SW spin-off film of all things.

It'd be even stranger, I suppose, if JP gave us a Solo theme before JW did. I'd prefer it that way (grumble grumble), but what the hey, I'll go along with the gag.

The way its credited makes me suspect that we're getting a concert arrangement of the theme on the CD and/or end-credits, which would be great!

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Ask Michael “let’s use The Force theme as a epic-wide-shot-of-rebel-spaceships-taking-off theme” Giacchino.

Yeah, I had thought beforehand that Rogue One wouldn't have much of the Force theme either... I think the worst actually is when its used as intro music for Jimmy Smits. 

I will say in fairness to some of its uses, Rogue One is a very dramatic, high stakes epic story, so in that context I can see using this as sort of a general powerful fate theme, but with Solo I don't see that possibility. I'd be very surprised if it makes it in in any sort of natural way.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

And we don’t know how much Williams’ new theme is used in the piece; Powell may want to not quote it all that often and use more of his original score instead, so we’d end up with a handful of statements. Just sayin’.... We’ll have to wait and see.

I'll take what I can get, no expectations from me. One fact that's promising though is if it's a theme for the main character, it'd be somewhat odd if we didn't hear it a good amount.