THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There was certainly character development for the main character.

I respectfully disagree; I think Jyn was a terribly written protagonist with little to no actual development. From the start, she says that she doesn't care at all about the current galactic civil war (even though the Empire killed her mother, threatened her and her father's life, etc.). Then she finds her father, who is subsequently killed by rebel bombers on accident. Two minutes later, she discovers/is told that the Rebellion wanted to kill her father all along. This is a character that couldn't possibly care less about the conflict between the Empire and the rebels; she is entirely disillusioned with war. Well, what do you do after an organization kills your father and forces you to risk your life so they can accomplish that? You save the darn organization. Yes, she helps the Rebellion and saves it from dissolution. Therefore, I cannot believe or understand the third act of the film, because if anyone had any common sense in the writing department of Lucasfilm on how humans work, it wouldn't have happened.

Jyn Erso is lower than one-dimensional; at least one-dimensional characters have a consistent goal.

She's motivated in destroying the Death Star because she's seen what it can do and doesn't want it to happen to the galaxy. Also, she's one of the only people who knows it actually has a weakness, so there's a point in trying to get the plans.

As for why she helps the people who ordered her father's death: by going to Scarif with the group, she actively disobeys their orders and rebels against them.

3 hours ago, idril said:

I wasn't mad about Rogue One at first because of the total lack of character development or camaraderie. However, as time goes on and I rewatch it several times, I have learned to appreciate it for what it is and I have always loved the entire final action sequence. I just think there could've been less action in the beginning/middle of the film and more actual making us care about all these people so we actually cry when they die.

What action? The film is utterly boring and inconsequential until the final action scene. And when that scene comes, its firing on way too many fronts: Jyn is inside the base, the other Rebels are on the ground, the fleet is in the sky, etc. Its Return of the Jedi syndrome!

3 hours ago, idril said:

But the whole movie is totally worth it for the final Vader/Leia bit.

So the movie is worth it for fan service? than what's the point of making an original story if that's what it amounts to? you might as well have simply made another The Force Awakens.

28 minutes ago, Holko said:

She's motivated in destroying the Death Star because she's seen what it can do and doesn't want it to happen to the galaxy. Also, she's one of the only people who knows it actually has a weakness, so there's a point in trying to get the plans.

As for why she helps the people who ordered her father's death: by going to Scarif with the group, she actively disobeys their orders and rebels against them.

Exactly. She completes the mission for the greater good. Not for the Rebels.

20 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

What action? The film is utterly boring and inconsequential until the final action scene. And when that scene comes, its firing on way too many fronts: Jyn is inside the base, the other Rebels are on the ground, the fleet is in the sky, etc. Its Return of the Jedi syndrome!

I agree that the 'action' in the beginning and middle of the film is fairly boring and unmemorable. But I find the abundance of the final sequence quite spectacular. Didn't so much mind it in RotJ either though.

20 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

So the movie is worth it for fan service? than what's the point of making an original story if that's what it amounts to? you might as well have simply made another The Force Awakens.

Well it may be a little hyperbolic to say it is 'worth it' just for that. But I think it's a genuinely dramatic and cathartic sequence. Seeing Vader in action like that may be fan servicey but it is also our one chance to actually see Vader fight in a modern and terrifying way. Sure, that's something fans might have wanted. That doesn't make it bad. It makes it something dramatic and exciting that fans wanted, that was seen and was well done.

I also feel like the ending sequence ties in Rogue One with A New Hope in a way that does make Rogue One feel more worth it as a film. It makes these people's sacrifice seem meaningful and adds to the beginning of New Hope. 

I do agree, we should have been made to care about their sacrifice without needing Leia and callbacks so directly. I desperately wish they had just spent some time building the team, giving them actual dialogue, using the very talented actors at their disposal. But they didn't, and that makes the movie weaker. However, for me at least, that ending saves much of what was wrong and makes me care retrospectively a lot more.

That's fair. I'm certainly not saying that the film is completely without merit. I don't hate it by any stretch of the imagination: its a perfectly servicable motion picture. But I do find it lacking in character, in action (until the finale) and in polish (the digital double of Leia gives me night terrors).

I'm also not a fan of the "seamless" transition in the case of this film.

I thought Rogue One was bit bland but not horrible in any way. It's a well made film overall that tries really hard to make you care. Ultimately, it's only real flaw is that it's pointless for this film to exist. The entire concept of having an entire film to focus on "finding the thing to destroy the thing" instead of "destroying the thing" is bit silly. I guess they could just mention that in the opening crawl.... oh.... 

Karol

17 minutes ago, idril said:

I think I get a little exhausted at times with all the hating of Star Wars films. Like I sometimes lose the will to hate and just embrace them for what they are. With TLJ as well, it's like - I see the flaws, I really do. But I don't want to hate it. I want to enjoy it for what's good about it.

Indeed. Mine is a similar case with The Hobbit trilogy.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Indeed. Mine is a similar case with The Hobbit trilogy.

Yeah I can understand that. The Hobbit trilogy has its problems (largely at the conception stage in my opinion) but I agree that it is also possible and really preferable to just enjoy it as it is.

And, in both cases, this enjoyment needn't be viewed as a "guilty pleasure", either by the person enjoying them, or by others. Both The Hobbit, Rogue One and The Last Jedi have a lot to legitimately enjoy in them.

23 hours ago, idril said:

I'm pretty sure the character Jyn Erso suffered from the behind-the-scenes recutting, reshooting and rewriting. Admittedly, that might be because her character was less successful in the original cut (the rumour, if I remember correctly, was that she was completely unlikable as a character and it was killing the film; not sure how true that is but obviously something was wrong). But if you watch the early trailer, the scene when she is the rebel base near the beginning getting recruited has a completely different feel to it and portrays a character who seems interested in joining the rebellion. It's hard to know exactly how she was changed or whether it was worse or better but I think it's clear there was no clear, confident or carefully-written character arc. It was edited together to try and be a certain thing, and in a way it was, but I didn't feel the soul of a character in it. And I think that's because there was no true vision for Jyn Erso as a character behind the scenes.

Well said!

On 2/1/2018 at 1:19 PM, Chen G. said:

I believe we all want that.

Although the uses should be appropriate, as you say, not like Giacchino repurposing The Force theme to "epic-wide-shot-of-spaceship-taking-off theme." I think as soon as you're dealing with a composer who didn't write the theme, you run into more risks of that sort of thing happening far too often.

No! They should stick to spin-offs a-la Rian Johnson's proposed trilogy, not do more episodes. There is a lot of drama to be wrung out of finality in a film series. By continuing to make them, they'd undermine that.

I didn't see anything wrong with the use of The Force Theme.

How can you claim further Saga movies would undermine Episode IX when we haven't got even got to IX yet.

On 2/1/2018 at 1:35 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I would love more episodes when the current trilogy has gotten "old", for example in 20 to 30 years.

On 2/1/2018 at 1:35 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I would love more episodes when the current trilogy has gotten "old", for example in 20 to 30 years.

A think a few years should pass before they start working on future Saga trilogy but not 20 years.

I think 5 to 10.

On 5/1/2018 at 7:35 PM, someonefun124 said:

Han was also shown with a woman during the Cantina sequence in a deleted shot. I don't know if a love theme would be appropriate for a womanizer, though.

image.png

I'm guessing it will sound somewhat heroic.  I guess it depends on how's he portrayed in the film... a goofball, scoundrel, hero?

There is nothing in the movies to suggest Han is a womaniser. 

On 2/1/2018 at 1:41 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Return of the King had waaay too many endings. :D

They could still make a new trilogy in some years no matter how conclusive the ending of episode IX.

Exactly.

Return of the Jedi has that conclusive ending and the story can still continue.  No reason why Rey and the heroes can't defeat Kylo Res and face a new adversary five/ten years down the line.

Good find!

So the score to the Solo flick won't have much "velocity and kinetic energy" in it because Powell is exhausted by doing just a minute of it. Maybe that's why they needed JW to write the theme...

I'm still four or five issues behind on FSM Monthly (I just save the e-mails as reminders and binge read the issues when I find the time), but I'll jump right into the new one.  John Powell is almost as good an interviewee as he is a composer.