THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Also clears up any misconception about exactly what Williams contributed to the film; certainly not just a melody scribbled on some paper!

The maestro never scribbles, he CREATES!!

3 hours ago, Smeltington said:

:ola:

YAYYYYYYYYYYYY what an exciting time!! I really hope we hear this in London!!!!!!!

This will be the first Star Wars score to have all the music JW wrote released on the OST. And only the second to be released in its entirety EVER (counting SW77)!

Nah, they'll be a microedit right as it reaches the best bit ;)

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess he conducted it via Skype.

When I ordered Elfman's The Unknown Known from LLL it took more than 4 weeks to arrive here in Berlin. What an odd surprise when I read the credits and found out that the score was recorded in Berlin. 

5 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Hmm. Yeah. Giacchino stuck three in on Rogue One (Jyn Erso And Hope, Imperial, Guardians of the Whills suites). Would be nice for a proper concert arrangement, especially with Powell reportedly having an additional five or something new themes and motifs.

Technically he stuck in 5 concert arrangements in 3 suites as Jyn Erso and Hope suite highlights those 2 themes and Imperial suite highlights Krennick's theme and Empire theme.

This will likely never be confirmed one way or the other, but I would guess that the person who initiated the "Williams do a theme for Han" thing was Larry Kasdan.  It sounds like this was in many ways his movie (writing it with his son and the story of him being instrumental in the director change).  If he asked for it, the Kennedy would have been onboard.  I just cannot see Williams being the one who asked, but maybe. 

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

or what if it's actually the revised Han solo and the Princess?

Then the climax of the piece would give insight into the nature of Han's adventures. 

11 hours ago, Obi said:

Reminds me "The Adventures of Mutt".

Actually, there's an in-universe precedent for that title...
tumblr_inline_o4i2fcxFSe1tsw10x_540.gif

image.png

6 minutes ago, Amer said:

Good news indeed! 

Question is who conducted first Williams or Powell? :lol:

Our old pal, Bill Ross of course!

Composed and conducted by JW? This is great news. I do hope the track is at least 3 mins long. That seems to be the standard minimum for a Star Wars theme.

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Jar Jar Binks

Mutt Williams

Han Solo

1n8eqh.jpg

Yeah. Jar Jar is cool. The others...

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

"March of the Resistance" is around 2:36 and that piece doesn't feel like it needs to be any longer. I'll be disappointed if "Adventures of Han" is less than 2...

But regardless, we'll have a whole score to hear this theme so as long as Powell gets some good mileage out of it, I won't be too fussed about how much we're getting from Williams himself. This is a John Powell score so I'm gonna look at this as Williams throwing out a pitch for Powell to hit a homer.

The prologue from Hook is less than 2 minutes but still a perfect piece of music.

I'm really quite excited to hear a new Star Wars score recorded with the LSO at Abbey Road studios. As much as I like the scores for the ST, the mix is so dry compared to previous incarnations. I think it had a lot to do with the room it was recorded in. Plus, something about the brass didn't seem to pop as much as should have.

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

This is a John Powell score so I'm gonna look at this as Williams throwing out a pitch for Powell to hit a homer.

Indeed. While it's great that we get a new JW concert piece, this is Powell's gig.

Given that I have an issue with the sound quality in older scores (and the OT is a major offender), I'm rather looking forward to hearing some old themes and classic moments (such as Asteroid Field) with a newer recording and Powell's orchestration.

3 hours ago, YoYoMama said:

I'm really quite excited to hear a new Star Wars score recorded with the LSO at Abbey Road studios.

The LSO didn't do the score for Solo. It was recorded at Abbey Road with London-based contracted players.

12 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

The LSO didn't do the score for Solo. It was recorded at Abbey Road with London-based contracted players.

So there'll be a percentage of LSO players. ;)

Kinda funny this movie/OST coming out the same month as LLL's Superman IV release. Two movies that have other composers adapt both an original Williams concert arrangement and pre-existing Williams themes from the franchise.

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Kinda funny this movie/OST coming out the same month as LLL's Superman IV release. Two movies that have other composers adapt both an original Williams concert arrangement and pre-existing Williams themes from the franchise.

But did JW really do the arrangements of his new themes for Superman IV?

Any chance he’d include it in the Boston shows coming up? The second one is literally on Solo’s opening night (and if there’s any reason for me to miss the first showing of a Star Wars film, it’s John Williams! lol).

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But did JW really do the arrangements of his new themes for Superman IV?

Well, even if Williams didn't do the full-length arrangements for those, it's still new themes in a franchise started by Williams provided for another composer to adapt.  Are these the only two times that's happened?

4 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Any chance he’d include it in the Boston shows coming up? The second one is literally on Solo’s opening night (and if there’s any reason for me to miss the first showing of a Star Wars film, it’s John Williams! lol).

Why don't you ask him? You seem to be buddies! ;)

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Well, even if Williams didn't do the full-length arrangements for those, it's still new themes provided for another composer to adapt.  Are these the only two times that's happened?

Chamber of Secrets?

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, JW only wrote the set of new themes and orchestrated them, didn't he?

No, it's not like Solo and Superman IV at all.  Williams wrote the vast majority of the underscore for Chamber himself.  He didn't just hand off a couple of new melodies to Ross.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

No, it's not like Solo and Superman IV at all.  Williams wrote the vast majority of the underscore for Chamber himself.  He didn't just hand off a couple of new melodies to Ross.

Interesting. Do you have some reference on this?

It's not some big secret.

image.png

The only debate was just how much adaption was necessary by Ross, especially "podium changes" or last minute edit changes and such.  There are approximately 2500 pages of debate on that very subject at http://www.jwfan.com 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

It's not some big secret.

image.png

The only debate was just how much adaption was necessary by Ross, especially "podium changes" or last minute edit changes and such.  There are approximately 2500 pages of debate on that very subject at http://www.jwfan.com 

I've aware of what's stated on the cover, but that can be interpreted in a number of ways. I'm rather wondering if JW himself has commented on the specifics of Ross' contributions.

I didn't know that Ross had a stint as a composer for MacGyver!

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Very informative interview. I especially like the clarity of the following paragraph:

Are there any moments in the score that you can identity as being predominantly John’s work, versus those that you can identify as being primarily yours?
I’m not sure how to answer that question. I think some people get confused because they see the “Music Adapted by” credit. That was something that John insisted on from our first meeting. The reality however is that CHAMBER OF SECRETS is a John Williams score beginning to end.

And this quote about some new artist is funny in retrospect:

Josh Groban (a new artist at Warner Records) is preparing to do a second album. I really enjoyed his first album and I’m looking forward to working on the next one.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, it's like a long-running in-joke to insinuate otherwise on JWFan, which probably just confuses newer members or lurkers who don't realize it's a joke.

Implying that Williams wrote all of the music for COS and not Ross is the real joke here. 

Back to Solo (which should be the ONLY topic discussed on this thread), the Powell thread mentions this piece is probably only around 2 minutes.  I wonder if Williams will work up a longer piece for concerts/Hal Leonard.

Btw, "only" means "one," as in "solo," so settle down.