THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Where did it come from again?  Was it Score the Podcast's Twitter? 

It was originally posted here:

https://www.score-movie.com/single-post/2018/05/15/Episode-9-John-Powell-The-Inside-Track-with-Dr-Siu-Lan-Tan-Name-That-Score

and later removed at Powell's request.

I'm going to repeat what I said in a deleted post: The hype on this score is getting wild. When have we ever seen such a tease for a new Williams theme (at least in my time)? Although, does anyone feel that releasing sheets for an entire JW theme and calling it a "sneak peek" is a little low? I suppose SCORE always has their way of accidentally not understanding the significance of things.

I think this entire thread is proving an earlier point - having JW write a theme is a perfect PR exercise to help out a movie that's had a very troubled production. Even non-musical sites are talking about a new theme for Han.

At least JW's track will make it very clear which theme he wrote, and prevent endless bitching about whether some amazing part of some track is Powell or Williams.

Sorry if this comes across as overly negative, but to repeat someone's point from earlier, Powell is absolutely capable of doing this score. He does not need Williams' help.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Sorry if this comes across as overly negative, but to repeat someone's point from earlier, Powell is absolutely capable of doing this score. He does not need Williams' help.

Has anyone anywhere suggested that Powell was not capable of doing this score himself?  It is not as if that is the only logical conclusion one must reach given Williams involvement. 

LOL, yeah, he's the Padawan..... Padewan? Paduwan? Who the F do you spell that dorky thing?!

I'm far too sophisticated for this Star Wars stuff.... 

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think this entire thread is proving an earlier point - having JW write a theme is a perfect PR exercise to help out a movie that's had a very troubled production. Even non-musical sites are talking about a new theme for Han.

At least JW's track will make it very clear which theme he wrote, and prevent endless bitching about whether some amazing part of some track is Powell or Williams.

This is fine but by the same token, Powell doesn't need anybody jumping to his defense either. Williams was involved with Lord/Miller first, supposedly before the production troubles began, and when Powell was offered the gig he was told upfront that for whatever reason, Williams was going to write the main theme but not the whole score. So Powell went in knowing this was the idea and he was happy to do it that way.

So we get a John Williams Star Wars theme in a John Powell Star Wars score. It's pretty neat. Not really a big deal and there's nothing wrong being excited about one or the other if not both.

I concur. I'm really interested in this score because I love Powell in this mode. A theme from Williams is nice, but the highlight of the score? I kinda doubt that.

I can see what you mean @mrbellamy absolutely. I seem to remember someone saying a while back that because JW was writing a theme, that this score was from that point a 'major project' to keep an eye on. Seriously?

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I concur. I'm really interested in this score because I love Powell in this mode. A theme from Williams is nice, but the highlight of the score? I kinda doubt that.

@mrbellamy

yes, it will be the highlight of the score.

Just like the composers who had the misfortune to follow JW in the harry Potter series, they have no memorable theme to speak of

And for the life of me I can;t remember a single Powell theme except Chicken Run which I'm not sure he composed

actually i realize have almost nothing by him in itunes  since he scored mostly animated films...so I'll keep an open mind. But  I can't say i feel compelled to check out stuff like Ice age ,Kung Fu Panda , Rio or Happy Feet

Never heard the Bourne scores either

So you presumably worship John Williams' scores for those wretched Star Wars prequels, but heaven forbid animated film music, eh? ;)

Come now, my good man. Where's your sense of adventure? 

This is actually his first major sci-fi  blockbuster score then 

I was also mistaking him with the guy who did Superman Returns

8 hours ago, King Mark said:

Nah, I'd call X-Men III pretty close to a major sci-fi blockbuster. 

Also, for what it's worth, his animated scores are all quite different from each other. How To Train Your Dragon is a good indicator of what he does with the action/adventure genre ("animated" is not a genre in and of itself).

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

I was also mistaking him with the guy who did Superman Returns

Ottman?! No, very different from each other with what they can and cannot do. Although they are both Johns heh

24 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That's like saying "live action" is a genre.

Eh, live-action isn't really a helpful categorization whereas animation can be. I guess it's a genre of style or medium, like "silent movie"

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

actually i realize have almost nothing by him in itunes  since he scored mostly animated films...so I'll keep an open mind. But  I can't say i feel compelled to check out stuff like Ice age ,Kung Fu Panda , Rio or Happy Feet

Never heard the Bourne scores either

I had kinda never gotten Powell's music (based on only really hearing his animated scores), but chose to revisit some of his more dramatic stuff recently. Wow! Some incredible work. You owe it to yourself to check out Bourne, I Am Sam, Hancock and X3 at least.

But animation also lends itself to different style of coverage (because your camerawork and compositional choices can be completely uninhibited), tone, etc...

So its more than just a medium. From here to calling it a "genre" is not too big a stretch of the imagination...

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

But animation also lends itself to different style of coverage (because your camerawork and compositional choices can be completely uninhibited), tone, etc...

So its more than just a medium. From here to calling it a "genre" is not too big a stretch of the imagination...

Wait, so an unlimited potential for visual communication means it's closer to being a genre than a whole new medium? I don't agree.

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

I don't agree

Allow me to clarify: I don't think animated qualifies as a genre, either.

But I can still see Stefancos' point, even if I don't agree with it.

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Eh, live-action isn't really a helpful categorization whereas animation can be. I guess it's a genre of style or medium, like "silent movie"

Yeah, this is why mom's come back to the video counter very very upset because the parents let their kid rent some Japanese adult anime that they thought would be perfectly appropriate because "it was a cartoon".