THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

Geez. One page of semantics!! But about the Solo theme its funny that some of the "fans" are mad about Johnnys involvement.... I think that Powell is so much a fan of this legend that he is happy to work with the legend. This negativity of some members is just too much. See you in three years.

edit. I was slow

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think his point is that it is odd that on a JW fan board, there are several people who clearly would have preferred that Williams stayed out of the project altogether and are, thus, disappointment that he did write a couple of themes. 

This

I know I'm demented, but for very different reasons!!! lol, Stefancos induced mostly......

I personally cannot wait to hear what Williams wrote and what Powell wrote and adapted! Is it the 25th yet?

20 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

On the other hand, it's not hard to see where somebody who loves Powell and hasn't especially cared for Williams's music these days might roll their eyes at his "honorary" inclusion and possibly feel cheated out of a potentially more engaging Powell theme.

Yep, that's my stance, beautifully described.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I think his point is that it is odd that on a JW fan board, there are several people who clearly would have preferred that Williams stayed out of the project altogether and are, thus, disappointment that he did write a couple of themes. 

And that's why (as I said previously) my stance may appear overly negative, when I'm simply trying to refocus on the fact that this is a Powell score first and foremost. Do I roll my eyes at the 'honorary' inclusion? To some extent yes. My opinion that this was a fan-pleasing PR move to help the film still holds (it got us talking didn't it!)

19 hours ago, King Mark said:

yes, it will be the highlight of the score.

Just like the composers who had the misfortune to follow JW in the harry Potter series, they have no memorable theme to speak of

And for the life of me I can;t remember a single Powell theme except Chicken Run which I'm not sure he composed

:fouetaa:

If you've listened to either of the HTTYD scores and still claim you can't remember a theme, you're hopeless.

And don't claim (again) that you don't only listen to Williams, because if you deny memorable themes in anyone else's scores then you're clearly not listening to them. :eh:

47 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Yep, that's my stance, beautifully described.

Haha that's what it was starting to sound like ;)

It's really not an unreasonable opinion but I think the whole "PR" thing is a little cynical and condescending, like anybody who's excited about the theme is just getting duped.

It's a John Williams theme! I love John Williams themes. They're great for storytelling and Powell's a great storyteller. I like how unapologetic he's been about the score being an amalgam and how excited he was about getting to mess around with the theme. Seems like he really took it as a creative opportunity and that Williams gave him that freedom. I'm down for it.

When the score actually comes out there will only be so much we can say about the concert piece and the quality of the theme itself, and this entire discussion is going to completely shift to Powell and how he specifically made use of the theme, combining JW's voice and his own. But there's not much to say about it yet.

Yes, I find it interesting that some if not more default to a stance of "John Powell doesn't NEED John Williams' help", with all of this news about Williams' involvement. Why would anyone assume it's a case of Williams being brought in because Powell can't handle it? Have you not enjoyed tag teaming anything with anyone before? By all accounts tag teaming seems to be the case here.

49 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Haha that's what it was starting to sound like ;)

It's really not an unreasonable opinion but I think the whole "PR" thing is a little cynical and condescending, like anybody who's excited about the theme is just getting duped.

It's a John Williams theme! I love John Williams themes. They're great for storytelling and Powell's a great storyteller. I like how unapologetic he's been about the score being an amalgam and how excited he was about getting to mess around with the theme. Seems like he really took it as a creative opportunity and that Williams gave him that freedom. I'm down for it.

When the score actually comes out there will only be so much we can say about the concert piece and the quality of the theme itself, and this entire discussion is going to completely shift to Powell and how he specifically made use of the theme, combining JW's voice and his own. But there's not much to say about it yet.

That's a completely fair assessment - I agree with pretty much everything.

I certainly never meant the PR argument to be condescending to those anticipating it. From a purely musical standpoint I'm not complaining for a minute about a new concert piece from Williams.

Dunno if it was posted previously, but in one of Powell's interviews he specifically calls the Solo theme in parts A 'Hero' and part B 'Searching' confirming what we knew from the sheet music. The way Powell describes it though is as if he named them, and perhaps not Williams...

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I think it is time we inform the Moderators our ability to distinguish the Han Solo score threads has diminished.

Only the Dark Lord of the FSM board knows of our weakness

27 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think I posted it in the Powell thread.  Very confusing having two threads in separate subforums for this score

This is getting out of hand!

Always two there are, no more, no less.

BTW, does anyone feel like there is lot more hype for this (the score, not the movie) than it was for TLJ?

3 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

Always two there are, no more, no less.

BTW, does anyone feel like there is lot more hype for this (the score, not the movie) than it was for TLJ?

Not really.

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't think he means personal hype, I think he might mean advertising hype; in which case the answer is actually yes. We didn't hear anything about TLJ's score until the film was released.

Johnny Dubs gotta get on Instagram

17 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Yes, I find it interesting that some if not more default to a stance of "John Powell doesn't NEED John Williams' help", with all of this news about Williams' involvement. Why would anyone assume it's a case of Williams being brought in because Powell can't handle it? Have you not enjoyed tag teaming anything with anyone before? By all accounts tag teaming seems to be the case here.

Isn’t it the case that Powell claimed to have had writer’s block until he heard what JW wrote for Han? In another universe, we might have had a Powell-only score that underwhelmed us because of it. 

55 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

To those who have read the sheet music, how close is it to the King of the Hill theme song?  

I heard the theme and it ain't right. 

John Williams is a well known fan of King of the Hill, actually.  Huge fan.  He's on the record as saying it's his favorite TV show, even the highest form of art he has ever encountered.  He is known to be caught watching it all the time when he gets writer's block and needs inspiration, especially the episode where they go to Japan.  In fact, it's usually that episode that he's watching.  He really just likes that episode a lot...  Over and over.  Every single day.

2 hours ago, Lao Che said:

Hey guys, just discovered this arrangement by chance, its based on the leaked theme score and its really a great effort! Have a listen:) I guess this will keep us happy until the original comes out;) 

https://youtu.be/2_kTInyuPVE

Well, that sure didn't take long to get taken down :P