THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

It's so interesting to me that JW wrote several themes and recorded several cues that Powell says are used throughout the film. I wonder if JW wrote any music for an action scene. If this score produces some new kick-ass SW JW action music, it would be a real treat.

Don't tell me there's going to be unreleased Williams music for this?

Reading the Powell article it seems Williams was a lot more involved than we thought and Powell wrote most of the score based on his themes

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

Don't tell me there's going to be unreleased Williams music for this?

Reading the Powell article it seems Williams was a lot more involved than we thought and Powell wrote most of the score based on his themes

Unreleased score running time: 74 minutes

4 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

but also  a bit of ...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I assume this is for that Darth Maul cameo people are talking about? How does Powell use it? Is it the Korah Rah-tah-mah, the ostinato...? Kinda cool that this finally made its way back in there.

48 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yes, Darth Maul. Powell used mainly ostinato. I was so surprised by this cameo that I’m not 100 percent sure I heard a choir singing. I think i did, for a moment.

I’m sure I’ll catch more details at the second viewing, though the CD will be out by then.

37 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Powell said on Instagram that Han's theme is in 16 tracks.

c.d.tracks or film cues?

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

so basically the JW themes (ir it's adaptations by Powell)  are the highlight of the score

Yes, but... we're talking about John Williams, the best composer on Earth. :) However, Powell did his job excellently, in my opinion. His themes in Solo are also great. And very diverse.

11 hours ago, artguy360 said:

It's so interesting to me that JW wrote several themes and recorded several cues that Powell says are used throughout the film. I wonder if JW wrote any music for an action scene. If this score produces some new kick-ass SW JW action music, it would be a real treat.

That's what I was wondering/hoping for.  Though I suppose if there was any Williams-penned action music in the film, we'd have heard about it by now (Powell's action writing and Williams' are very distinct from one-another)

1 hour ago, Ricard said:

OST cover (already posted on the Powell score thread):

81FxXSj25GL._SL1200_.jpg

I'm surprised it doesn't say Han Solo song and original Star Wars songs by John Williams, and Additional songs by John Powell.

14 minutes ago, King Mark said:

But Powell said Williams  wrote several themes. Is it possible some of these "Powell" themes are Williams/

He said "a couple", meaning two. 

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Han Solo theme consists of a primary and a secondary theme.

13 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Yeah, that was my first thought too! However, I think the best reading of Powell's comments is that JW composed the two themes for Han and helped spot the film, giving suggestions on variations the two themes could undergo (and perhaps on how Powell could treat other scenes in general). But unfortunately it doesn't seem likely that JW wrote any actual film cues. 

I think what is meant by "Williams wrote a bunch of themes" or more than one theme is, as someone stated in a previous page, that Williams wrote a bunch of different themes and ideas for Han and then they settled on these two being the strongest. Not that Williams wrote more than Han's theme and that some of the other themes are his as well. Also he might have orchestrated and recorded different ways the theme can be used and changed throughout the movie and those orchestrations and variations are in there. However still, only Hans Theme is Williams, both part A (Hero) and part B (Searching)

Can't wait to hear it and to hear Powell's themes and cues as well.

Interesting to hear what older themes return, especially a certain one which, for right now, makes no sense to me at all. Why would it be in the movie?!

Giacchino was hired to create the Score Album Artwork.

'Hands Aloe Cream and Werthers Original Star Wars Music by John Williams

Door Closed and Retracted by John Powell.'

24 minutes ago, ocelot said:

only Hans Theme is Williams, both part A (Hero) and part B (Searching)

This.

People should, at the very least, see the movie and hear the score to see if the two parts even appear (and more importantly, emerge) in isolation, before they start talking about them as separate leitmotivic units.

Well we already have an example of the B theme doing that, but who knows if it goes into the hero theme or not. I think it's a safe enough bet, though, if Powell really used it as much as he says there just won't be space to use both every time. 

12 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

Ok, I saw Solo yesterday. I liked it very much, although I rate TFA, TLJ and RO a bit higher. 

You rate TLJ higher? Oh dear...,🙄

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Some of us love that movie

I love King Solomon's Mines with Richard Chamberlain. But if someone told me they rated it higher than Indy V a week before it was released,  I'd be a little worried. 

15 minutes ago, Steve H said:

I love King Solomon's Mines with Richard Chamberlain. But if someone told me they rated it higher than than Indy V, I'd be a little worried. 

Considering Indy V is yet to be frickin' released, that's a perfectly legitimate stance!

1 hour ago, Steve H said:

You rate TLJ higher? Oh dear...,🙄

I absolutely love The Last Jedi! Don't get me wrong, it had it's faults, (as if any of the other Star wars movies did not, maybe not Empire so much) like I did not believe there was any chemistry between Rose and Finn, and she should have just been at the front end of the movie and not gone off ship, which would have given Del Toro more screen time with Finn and therefor a better part in the movie. But all in all it was a high stakes different movie which was all about failure and consequences.

The thing I just cannot stomach about TLJ is that one of the major storyline's message was the goodness of blind obedience/trust to authority (even with the added bonus that if you try to flee, you will be shot).  To me that betrayed the whole point of the original saga.