THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

I hope we'll be getting a YouTube video of the theme within the next hour or two. Concert started more than 2 hours ago, so it has to be almost done ... :)

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Isn't there a Little Britain sketch about this?

Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune....

AHA! So that is what Martin Freeman was referencing in the Hobbit BTS!

I saw the movie last night.  I liked what I *assume* to be the new Williams theme, and mostly liked what I *assume* to be Powell's work ... with a few scenes very, very much excepted.  There are a few places where I flat-out hated what he was doing.

But rewatches may improve that; I rarely trust my initial impressions on music.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'd say The Adventures of Han is..... one part Poe's Theme, one part Rey's Theme, one part Hyperspace, and one part Escape...

Jay, is that "Escape", as in "ESCAPE/CHASE/GOODBYE (:pukeface:), or is it another "Escape", and, if so, which one?

Hmmm..what an interesting piece. It sounds more like a mix of several cues and definitely does not sound like a typical JW theme. I wonder if all this concert version is the same as the track on the OST. The main melody itself is nice and broadly heroic. 

Han's theme is fantastic. Thankfully, because, if the music is Powell is very good,

he did not really manage to capture the sound of SW. I saw the movie last night, and I can't wait for the CD!!!!

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wowsers! Love it. Nice to finally hear a version that isn't my average piano interpretation!

As I suspected, it sounds like the theme has existed forever, it has that effortless Williamsness about it.

27 minutes ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Would you say he did a better job than Giacchino in ROGUE ONE, or not?

Plenty of people will prefer the Giacchino score and plenty will prefer the Powell. The only difference is, those who prefer Gia will be wrong. :D

Seriously though, I don't know how anyone could consider Giacchino a better fit for Star Wars than Powell.

3 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

Plenty of people will prefer the Giacchino score and plenty will prefer the Powell. The only difference is, those who prefer Gia will be wrong. :D

Seriously though, I don't know how anyone could consider Giacchino a better fit for Star Wars than Powell.

Still, I'm waiting for the "Rogue One's score is better because Giacchino did it all himself! Powell's score is so wimpy he needed Williams to do a theme for him!" comments. That'll probably be the Filmtracks review.

27 minutes ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Would you say he did a better job than Giacchino in ROGUE ONE, or not?

I wait the CD for saying anything more. First impression : yes, but there is loud sound effects mix...

The music for the robots rebellion is fucking great ^^

The amount of little snippets from "The Battle of Crait" is...interesting. And the ostinato at 13 seconds comes straight out of The Post.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Well, we only have 23 hours to go until the album is for sale on New Zealand iTunes.

H-5

1 hour ago, Muldoon said:

By listening to the two scores, I'd imagine.

So, if you're a 'Giacchino fan' the only default is liking Rogue One? I like R1's score, but I can tell already that Solo will be superior!