THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

5 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I should photoshop the image to say "Han Solo Theme by Michael Giacchino" and then see how people really feel about the tune. ;)

This is something I have thought and I have mentioned many times.

I mean, how the name Williams affects someone's opinion and our opinions are not entirely objective to the music.

I love this piece.  It does sound like the proper concert version of Poe's theme that we never got, but it does have its own identity.   There is a bit of the "B" section of Tintin's The Adventure Continues in it, but they are both adventure pieces after all. 

1 minute ago, Alan said:

Just listening to it on CD. The Adventures of Han is fantastic!

How do you have the CD already!?

Amazon shipped my pre-order yesterday. I got the notification at 9am today to say it would be delivered today. At 11 it was here :D

1 minute ago, Alan said:

Amazon shipped my pre-order yesterday. I got the notification at 9am today to say it would be delivered today. At 11 it was here :D

Mine hasn't even dispatched yet!? What The?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I really don't hear anything great in this track. It doesn't work as a concert arrangement either. Disappointed.

Oh shut up, wubba lubba dub dub! It's not good sound quality! It's the best melody from JW since Hedwig's theme! 

OMFG! Just heard 'The Adventures of Han' for for the first time on iTunes (it's midnight here in Australia). This is the single most heroic piece JW has written since Superman. It's sure to be a concert showpiece for years to come. My God those trumpets!

Only minor criticism is that it's a bit derivative of Back to the Future.

The opening reminded me of Back To The Future, too!  And even almost like a news show theme too.

1 minute ago, Ricardo Mortimer said:

I need link for free download soundtrack. Thanks

Please read our forum rules before posting again

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20175-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

Specifically rules #7 and 8.

I have just listened to the album track and it's fantastic! It has that pure sense of adventure that Williams is able to bring. It's not a theme that is that memorable, in the sense that you probably need a few listens to be able to hum it, but I think that the Part B, the Searching Theme is even better that the main part. Anyway, I still have to watch the movie and listen to the album score, but I'm sure Powell's adaptations of the theme, as well as his original material are going to be awesome!

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I rather like it.  As TownerFan mentioned above, fantastic trumpet writing. The primary melody is also rather catchy.  

50 minutes ago, zoltan_902 said:

Only minor criticism is that it's a bit derivative of Back to the Future.

That bastard took my RPO job.  Now I am going to steal his theme (again--I already did it once for Amazing Stories). 

3 minutes ago, Ricardo Mortimer said:

Where is BTTF theme in SOLO soundtrack? :D

The opening of Adventures of Han is reminiscent of Back To The Future's main theme

1 minute ago, Tom said:

So, is this a spoiler for IX? 

I didn't mean the track literally contains those themes, just that the new material is reminiscent of those themes in parts.

17 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I rather like it.  As TownerFan mentioned above, fantastic trumpet writing. The primary melody is also rather catchy.  

I only listened to the track once and I could hear it all over the score proper. It's just instantly memorable and very noticeable throughout the complete score, with plenty of glorious, soaring renditions.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I like what Powell does with the theme much more than what Williams does in his arrangement

The track Meet Han is a fantastic arrangement of the Searching Theme. If the rest of the score is like that, it will be great!

Powell really took the trumpet writing in Williams' arrangement and didn't just run with it, he sprinted! The brass section gets one hell of a workout in this score.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Powell really took the trumpet writing in Williams' arrangement and didn't just run with it, he sprinted! The brass section gets one hell of a workout in this score.

I am guessing that the "one or two film cues" Williams wrote heavily featured the ostinato with trumpets.  Hence their place in the concert arrangement and the score.