THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

Yup Fal beat me too it.  The pickup ending to that cue, that you can hear in the film, has never been released.

Also, technically, the "Imperial March" concert arrangement material they tracked in instead of using "Aboard The Executor" is a different TAKE than what was used for the OST album concert arrangement track.  Ideally a future expanded release would contain a track called "Imperial March (Alternate)" that woudl have the film version take plus whatever other interesting material in other takes was found for the later part of the arrangement.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yup Fal beat me too it.  The pickup ending to that cue, that you can hear in the film, has never been released.

Also, technically, the "Imperial March" concert arrangement material they tracked in instead of using "Aboard The Executor" is a different TAKE than what was used for the OST album concert arrangement track.  Ideally a future expanded release would contain a track called "Imperial March (Alternate)" that woudl have the film version take plus whatever other interesting material in other takes was found for the later part of the arrangement.

The amount of people that say the imperial march from the soundtracks is the one used in the film! So glad someone else can hear the difference! 

Lukas Kendall did allude to the various Alternates in his FSM issue when the Arista set came out. 

2 hours ago, Amer said:

Lukas Kendall did allude to the various Alternates in his FSM issue when the Arista set came out. 

'Alternates'.... There's more than one! I NEED THEM ALL! 

39 minutes ago, Ricard said:

This is from the John Powell score thread:

Yes, she's his wife. Who is the third person?...JW does not drive the car himself? I understand when he comes to the premiere has a driver...but when he goes to the supermarket? :D

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A classy guy like JW surely has a butler.

Oh it remembers me that my maid has dropped me off while I was on vacation. Not so worried, she only spoke portuguese... it was complicated to communicate only by Messenger using Reverso. :D

1 minute ago, Darth Wanker said:

I'm curious what his wife thinks about Daisy when JW likes her.

I don't think she cares, and I don't think John actually thinks about Daisy much at all. It is a funny story with a hook for the concert audience to latch onto--nothing more. 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I don't think she cares, and I don't think John actually thinks about Daisy much at all. It is a funny story with a hook for the concert audience to latch onto--nothing more. 

Yeah, but she's still the reason why he wants to do music for Star Wars or not? 

23 minutes ago, Darth Wanker said:

Yeah, but she's still the reason why he wants to do music for Star Wars or not? 

He did not choose to score VIII ( or IX) due to Daisy.  That would be absurd.  It is a funny story that the audience will laugh at.  He is being an entertainer and should not be taken literally with these things. 

He is highly protective of his SW legacy and he probably still enjoys composing for the films.  That is why he chose to score them. 

It’s apparent Ridley inspired Williams to write such a great theme for her character. 

I dont think the actors for Sophie and Rose gave him the same inspiration.

From Jason Ward’s review:

The score of Solo by John Powell was solid too. When Williams retires, John Powell could handle the work. Michael Giacchino’s work on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is nothing to shake a stick at and he didn’t get that much time to work on that score. Powell’s music feels tight and plays to the dynamics of the film more than adequately. I do have to confess that on one viewing, I didn’t really notice the young Han theme John Williams contributed to the soundtrack. It just didn’t stand out to me and I’m sure after I’ve seen the film a bajillion times I’ll wonder how I could have been so stupid as to not notice it but I didn’t. Not on my first viewing. On my first viewing I experienced the soundtrack, I didn’t listen to it and I will buy this one for sure. On a musical side note, the eccentric singers in Dreyden’s HQ got one of the biggest laughs in the movie.’

https://makingstarwars.net/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-story-reviewed-by-jason-ward-spoiler-free/

Posting the clip with the orchestrated "searching" theme again just for anyone who's missed it, since I'm seeing the videos that were posted on the other page are blocked/taken down. This one should stick since it's an official Tonight Show clip, but not sure if it's available outside the US.

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Doug Adams would argue there are actually 7 new themes composed by Williams for Solo.

:lol:

But, seriously, would he?

There's not a single melody line in the Middle Earth scores that Doug analysed as two separate leitmotivic entities: not even the Shire theme, whose B-phrase often appears isolated from the main section, and which evokes a completely different image of the Shire.

Really, the closest would be Bilbo's theme, with the "Tookish side" section, but even there we got this (appropriately) muddled language of "one-and-a-half" themes. In fact, at one point he activelly denied, to illustrate my point, that the introduction figure to The History of the One Ring is a separate leitmotivic identity:

Its really just a little build up into the History of the Ring theme, no greater dramatic significance than that. A transitional passage. But you're absolutely right that it's the same bar and half or so in each instance.

And the important thing to point out here is that Adams knew Shore's authorial intent. We, too, know Williams'. its in the title: "Han's Theme." That really should seal the deal, as it were. But admittedly its also a matter of perspective to some degree.

Yes, it's a theme comprised of two subjects. It's likely JW wanted to explore more than just one "feeling".

Btw, Ford Thaxton wrote this on the FSM board:

Williams went back in last month to record the concert arrangement he had done of the theme, he did it quite quickly I'm told by one of the session players who called for the session.

So what will be on the CD isn't the original demo recording, but a new one made purposefully for the OST album.

Williams went back in last month to record the concert arrangement he had done of the theme, he did it quite quickly I'm told by one of the session players who called for the session.

Well, it's only a couple of minutes long.

Now that we have (kind of) heard the two parts to Han's theme, is there any similarity to the reworked first half of Han Solo and the Princess? I am not good at detecting such things, but I would not be surprised if Williams worked it in somehow. 

The Han theme seems to be an adventurous pirate-ry melody for his young, scoundrel/rogue days

The reworked Han & Princess concert arrangement is like an elegy that works as Leia in post-TFA time reflecting on Han's death, as well as Williams reflecting on Fisher's death.  I doubt there'd be a reason to relate the two.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I doubt there'd be a reason to relate the two.

There is none, expect in the eyes in those who attribute "Han Solo and the Princess" to the character of (Ford's) Han Solo.

Where did it come from again?  Was it Score the Podcast's Twitter?  They obviously deleted it fairly quickly because I checked last night and didn't see that tweet from them.