THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

Han was also shown with a woman during the Cantina sequence in a deleted shot. I don't know if a love theme would be appropriate for a womanizer, though.

image.png

8 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

The thing that intrigues me the most about this particular theme is that what the hell will it end up sounding like? Major, minor? It can't be something like the Raiders march and I can't picture it sounding like any of JW's previous cowboy themes. Something like The Adventures of Mutt is out of the question, as Tintin's motif... So what the hell can it even sound like? 

The closer thing that I can picture is something similar to Poe's theme, but we already have that...

Gah! Hopefully so much speculation won't end up being a dissapointment. 

I'm guessing it will sound somewhat heroic.  I guess it depends on how's he portrayed in the film... a goofball, scoundrel, hero?

1 minute ago, Ludwig said:

Just take an old adventure theme, warp it into a minor key, and you get the heroic scoundrel:

Someone should totally take a theme from SW related to Han and do that! x) 

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

Just take an old adventure theme, warp it into a minor key, and you get the heroic scoundrel:

and put it in retrogrades, and invert it! No-one will know.;):lol:

Poe’s Theme is the most heroic-sounding music the Maestro has written in years, and it’s arguably the greatest hooky earworm in TFA (with the possible exception of Kylo’s evil fanfare, which is much shorter and simpler than Poe’s). I find it so thrilling and uplifting that I’m actually shocked to learn it’s in a minor key. If JW serves up something in that vein for Han, I’ll be over the moon. 

Any chance we’ll get a pre-release concert premiere in Chicago in April? It’d be a great PR move, Disney! Screen Rant would publish three clickbaity articles about the new theme before the Maestro put his baton down on Friday night. 

10 hours ago, igger6 said:

Poe’s Theme is the most heroic-sounding music the Maestro has written in years, and it’s arguably the greatest hooky earworm in TFA.

It's really more of an all-purpose motif and it certainly can't hold a candle to Rey's Theme. It is the closest JW ever got to recent blockbuster writing in terms of reduction.

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, it's for all heroic purposes of that single character. :)

Btw, why are some of the JWFan emoticons pixelated on my phone (Android)? Like this: :eh:

It's pixelated on my computer too...

31 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Both :) and :eh: are pixelated on my computer, but on my Android phone, :) is not.

Oh, for me :) isn't pixelated on my computer but :eh: is. 

Same goes for my iPhone

I'm sure if he wrote concert versions he'd expand theme with "b" sections and stuff

Rose's theme has some sort of B section we hear in Rebellion is Reborn, though not fully developped

Poe's theme has some sort of extension we only hear in The Resistance" in TFA

Poe's theme is technically a motif, like Kylo's two are. When I think of Theme, I think Leia, Imperial March, Rey, etc. A theme to me has to have more than a simple statement. It's like it's own story which has a beginning, middle section and end.

13 hours ago, igger6 said:

One of those all-purpose motifs that only appears when a single character does something heroic? :D

All-purpose in the sense that it's not exactly very distinctive.

I think there's a sort of "Quasimodo" category for half-formed themes.  Some themes don't have as many sections as Rey's or the Imperial March, but they still aren't mere phrases like either one of Kylo's.  I'd say Sophie and Poe both fall into that category.  They don't have stanzas like the big ones, but they definitely have multiple lines.

So, is this already done?  If the interview was done a couple weeks before the publication, it has to be soon, particularly with his conducting binge coming up soon.  Do we think he will conduct and record the piece, or just turn over the score to Powell?  

Well.  This news broke while I was on vacation and not checking JWFan much.  Just caught up on all 8 pages now.

I am of course curious to hear Williams' theme, and was already curious to hear Powell's score.

What I find most curious above everything, though, is that this film is opening in JUST OVER FOUR MONTHS from now, and there has been no hype for it.  No teasers, no trailers, no posters, no nothing.  I wonder how post-production is even going, how close to final the cut of the film Powell is writing music for is?

I wonder if the film has internally been decided to be delayed to December like all other Disney SW movies and they haven't announced it yet.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

What I find most curious above everything, though, is that this film is opening in JUST OVER FOUR MONTHS from now, and there has been no hype for it.  No teasers, no trailers, no posters, no nothing.  I wonder how post-production is even going, how close to final the cut of the film Powell is writing music for is?

I wonder if the film has internally been decided to be delayed to December like all other Disney SW movies and they haven't announced it yet.

According to the news from dragon53's daily posts at FSM, they're still doing reshoots and will be until February.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=124465&forumID=7&archive=0

I don't see how this movie will be out by May.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Maybe they're letting TLJ shine before starting marketing the Solo film.

If Solo was coming out in December, I'd agree with you.  But its opening wide in four months!

1 minute ago, Matt S. said:

According to the news from dragon53's daily posts at FSM, they're still doing reshoots and will be until February.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=124465&forumID=7&archive=0

I don't see how this movie will be out by May.

Seems unlikely doesn't it?

<Soapbox time>

It’s a shame the one character who should have a great stand alone film, may end up going down in flames at the box office / having a crappy film.

He is the back bone of the films and his presence was missed in TLJ. While Han Solo wasn’t in the Prequels, they needed a presence like his character. The everyday man caught in the middle. Looking at the various articles and videos across the web, his first appearance in TFA awakens got more of a reaction every time compared to Luke and Leia. C3PO’s first appearance had a bigger audience reaction than they did. Even all the showings I went to, he got a reaction that completely overshadowed the rest.

Granted Harrison Ford’s stature had a lot to do with it but Solo’s the man.

<Step down from Soapbox>

It think that also has something to do with the nostalgic way Han Solo was introduced in TFA. Han Solo and Chewie suddenly enter the Falcon, when we were expecting stormtroopers instead, while Han says Chewie, we're home. Who can resist loving such a scene?

Disney's already got their new Mary Poppins scheduled for their eat-everyone-else's-lunch spot in December.  So if Solo moves, that will have to move, too.

Personally, I think that's exactly what they should do.  Even if Solo opens well, it's going to get annihilated when Deadpool 2 comes out the next week.

It's a possibility, for sure.  But they'd move Deadpool someplace else entirely -- they'd want to give it more cushion from Infinity War.  I'd slap Deadpool down in early September, when nothing else much is going on.  It's going to make a killing regardless of where it lands.

I kind of hope Williams decides he'd like to score the entirety of Solo, and that gets used as a reason to push the movie to December.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Maybe they're letting TLJ shine before starting marketing the Solo film.

Sounds like it:

(he was referring to a question about when the trailer would hit)

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It think that also has something to do with the nostalgic way Han Solo was introduced in TFA. Han Solo and Chewie suddenly enter the Falcon, when we were expecting stormtroopers instead, while Han says Chewie, we're home. Who can resist loving such a scene?

I will say the Falcons first appearance also got a louder ovation than Luke and Leia.

13 hours ago, Will said:

Sounds like it:

(he was referring to a question about when the trailer would hit)

And yet apparently they are doing more reshoots - again.

This film is in behind-the-scenes trouble, has been from the start. Which just makes me all the more intrigued as to how it'll end up...

Even if there are more reshoots it is possible there will still be a trailer soon. It just could end up like Rogue One, in which there is a bit of a divergence between trailer and film...

The film has already received quite a lot of potshots from media and fans after all the behind-the-scenes woes, so damage control is the first priority now. They surely cannot put out even a short teaser without being sure of delivering some kind of excitement on which they will build hype. Perhaps this time they will benefit more from a compressed marketing campaign.

Locking JW to write the main theme is surely a plus from this person's point of view :)

Yeah the stakes are very high with this trailer. If it fails to get people excited, I think Kathleen Kennedy is going to start getting very nervous. Star Wars is not impervious to fan backlash. TLJ may be doing very nicely in box office but even beyond the infamous Rotten Tomatoes rating, a cursory glance at YouTube shows me that the backlash is furious, real and growing. Solo needs to change that narrative before it bubbles to the surface.

And since no one ever asked for a Han Solo movie, that's a tall order indeed.

I don't have high hopes for this film, but it should be said that production woes aren't necessarily going to create an inferior product. Adversity has been known to help create better films, because it pushes the filmmaker further and necessitates creative solutions.

The Last Jedi seemed like a perfect production: everything wrapped up in time, they practically had the finished film "in the can" for a couple of weeks. Did it make it perfect? hell no.

My issue with this film is that Rogue One at least fit into the narrative thrust of the series: its nestled very nicely between Episode III and the original Star Wars, and ties into the plot of both of them. Whereas Solo, other than being about Han Solo, seemingly has little to do with the galactic struggle that underlines the entire series.