New Jerry Goldsmith Projects in 2018?

Brundlefly

This thread is supposed to gather information and hints of upcoming Jerry Goldsmith titles in 2018. This year it seems more obvious what we will get. There were a few assumptions and predictions at the FSM forum which sound pretty reasonable:

Releases that already happened:

- Rambo III re-release by Intrada

- Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend re-release by Intrada

- 100 Rifles re-release by La-La Land

- Small Soldiers expansion by Varese Sarabande

- The Mummy expansion by Intrada

- The Lonely Guy expansion and CD premiere by Intrada

- The Reincarnation of Peter Proud premiere release by Intrada

Already hinted at releases:

- The Swarm (La-La Land)

- Innerspace (La-La Land)

Very probables releases:

- Mulan (This year is the 20th anniversary of this score and either Intrada or Disney is very probable to expand it sooner or later.)

- The Last Castle (The latest Jerry Goldsmith score, not owned by Varese, which is very likely to be expanded by Intrada or Quartet.)

- Leviathan (It was recently revealed that this score is not in Varese's territory and as the score has been recorded in Italy, Quartet is the most probable label to expand it.)

- Supergirl (If it is not owned by Silva, this is very likely to get the same treatment like The Swarm.)

Probable Varese releases:

- The Final Conflict (In case they are interested in completing the Omen-trilogy, this will happen soon.)

- Air Force One (Varese seems to focus on expansions of scores whose initial releases where way too short, so this should be next.)

- U.S. Marshals (The same reason here, besides this is also another 90s action score of which Varese has already expanded a few.)

Releases that will probably not happen:

- several pre-80s scores that seem to be lost

- The Secret of NIMH (apparently lost)

- Under Fire (apparently lost)

- Legend (apparently lost)

- Link (apparently lost)

What do YOU think?

Well I'm the one who was making the primary "assumptions and predictions at the FSM forum" in response to your thread, but just to clarify: 100 Rifles and The Swarm are not at all officially "announced" -- LLL has hinted/winked once or twice about them.

When we go pre-80s (or even pre-90s: see Link, Legend, NIMH, Under Fire) it's just harder to predict what might survive or not. Has a complete MacArthur or Lonely Guy not happened yet because Universal Pictures is slower on licensing things and Intrada hasn't considered these as high a priority as other titles, but will eventually get to them? Or have tapes been lost? One of them could come out as a total surprise, or maybe something like The Don Is Dead! It's just harder to predict.

Yavar

Now that Disney is buying Fox, I suspect the labels will spend the next 18 months prioritizing Fox scores before some other studios' scores before Disney takes over Fox's catalog and it becomes harder to work on those titles.  So I'd predict whatever films Goldsmith scored for Fox will be the ones most likely to be worked on next

Well there's not very much Goldsmith at Fox left, because Fox has been accessible to the specialty labels longest of all the studios. What's left is probably just problematic titles or ones they don't think have much for sales potential. But here's hopin' this lights a candle under their butts to do S*P*Y*S complete. :) Seriously though...I enjoy that zany score a lot, and if there's any chance John Scott saved a copy of his own score for the film, it would make a cool twofer.

The Chairman would be the biggie to expand, but there seem to be elements issues. Only the album program has apparently survived in stereo...and even for that the tapes themselves were lost and all CD issues have just been cleaned up LP rips -- with the exception of the Varese Goldsmith at Fox box suite, which was in mono from tapes but only included one previously unreleased cue totaling less than a minute in length.

Take Her, She's Mine was reported as lost in the Varese box liner notes. Now we've seen superior new technology help to salvage other Fox scores (and sometimes salvage more of ones that came out partially in the past like Friedhofer's Rains of Ranchipur or Goldsmith's Fate Is the Hunter). So maybe there's a chance for that to come out from Kritzerland or Quartet...someone who would take a chance releasing a lightweight comedy score just because it has Goldsmith's name on it. But probably still lost in all likelihood.

That for me leaves complete releases for two TV projects perhaps most likely to be spurred by this development: the TV movie A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (only a half hour score, albeit a lovely intimate one, and Varese released half of it in their box) and the short-lived Anna and the King show, which Goldsmith scored three episodes of and which must surely contain more original music by him.

Yavar

A label could also re-visit a Fox title that has already been expanded before if better elements have been found or better technology can make the same elements sound better.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

A label could also re-visit a Fox title that has already been expanded before if better elements have been found or better technology can make the same elements sound better.

Obviously. That's exactly what LLL is doing with 100 Rifles, which they've already done with other Goldsmith westerns.

Yavar

That's a Jerry score I've never heard before!  I decided not to track down an old CD release because I figure a better version will come along eventually.  I've heard lots of good things about it, and look forward to finally owning it!

The only bit I know from The Swarm is on the old Prague compilation, so I'm eagerly awaiting that release.

Also, what about A Patch of Blue? There's another one I don't know, except for the theme. When mentioned, it's always praised very highly, but it hasn't seen a new release since I became aware of it around 2000.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's a Jerry score I've never heard before!  I decided not to track down an old CD release because I figure a better version will come along eventually.  I've heard lots of good things about it, and look forward to finally owning it!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The only bit I know from The Swarm is on the old Prague compilation, so I'm eagerly awaiting that release.

Geez, guys! I've owned THE SWARM in one form or another, ever since I saw the film, in 1978.

It really is a must for any discerning JG fan.

The two rerecorded tracks that I know of (THE BEES ARRIVE, and END TITLE) are played brilliantly, by the COP.

Tbh, there's not much unreleased stuff, just a few cues featuring (I think) a Jew's harp, but a remix/remaster would be most welcome.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Exactly!

But I have the same problem with Lionheart and Leviathan, because they are so expensive nowadays and not at all definitive! I can wait for the latter, but not for the former!

I am also patiently waiting for Lionheart and Leviathan, as I also own no version of those currently.

The fact that Varese released Runaway no less than three times (the last two of them in complete form) is a pretty good argument that eventually they'll get around to tackling *all* of the Goldsmith scores they control. :)

Man I really hope they get a move on...

Yavar

Off the top of my head I can't even think of any other Deluxe Edition that got an Encore release, Goldsmith or not. The Encore series is still fairly young and doesn't have all that many titles in it.

I do hope Varese encores their DE of The Burbs for those who missed it though...such an awesome score and it plays great in complete form. Of course I'd prefer they continue to make DEs of other Goldsmith scores that haven't received one yet.

Yavar

On 04/01/2018 at 12:02 AM, Brundlefly said:

Exactly!

But I have the same problem with Lionheart and Leviathan, because they are so expensive nowadays and not at all definitive! I can wait for the latter, but not for the former!

I have been agonising over LEVIATHAN  reissue for years now. There are numerous not so expensive copies floating around but not sure if I want to take the bait for it. Lets hope this comes out either from Quartet or Intrada (if not Varese)

Also SUPERGIRL is another mystery as to why a new remaster with the complete score (and numerous alternates as on the Varese cd) is not yet out. Both The Silva and Varese albums are loooong OOP. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm 95% sure that Mulan will come out this year. With Intrada starting with a Disney release this year and the Legacy Collection being continued it is a must-be-expanded considering its 20th anniversary!

The Mulan would be very exciting. I'd also be happy about Small Soldiers! I bloody love that score. I've been on a serious Jerry binge lately and this thread is really just reminding me of some of the scores I haven't gotten around to listening to (and some I need to get straight to re-listening to!).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's Intrada's territory, the licences should be easy to get, it's a popular score, the original sources cannot be lost - every anonymous release is potentially "The Mummy".

• 2 months later...

Still, no Mummy. I'm really wondering why it takes so long for this one to be expanded. :stick:

But if we take a closer look at the oldest titles of the Intrada Special Collection...

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

...and consider what the special labels have been doing for the last couple of years...

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.jpegimage.pngimage.png

...it becomes quite obvious that a reissue of The Boys from Brazil is quite probable.

I mean...nobody really knew there was a problem with the earlier Intrada issue of Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend, and look what we just got. Also, there was actually no issue with the sound quality on One Little Indian and that still got reissued with the same master. As a happy owner of Boys from Brazil already, I can say I'm *really* ready for a significant Goldsmith expansion already! Lonely Guy would be really fantastic in particular...

Yavar

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Is there a problem with the sound quality on the earlier Intrada edition?

My current CD is a little bit damaged (second hand) and it would be cool if they excluded the (bad sounding) film version of the song from the main program. A remaster is not needed.

And I don't have it yet, but I urgently need the complete score of this score, so a reissue would be more than welcome.

22 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

image.jpeg

Where is that cover from?!

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't think Jerry Goldsmith will score any movies in 2018.

This joke has already been made.

On 3.1.2018 at 4:20 PM, mstrox said:

I don't think Jerry is taking on new projects in 2018.