New Jerry Goldsmith Projects in 2018?

Brundlefly

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The best cue with that title is on the Lady Jane soundtrack by Stephen Oliver.

No, JS, you are absolutely (and not to mention, definitively) wrong, on that one. The best cue with that title, is on THE FINAL CONFLICT. No contest. End of.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:28 AM, Brundlefly said:

But a few score have proven to be good sellers for decades like Alien which is luckily not limited. The Blue Max was always released just as a limited edition and as a result it has already had thousands of complete score releases that are now all OOP. The "while interest remains"-availability by Intrada is a great concept.

All releases are limited. It’s in the contract that the label is allowed to press x amount of copies. It’s up to the label to manage their business and only press up to what they think they will sell. The only thing Intrada stopped doing was telling us the numbers. FSM notoriously sold more than what they said their scores were originally limited to, because the demand was still there. I think they sold something like 7,500 copies of Kelly’s Heroes, which is ‘limited’ to 3,000. 

• 1 month later...

I just listened to The Boys from Brazil. One of the absolutely best scores of the seventies. Especially technically one of Goldsmith's best efforts. But considering that the sound quality could be clearer and it has been sold out for a long time now, I hope the score gets the Capricorn One-treatment. That one sounds much better on the 2015 Intrada release than on the 2004 release. It would also be a good idea to take the source music "We're Home Again" out of the main program.

BoysfromBrazilreissue.jpg

I wouldn't recommend nobody to purchase the current Intrada release from the second hand market.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Waxwork Records has reissued The 'Burbs on LP; hard to tell if the film versions of certain cues have been included this time around

Nope, exact same program as the 2007 Deluxe Edition. It raises the question, whether Varese holds the perpetuity rights at all. If not, that would increase the chances of a reissue, for those who are waiting for a re-release (!!!on CD!!!).

I mean, who knows? But I suspect if Varese didn’t own perpetuity rights on The ‘Burbs, LLL or Intrada would have reissued it by now. It’s been OOP and fetching high prices for a while now.

You should update your first post with Peter Proud BTW — pretty great finish to the year for Goldsmith fans, as we haven’t had a premiere release for almost half a decade!

Yavar

Wasn't Damnation Alley a premiere release? I thought it never had an album? Or are you counting that old Goldsmith box?

I'm surprised we didn't get a 50th anniversary reissue of Planet of the Apes this year.

Karol

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean, who knows? But I suspect if Varese didn’t own perpetuity rights on The ‘Burbs, LLL or Intrada would have reissued it by now. It’s been OOP and fetching high prices for a while now.

It really is a shame that The 'Burbs has just 5,500 copies being out there (2,500 OSTs and 3,000 Deluxe Editions). No wonder that just a few people know it and appreciate it enough. It's one of my most often played scores. As Lionheart, a masterpiece that desperately needs a CD release that makes it accessible for everyone.

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You should update your first post with Peter Proud BTW — pretty great finish to the year for Goldsmith fans, as we haven’t had a premiere release for almost half a decade!

Updated!

Don't you mean "for almost half a year"?

Well, in recent years (which are the years in which I became a Goldsmith fan) that accessibility has gradually faded away. I'm a CD-only-person and don't use any online services like for example Spotify, so as far as Lionheart goes... I'm fucked.

17 hours ago, crocodile said:

Wasn't Damnation Alley a premiere release? I thought it never had an album? Or are you counting that old Goldsmith box?

I'm surprised we didn't get a 50th anniversary reissue of Planet of the Apes this year.

That would have been nice. Now I worry it will never get a new edition. It’s frustrating that the Intrada album sounds much better but is missing so much of the music (at least they did add The Hunt!)

I am indeed counting the 1,500 copy Goldsmith at Fox box for Damnation Alley, because it contained almost two thirds of the score. It was an official licensed release, after all. I also count S*P*Y*S, Anna and the King, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn as having been (partially) released, even though they’re currently exclusive to that Varese set as well.

Yavar

8 hours ago, publicist said:

Now make it happen. Next to Shamus it's the last missing of Goldsmith's bigger feature movie scores.

I personally prefer his two early western feature scores, but I’ll certainly keep my fingers crossed for The Don Is Dead and Shamus (even more)...and Pursuit...and Crawlspace...and The Man...and Indict & Convict. Lotta good TV feature scores still to release!

But most of all I want expansions of scores I already own and love (and if tapes can’t be found, then a full new recording): The Chairman, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Other, Medicine Man, Looney Tunes, Matinee, Our Man Flint, The Final Conflict, Mom and Dad Save the World, Love Field, Anna and the King...and, um...SPYS. :D 

Yavar