Which is the better scored movie? Philosopher's Stone or Phantom Menace?

Josh500

Which is the better scored movie? Philosopher's Stone or Phantom Menace?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better scored movie? Phantom Menace or Philosopher's Stone?

• Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
    • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

10 hours ago, Oswin Pond said:

Well the phantom menace is definitly a better movie and the score is obviously better than in harry potter

What alternate reality do you live in where Phantom Menace is better than Philosopher's Stone?

24 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think his Beowulf is fantastic.

I think all three of his mo-cap animated films would work fine enough in live-action or just traditional animation (I actually quite enjoy A Christmas Carol for example). It's the uncanny valley effect that I find a bit off-putting. 

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think all three of his mo-cap animated films would work fine enough in live-action or just traditional animation (I actually quite enjoy A Christmas Carol for example). It's the uncanny valley effect that I find a bit off-putting. 

That's the one detrmiment but otherwise Beowulf is exceedingly well done.

25 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

That's the one detrmiment but otherwise Beowulf is exceedingly well done.

It's pretty good. I saw it in the cinemas too. The climax and Grendel are really well-done, and it definitely has the feel of an epic. 

3 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

What alternate reality do you live in where Phantom Menace is better than Philosopher's Stone?

Wow how dare she has a different opinion than me ! She must live in a alternate reality !!!!

If we wanted a female-opinion we'd tell what to say. ;)

You almost can hear Stuart on Big Bang telling the guys he will get the hose

Philosopher's Stone is a better constructed movie in a technical artistic sense, but it is also an imperfect adaptation of a better book. Phantom Menace is the original, not based on superior source material (unless you count the OT, but that is not the same story in the way of HP). It has a lot of wild and amazing ideas, images, places, characters, in it (Darth Maul for God's sake!). Phantom Menace is more of a mess, absolutely, but it is also more creative because it is the origin of the creativity. It was also a massive technical achievement at the time, albeit rapidly dated. 

Just my female opinions! 

On 04/01/2018 at 7:45 PM, JohnSolo said:

Lol, I never said that you couldn't have a differing opinion. It's just that TPM is objectively the inferior film, on pretty much every level of filmmaking. And that's a fact.

Objectivity in art... haha

Go tell that to Van gogh. Oh wait. He killed himself because both the art experts and the public considered his painting were objectively bad... If experts say they are it must be true then.

27 minutes ago, Oswin Pond said:

Go tell that to Van gogh. Oh wait. He killed himself because both the art experts and the public considered his painting were objectively bad... If experts say they are it must be true then.

Ah I didn't know you made a profile! Welcome to the forums! :D

20 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

You're comparing apples and oranges. Art is “good” or “bad” only in a subjective sense; there is no objective measure by which to judge the merits of a work of art. There is when it comes to film, however. Film, in a sense, is art, but it has to have, at the very least, the slightest sense of competence and coherence for it to be considered adept or objectively "good".

I hope you were severely drunk when you came up with this beauty.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

I hope you were severely drunk when you came up with this beauty.

It would be preferred if you could come up with an opposing argument against my view, instead of immediately resorting to throwing insults like a child.

I have to go with Potter even if I'm not exactly a biggest fan of it. It's basically an overscored film to compensate for the lack of imagination on screen. But it does create a cohesive musical world, no matter how derivative, and well presented one as well. But, other than Hedwig's theme, there is virtually nothing new from Williams.

TPM was a box of treats when it first came out. I liked how new and colourful it sounded. But it gets worse with each year. There's no storytelling involved here, just a collection of miniature pieces with no direction or consequence.

Karol

9 hours ago, Oswin Pond said:

Well, for starters, I wish Lucas indeed had killed himself. So, there's that.

But maybe he did, in fact, cut off his ears, that would explain the sound editing.

Art is self-expression in order to please yourself. Movies like Star Wars and Harry Potter are created to please the public, who wants such films, and whose money the studio wants.

An artist listening to critics is doomed.

A filmmaker better listens to what people want, or he'll create something that will see himself out the door.

Filmmakers of big films are dependent on the public, artists are not. Filmmaking is also to a very large degree a thing of craftsmanship, while pure art doesn't necessarily need it, as it's made painfully obvious time and time again.

4 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

It would be preferred if you could come up with an opposing argument against my view, instead of immediately resorting to throwing insults like a child.

Sorry, even within the innocuous confines of this thread i would find that embarrassing. If you enter the lofty arena of waging art, culture and film assessment you can be expected to come up with an argument that at least reads compelling - to state there is no objective measure for great and not so great art (fair) while in the same sentence make an exception for movies because these - really - require "competence and coherence" (wut?) is just too twee for words. 

Of course you can rate, measure and frame every piece of art to any specific criteria you elect to do so, mainly by looking at the history of the artform, as it is the easiest yardstick. Competence and coherence are qualities that you may wish to find in this artform but these are hardly essential for a masterpiece of art, even more, the absence of them can make a work of art as well. Though all these discussions that have engaged many brilliant heads over the years certainly are squandered on either Harry Potter or The Phantom Menace, though at least you can give TPM props for trying, if only in technical categories.

6 hours ago, Oswin Pond said:

How to discredit yourself (and most of the prequels haters) in one sentence.

If you want to disqualify yourself for any kind of internet discussion, just refer to the person making a valid statement, which you're lost arguing against, as a "hater".

Just for future help in discussion, which is over now, by the way.

If you're not a woman, then you certainly display the behavior of a spoiled princess whose ability of discussion stagnated somewhere around the age of 13 because she found out it's easier to be bitchy and get your way, instead of trying to understand what she's talking about.

Damn first you want the death of other people because they didn't make movies the way you like it now you are sexist (and not joking unlike JoeinAR)

But I just remember you were the one judging us because we loved Williams's work so much we wanted The Last Jedi score before it comes out (Which is quite ironic since you think people who make movies you don't like should die)

So I'm not surprised !

@JohnSolo people are allowed to hold their own opinions, one moving being better than another is an opinion, not a fact.  Don't belittle others for holding opinions different than their own

@gkgyver WTF man?  Stop insulting other board member's personally, its against the rules.  Your posts have indeed been quite toxic lately, you need to chill out!

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

@JohnSolo people are allowed to hold their own opinions, one moving being better than another is an opinion, not a fact.  Don't belittle others for holding opinions different than their own

I never "belittled" anyone for their opinion. In fact, I made that quite clear here:

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, JohnSolo said:

I never said that you couldn't have a differing opinion.

To say that I "belittled" anyone is hyperbole in the extreme.

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

@gkgyver WTF man?  Stop insulting other board member's personally, its against the rules.  Your posts have indeed been quite toxic lately, you need to chill out!

LOL sure

It's not my posts that are toxic, it's the cult-like environment that reads them.

Rename this part of the Forum JWShrine.

I think PS is the better movie (by far!), but TPM boasts the better score (only slightly, since obviously PS is also a kickass score).

That's because, on the whole, TPM the score strikes me as overall the more listenable, creative, and exciting.