Who is able to compose music for Avatar 2

Darth Mulder

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

He is the best composer for fantasy films that there is and has ever been.

Definitely one of the best!

I'm really glad they got him to do Fantastic Beasts. Finally a worthy follow-up of Williams, without being a copy. :D

5 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Definitely one of the best!

I'm really glad they got him to do Fantastic Beasts. Finally a worthy follow-up of Williams, without being a copy. :D

Yeah, much better than the scores to HP Ep. 4 - 7.

JNH is not the best a writing memorable themes, though.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He's brilliant at memorable themes. It's just the film makers tend to butcher them. His main theme for Fantastic Beasts is very memorable, but the director burried it in the film.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

I made a very rough example of JNH's music paired with a scene from Avatar. 

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akz-9hNbLAnnhiyBV9g3vuSVOKlM 

yes his work could indeed fit very well. And the guy does have ressources, when you see he composed king kong in 5 weeks..

Is the impending Avatar franchise a goldmine of music from all these composers you're listing? Admittedly we don't really know. The first score is fairly pedestrian Horner and if the sequel scores are anything like it, I'll be taking the first available boat off this ship.

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I can't see it happening unfortunately. If Tokyo Ghoul is the highest profile thing he's done in a decade, Cameron isn't going to call him.

He worked on Titanic though so Cameron may be familiar with him. I think he'd be a good choice!

I find JNH kind of bland.

25 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Is the impending Avatar franchise a goldmine of music from all these composers you're listing? Admittedly we don't really know. The first score is fairly pedestrian Horner and if the sequel scores are anything like it, I'll be taking the first available boat off this ship.

Will the lifeboats be seated according to class? Well I hope they're not too crowded.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I can remember a whole lot of his themes.

But some people say Desplat writes memorable themes too and I have difficulty with those, for some reason.

It never ceases to amaze me how much "memorability" can differ from person to person.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

If I genuinely had the choice, I'd choose David Arnold because it's not like JNH and Powell are on a career dip, but Arnold deserves to share in these big projects. He's an entirely underused talent.

Yes, indeed! Give Arnold something to do! Something good! :D

1 hour ago, Philippe Roaché said:

I'll be taking the first available boat off this ship.

Generally speaking, a ship is a safer place to be than a lifeboat.

Unless the ship is marked for death. Then it's a different story... :P

43 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I can remember a whole lot of his themes.

But some people say Desplat writes memorable themes too and I have difficulty with those, for some reason.

It never ceases to amaze me how much "memorability" can differ from person to person.

I don't count the themes which are memorable because they're annoying.

:P

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The score to Waterworld is indeed grand, but as a whole I don't find it that impressive. It has its great moments but also a significant share of less interesting music. In my opinion, Signs is a score with an overall higher quality, although not as grand as Waterworld.

Well, we have a bit of a different relationship to WATERWORLD. It's not only my favourite JNH, but in my top 10 favourite soundtracks of all time. I have an extremely personal connection to that score. But the point was to showcase a particular aspect of his music (not the grand orchestral stuff) that could fit in perfectly with the more magical parts of AVATAR, in particular.

3 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Wrong.

Sorry mr man. You is wrong

You should run-along and play now fly fly fly. 

Not at all. You are wrong Avatar is a 5 star score.

Here let me help you out!

*5 Avatar

Somerimes it helps to let wrong/slow people understand if you show them visually. ;)

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, we have a bit of a different relationship to WATERWORLD. It's not only my favourite JNH, but in my top 10 favourite soundtracks of all time. I have an extremely personal connection to that score. But the point was to showcase a particular aspect of his music (not the grand orchestral stuff) that could fit in perfectly with the more magical parts of AVATAR, in particular.

I respect your opinion. Waterworld is anyway better than most scores nowadays. :) I guess Jurassic Park is my Waterworld when it comes to personal connection.

So, what do you think about the extended release of Waterworld?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I respect your opinion. Waterworld is anyway better than most scores nowadays. :) I guess Jurassic Park is my Waterworld when it comes to personal connection.

So, what do you think about the extended release of Waterworld?

Oh, don't get me wrong. JURASSIC PARK is my JURASSIC PARK too. My alltime favourite. But WATERWORLD is up there.

As for the extended version, I had actually forgotten one existed! :D

Simon Franglen was a key programmer on Avatar, finished the Disney theme park music after Horner died, and finished The Magnificent Seven using Horner's thematic suite. I'd be surprised if Cameron hasn't offered him the gig.

11 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Simon Franglen was a key programmer on Avatar, finished the Disney theme park music after Horner died, and finished The Magnificent Seven using Horner's thematic suite. I'd be surprised if Cameron hasn't offered him the gig.

I would bet anything that's exactly what's going to happen. Franglen was responsible for most of the otherworldly / electronic and percussive sounds in that 5-star score. 

That Avatar OST didn't do the score many favors. As a complete score....5 stars indeed. :)

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Oh, don't get me wrong. JURASSIC PARK is my JURASSIC PARK too. My alltime favourite. But WATERWORLD is up there.

As for the extended version, I had actually forgotten one existed! :D

I'm considering to buy it since I don't own the OST, but it would be nice to hear some opinions about whether the extra music are worth the price.

I do not wish any musician i like the fate to spend 1 or more years with thin ears Cameron. Certainly not JNH who has spent enough of his lifetime in the blockbuster doghouse.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm considering to buy it since I don't own the OST, but it would be nice to hear some opinions about whether the extra music are worth the price.

And so of all the people on this board, you decided to ask Thor whether an expansion is worth it or not.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

I do not wish any musician i like the fate to spend 1 or more years with thin ears Cameron. Certainly not JNH who has spent enough of his lifetime in the blockbuster doghouse.

Thinking like that, Zimmer should do it. 

:P

16 minutes ago, Holko said:

And so of all the people on this board, you decided to ask Thor whether an expansion is worth it or not.

I asked him because I knew it's one of his favourite scores. And he does have some expanded soundtracks in his collection. :)

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

At least the burden would be shouldered by a small army instead of one guy.

Yeah, Hanz would mostly be issuing the invoices while making sure his name was on the front cover of the OST. :D

Due to the scope of work required and the resources at HZ's disposal, on second thought I actually wouldn't mind a JNH / HZ collaboration, as long as the thematic and orchestral stuff is handled by JNH.

"Music Composed by James Newton Howard

Produced by Hans Zimmer"

Why exactly did they part ways for The Dark Knight Rises?