Doug Adams' new podcast on Indy scores

TownerFan

Excellent as usual! Thanks for bringing this to our attention Maurizio!

Yes terrific analysis from Doug Adams here. I wonder if there is more to this than just the podcast ?  A new book perhaps? or A new book to coincide with the definitive reissues of all the 4 film scores from the Indy saga just in time for the 5th Indy movie.... now that would be something to behold ?

If I understand it right he’s been plugging away at the idea of a podcast for awhile and this was his way of testing the waters to see what the reaction would be like. 

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

If I understand it right he’s been plugging away at the idea of a podcast for awhile and this was his way of testing the waters to see what the reaction would be like. 

Yes.

Geez it would be incredible to have a series of film score podcasts by Adams. Would definitely help fill the void left by David Collins on RFR -- devo that he'll seemingly never follow up with a series on Last Jedi; his analysis of Force Awakens was superb and opened up that score to me.

Still nothing from Art of the Score on TFA either. They mentioned having recorded two podcasts for TFA during the live performances last year but nothing's been uploaded.

Loved the podcast, it just reaffirms the idea that Doug should compile books on both the IJ and SE scores, but probably after 2019...

Yep! No point doing a book on the Star Wars scores until Williams hopefully completes the trilogy of trilogies in 2019. :) 

Then all 9 scores can receive the Matessino treatment ;)

But the Adams' way is to sit down with the composer, because he (very astutely) bases his analysis on the composer's intentions. Not only might he not get the chance to sit down with Williams, but there is an issue to be had with Williams trying to recollect every motif he wrote for scores forty years removed.

I don't see that as a problem, perhaps a Skype call can be arranged? The issue of Williams not being able to recall motifs seems a little unfair, but let's say he doesn't - surely someone as astute as Doug could easily assign the themes as coherently as Williams could?

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

The issue of Williams not being able to recall motifs seems a little unfair, but let's say he doesn't - surely someone as astute as Doug could easily assign the themes as coherently as Williams could?

But Adams works by getting the composer to point out the different themes, and rightly so: otherwise, you'd have all sorts of little recurring gestures that you could never be too sure about. That a gesture is recurring doesn't necessarily mean that its a theme. Sometimes, the composer's intention (or lack thereof) is clear through the music, sometimes - not so much. That's where the composer has to come in and say "yeah" or "nay". 

That was great. Learned a lot. I listened to the score the other day but this really makes me want to listen again right now.

Just listened to this on my run, and holy cow Doug mentions that WHIP-CRACK-AWAY thing.   Doug.....................thank u.

I’m a bit of a musical idiot, so I appreciate when somebody puts musical ideas in ways that I can understand, along with sufficient musical example to support that.  I also generally like the idea of exploring a whole series’ music in relation to one specific score (Indy through Raiders), although that might not functionally work with all series.

It also made me think deeper about a score I’ve heard many dozens of times. Things I didn’t pick up as recurring musical ideas; those ideas’ relation to the March and other Williams scores of the era, etc.

Great podcast! Look forward to more.

By the way: this podcast looks to be the answer to this tweet from Doug that we discussed last year 

The page in his photo is verbatim the language from the end of his section on the music for the women of Indy.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this neither downloadable as an MP3 nor available on Apple podcasts?  So much for listening in the car, where I do literally all of my podcast consumption.  Come on, Doug!  Platform exclusivity is the path to the Dark Side!

3 hours ago, igger6 said:

Is this neither downloadable as an MP3 nor available on Apple podcasts?  So much for listening in the car, where I do literally all of my podcast consumption.  Come on, Doug!  Platform exclusivity is the path to the Dark Side!

There are sneaky ways of saving soundcloud files as mp3 if you look for them. I always recommend supporting artists financially, but as I've experienced in the past, composers have put their content on soundcloud because official releases are nigh impossible. 

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

My guess is that when the podcast fully launches, it’ll be widely available

Oh, that's a good point.  I'm sure you're right.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, I hope the time comes soon!  I finished this today, and it's phenomenal—a cut above the rest in what's becoming a wonderfully crowded genre of podcasts.  Adams brings a professionalism and polish that's unmatched.  The snappiness of his organization and abundance of his audio samples bespeak a whole lot of preparation.  It had the sheen of a Freakonomics podcast, but it centered on film scores.  What more could we ask for, except another episode ASAP?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6.1.2018 at 2:23 AM, crumbs said:

Geez it would be incredible to have a series of film score podcasts by Adams. Would definitely help fill the void left by David Collins on RFR -- devo that he'll seemingly never follow up with a series on Last Jedi; his analysis of Force Awakens was superb and opened up that score to me.

BTW: Does anybody know why Star Wars Oxygen was discontinued? Was David Collins tired of his more or less clueless counterpart?

There are two explanations out there:

1: That Lucasfilm reined him in due to his involvement in the new films as a voice actor (and as a sound guy on video games)
2: That he distanced himself from RFR due to the allegations of sexism etc.

• 1 year later...