Do you own LLL's The Poseidon Adventure?

Josh500

LLL's The Poseidon Adventure   

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own LLL's The Poseidon Adventure?

2. 2. How do you like the score of The Poseidon Adventure?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I don't know this score.

It's one of the LLL releases I missed. Altough I have an "evaluation copy" on my computer, I never listened to it. I wait for the real thing I guess.

I love the main titles/theme but outside of that I haven't listened to the rest of the score, or remember what happened in the film... 

The same goes for The Towering Inferno and Earthquake, I only know them by their main themes/ concert arrangements. 

10 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I love the main titles/theme but outside of that I haven't listened to the rest of the score, or remember what happened in the film... 

The same goes for The Towering Inferno and Earthquake, I only know them by their main themes/ concert arrangements. 

Same here, exactly! 

Out of f these 3, Earthquake has the best main title, in my opinion. So jazzy, 70s, urgent, and somehow nostalgic. 

Yes, it's nice hearing where Williams reuses that theme in other scores, almost like Count Dooku's motif being mirrored by Malfoy's theme in Chamber of Secrets...

I've got the FSM version.  I wanted to get the LLL edition, but never got around to it.

The score isn't one of my favorites.  I don't by any means dislike it, but I never really feel an urge to listen to it, even while I'm listening to it.

No,  only have the FSM version.

Which is perfectly fine for me. Of course, I say that about all soundtracks, but in this case it's even more relevant because I was never a big fan of the score (except for a couple of cues). Too much drones and "sneaking-around" music. Gave it 2 points in the poll.

But I LOVE the film. One of my nostalgic favourites, which has a whole personal back story to go with it.

I have the LLL Poseidon CD.  Barely even listen to it apart of the Main and End Titles.  The alternate Main Title is also pretty interesting. 

Earthquake is the most listenable of the disaster scores for me, it's a good album.

I don't own the LLL edition...yet.

I do have the FSM '"threefer", and I also have an...let's just say"unofficial"...copy.

;)

I give TPA a solid 3/5.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

... I LOVE the film. One of my nostalgic favourites, which has a whole personal back story to go with it.

Continue.

I have the FSM, the Johnnyboy and the LLL. Also the Main Titles re-recording (McNeely/RSNO) and End Titles re-recording (Raine/CPPO).

I've barely listened to any of the score outside of the titles.

I own the LLL CD.  I don't listen to it very much, its not one of my favorites.

I do think with Disney buying out Fox, that one of the labels will reissue this again before they won't get a chance to.  I don't know if its possible to sound any better than the LLL CD though.

8 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I have the FSM, the Johnny Express and the LLL. Also the Main Titles re-recording (McNeely/RSNO) and End Titles re-recording (Raine/CPPO).

I've barely listened to any of the score outside of the titles.

Do you think you would like it more if you owned an additional copy? 

it's a 3 star score with a 5 star Main Title, End Credits

all re-recordings of the main titles fail miserably in recapturing the original's feel .The original have a serious dramatic/tragic feel and the re-recordings seem more "comical" or something

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I own the LLL CD.  I don't listen to it very much, its not one of my favorites.

I do think with Disney buying out Fox, that one of the labels will reissue this again before they won't get a chance to.  I don't know if its possible to sound any better than the LLL CD though.

Wow, there are two here! Did you go to high school? 

I couldn't answer Question 2 without there being some qualifier.

The score greatly evokes claustrophobia, despair, and danger - which it was supposed to do for the film. So yes, a lot of "creeping around music". Listening to the score in that context I'd rate it 5 stars. But if one is talking about liking the score on the same level as the Maestro's hummable pop-hits then outside of the main title you won't get very far.

8 hours ago, Woj said:

Do you think you would like it more if you owned an additional copy? 

It's not about liking/not liking, it's about when do I get the time to listen to my 1200+ collection of film music (never mind the 250 non-ST albums I also own).

I do enjoy the two re-recordings though. I think this ST could do with a serious whittle, it's just not an easy listen IMO.

How does everyone feel about the quoting of the first six notes of the main theme in the alien invasion theme from ID4? ;)

You clearly don't like it enough to listen to it past the main titles, but you clearly like having at least three of it on your shelf. Have you considered talking to a psychiatrist about your hoarding problem? 

Technically, if you own the CD album you still don't own the music, you own the product that contains the music owned by the studios and composer. 

7 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I've never seen the movie; I need to cross that one off my list one of these days.  That, and The Towering Inferno, AND Earthquake -- never seen a one of 'em!

You can actually watch the entire movie Earthquake on youtube. Just saying. 

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

It's not about liking/not liking, it's about when do I get the time to listen to my 1200+ collection of film music (never mind the 250 non-ST albums I also own).

I do enjoy the two re-recordings though. I think this ST could do with a serious whittle, it's just not an easy listen IMO.

How does everyone feel about the quoting of the first six notes of the main theme in the alien invasion theme from ID4? ;)

I have around 400 CDs in my collection, around 200 from JW, 80 from Jerry Goldsmith, the rest miscellaneous stuff, mostly pop, rock, and classical music.

I think 500 - 800 CDs is the absolute maximum a person should own. Anything more than that is just too much. I'd rather listen to the ones I treasure more often, than listen to 1,000 CDs over a span of... What? 3 years?

56 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I think 500 - 800 CDs is the absolute maximum a person should own. Anything more than that is just too much. I'd rather listen to the ones I treasure more often, than listen to 1,000 CDs over a span of... What? 3 years?

I wish I had 3 years to devote just to listening to my music.

At the current rate of listening, I'll be lucky to get through 10% just once in the next 10 years.

I wish I had 3 years to devote just to listening to my music.

At the current rate of listening, I'll be lucky to get through 10% just once in the next 10 years.

Yeah, so what's the point?

I could buy 10,000 books too. But I'd never (be able to) enjoy them all, so I don't. Same with video games, movies, music, etc.

7 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

So how'd you pull these arbitrary numbers?

800 CDs. If a CD has on average 1 hour of music, that's 48,000 hours, or 2,000 days, or 5,5 years.

And supposing you listen to music on average 6 hours each day, it's 22 years! 

You'd need to spend around 22 years to go through your entire CD collection! Seems like a good number, but I'd say that's the absolute maximum, if you really want to enjoy your music, and not just collect CDs for the sake of adding to your collection.

Again, just my opinion.

37 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, so what's the point?

I could buy 10,000 books too. But I'd never (be able to) enjoy them all, so I don't. Same with video games, movies, music, etc.

800 CDs. If a CD has on average 1 hour of music, that's 48,000 hours, or 2,000 days, or 5,5 years.

And supposing you listen to music on average 6 hours each day, it's 22 years! 

You'd need to spend around 22 years to go through your entire CD collection! Seems like a good number, but I'd say that's the absolute maximum, if you really want to enjoy your music, and not just collect CDs for the sake of adding to your collection.

Again, just my opinion.

True, but by that reasoning, what's the point of anything?

Some people buy stuff to use it, others because it's a bargain, others because they're bored, others because they're obsessive collectors, etc., etc.

I used to only buy John Williams related music, then I started collecting Goldsmith, Horner, Silvestri, Barry and Bernstein. Then I realised I also enjoy Poledouris, Mancina, Giacchino (shocker!!!), R Newman, McNeely, D Davis, J Scott, Shore and Holdridge. Then of course there are the comps by Varese / Silva / Telarc to fill in around the edges. At this stage I'd say I'm about 95% done. I just need to fill a few gaps (mostly Goldsmith / Barry / Horner / Poledouris) and will naturally pick up any future JW releases or premiere releases by my favourites mentioned above.

Based on my criteria for purchasing something, I can honestly say that I'm very happy with what I have, and own at most 20-30 CDs that I regret buying.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

@StefancosYeah thank God. Who would want to be in charge of a broken person like you?

I just expressed my opinion. Feel free to express yours. But stay on topic!

5 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Josh500 is approaching gkgyver levels.  

Indeed!

3 hours ago, MrScratch said:

If I like music and I want to buy it on CD, how many CDs I already own is not a factor in whether I buy a new CD.

So how many do you have total, so far? 

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So how many do you have total, so far? 

I stopped counting a long time ago but I remember passing 500 around the time Phantom Menace came out. So, maybe double that..?

I’ve also gotten rid of some. Sold on eBay, donated to Good Will or given away to friends.

When I buy CDs, or movies or books or whatever, it's often so that I have the option of consuming it whenever the mood strikes me.  In some cases, the mood may not strike me more than once, if ever; I've bought books that I'll almost certainly never get around to reading.  That's fine, though; the point is, if I am suddenly seized by the urge to read one of them, there it is, and all I've got to do is grab it and begin reading.

2 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

When I buy CDs, or movies or books or whatever, it's often so that I have the option of consuming it whenever the mood strikes me.  In some cases, the mood may not strike me more than once, if ever; I've bought books that I'll almost certainly never get around to reading.  That's fine, though; the point is, if I am suddenly seized by the urge to read one of them, there it is, and all I've got to do is grab it and begin reading.

Josh wants to regulate how much media we keep in our houses.

On 1/8/2018 at 3:34 AM, Josh500 said:

You can actually watch the entire movie Earthquake on youtube. Just saying.

I appreciate the tip!

Accessing the content isn't the issue, though; the issue is that fact that there are literally thousands of books I'd like to read, movies I'd like to watch, television shows I'd like to watch, etc.  Not to mention that I've got tons of things I'd like to rewatch/reread/etc.  Earthquake isn't a high enough priority for me to have pulled the trigger on it yet, that's all.  But it'll probably happen eventually, due to the Williams connection.  I scratch one of those off the list every so often.

1 minute ago, Denise Bryson said:

Josh wants to regulate how much media we keep in our houses.

I could never have enough.  Turn me into a billionaire somehow, and I'd squander it all on physical media.

3 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I get what you're saying, although I gotta wonder why you'd want to spend money on something if you aren't seized by the urge to consume it right now. (Except limited editions, of course, which might not be available in the near future, but these are generally exceptions.) If I'd start buying stuff just because I might be interested in it at some unknown point in the future, there'd be no end to it! 

Not criticising you or dissing you, just honestly wondering.

2 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I appreciate the tip!

Accessing the content isn't the issue, though; the issue is that fact that there are literally thousands of books I'd like to read, movies I'd like to watch, television shows I'd like to watch, etc.  Not to mention that I've got tons of things I'd like to rewatch/reread/etc.  Earthquake isn't a high enough priority for me to have pulled the trigger on it yet, that's all.  But it'll probably happen eventually, due to the Williams connection.  I scratch one of those off the list every so often.

Earthquake is an okay movie. I saw it only once from beginning to end. The music is great, of course, so it's worth watching for sure just for that!

Some people I know spend loads of money on alcohol, cigarettes, eating out, fashion and other pointless pursuits, and end up having nothing to show for it. At least I can point to my collection and say "that's what I did with my money."

Fashion isn't really pointless. I collect watches (besides JW and JG CDs), my girlfriend shoes.

To each his own, I guess. :D

Some people I know spend loads of money on alcohol, cigarettes, eating out, fashion and other pointless pursuits, and end up having nothing to show for it. At least I can point to my collection and say "that's what I did with my money."

In the last 15 years, I've spent most of my money on several of those things (esp. alcohol and partying), and hardly anything on CDs. I wouldn't say that I have 'nothing to show for it'. The social benefits have been tremendous. But yeah; can't measure it in physical items.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Fashion isn't really pointless. I collect watches (besides JW and JG CDs), my girlfriend shoes.

To each his own, I guess. :D

So how many watches have you? Spill! :P

One thing we can agree on, collecting (and listening to) film music is most definitely NOT fashionable...