Alex Ross on Williams' The Last Jedi

Miguel Andrade

Sigh.

Why not just listen to the music? What's this need people have nowadays to take it apart and analyze it?

It's not a puzzle nor a mathematical equation. 

The soundtrack scene didn't use to be like this.

To each his own, I suppose.

I enjoy analysing music that I enjoy much in the same way I enjoy analysing the craft of filmmaking on movies that I love. And, since Star Wars is a leitmotivic piece, it begs that treatment, for me.

58 minutes ago, Score said:

If someone gets the permission to write a book on TESB, he should definitely present JW a complete spreadsheet and ask him, at every occurrence of the Han Solo + Princess theme, whether he meant it as a theme for Han alone or as a love theme!

JW would probably call the police if that happened.

13 hours ago, Loert said:

JW would probably call the police if that happened.

More likely the asylum!

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Sigh.

Why not just listen to the music? What's this need people have nowadays to take it apart and analyze it?

It's not a puzzle nor a mathematical equation. 

Well, in part it is. The amount of insight that one can get, for example, by reading the sheet scores, can be compared to being in the room with the composer, listening to a piece of his and, instead of just saying "Oh what a cool piece!", also having him telling you "Yeah, I know it's cool, do you want to know how I did it? I wrote this, this and that, I gave this chord to the trombones, these harmonics to the violins, etc.". It's the closest thing you can get to being in the room when he composed it. It's very instructive.

Then, I do believe that there might be a tendency to over-analyze the structure of film scores, in the sense that structure is not the main thing in film music, nor the most important focus of the composer, so it could be a bit misleading to treat applied (film) music like absolute music in this respect. It is a different aspect than orchestration and harmony: while someone like John Williams uses all the available tricks of orchestration and harmony and works very hard on these just like a composer writing for the concert hall (so it makes sense to analyze every detail of these), he doesn't do the same with respect to structure, since the latter is dictated by the movie and most of the choices have to be straightforward and not puzzling. Noticing and writing down somewhere that "Leia appears on the screen, so we hear a statement of Leia's theme" is kind of obvious and does not add much to the understanding of what the composer did. Seeing much more than this probably corresponds to building something that does not exist in the composer's mind. Despite all the nice (and funny) discussions that we are having here, I will never believe that JW spent more than a few minutes to decide that Ben's Death had to be scored with Leia's theme (and even less to provide a "justification"), nor to decide whether "Han Solo and the Princess" is a love theme or not. 

Aren't Williams sketches filled with notes and other orchestrational instructions? Would give a clear indication on Williams' musical intentions for a score.

I've never really read them (mostly because I can't read music).

2 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Really? I thought he wrote basic piano sketches to be orchestrated after the fact by Pope or Ross.  

REALLY?!!! I didn't know that!

13 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Really? I thought he wrote basic piano sketches to be orchestrated after the fact by Pope or Ross.  

No, no, no! Ross writes the sketches then Williams crosses out his name and writes his own.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Aren't Williams sketches filled with notes and other orchestrational instructions? Would give a clear indication on Williams' musical intentions for a score.

All the musical information is there, orchestration wise, but there are no notes that reveal any deep intentions. Just stuff like ‘Vadar appears’ or ‘We see 3PO’ above key moments in the cues.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

6 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

According to Conrad Pope, and I am being honest here. When I sat and talked to him, he said, Williams gives him full on already orchestrated sketches and he is (in his own words) a glorified copyist. According to him, no other composer he's worked with does that.