Michael Kamen's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves released by Intrada!

crocodile

I was expecting LLL to do it. However, I'm surprised the artwork cover is pretty straight forward the same as its original incarnation and no secondary alternate is provided this time. 

I’ll toss this onto my more “urgent” wishlist with CE3K and The Post.  Maybe will get it after my tax refund, if it’s nice.  Always loved this score. Hope to check it out soon!

Ordered this last night!  Excited to get it, I have fond memories of the music.  That horn passage from the fanfare was always a favorite of the horn section to attempt in high school lol

A bit from Doug about the sound quality:

With these expansions, I often compare samples with the original albums. In some cases, such as this, the detail is improved to the point of being able to hear chair creaks, page flips and other forms of player preparation not noticeable before. It's interesting that it is the case here, because the elements used are two-channel digital mixes that I imagine were also used for the prior release. I guess Intrada has a special sauce.

Thank you for the compliment here. I don't know for sure if this has anything to do with the additional clarity - I'm thinking it does - but the 1991 album was mastered with "Q Sound" technology which had some sort of 3D algorithm to "enhance" the audio. I'm not a fan of this kind of audio processing albeit that's strictly my opinion and I recognize others may like all manner of extra processing to do magic tricks with their recordings. In this case, I believe we managed to work with the digital session mixes PRIOR to the additional Q Sound processing. But I speak of a subject in which I have limited knowledge of... so I'm making little more than an assumption that the added "3D sound" in the 1991 album may have manipulated the pure two-channel stereo details. But that could just be hopeful thinking on my part, too. :)
--Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=78592#p78592

This is at the very top of my holy grails list. Holy crap. Finally. I've loved movie scores since I was very young and first heard Williams' Superman in the movie on a TV airing. Over the years, as interest has peaked and waned, there are a handful of scores that have reinvigorated my passion for film music. Seeing this film and hearing Kamen's score so prominently was one such moment. I immediately begged my parents to take me to the nearest Musicland (remember those?) and purchased the OST with my hard-earned lawn mowing money. 

I still have that CD.

I can't wait to get this new version in my hands. Of all the unbelievable releases we've gotten lately, the Superman films (The Blue Box), CE3K (LLL), The Goonies (VSD), and now Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves from Intrada. These were the scores that just did it for me at various times in my life.

This is terrific!

3 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

That was a decade ago!

You're right. That's so hard to believe!

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And why haven't these scores been rereleased yet? Why must we be forced to listen to 10 year old restorations?

They're perfect as-is.  I've played that set countless times.

There’s still music I can’t find on the CD yet, so I put the film on to try and figure it out.

The scene where Robin rescues Little John’s wife and the scene where Robin saves LJ’s son from the noose, I cant find those on the CD. The first one may be reconstructed from other pieces, or perhaps not included in the sessions.

I know Roger Feigelson posted a breakdown of missing music not on the tapes.

For those asking about completeness, here's what is missing that could not be found on any source, anywhere:

01M04 - And His Merry Men (5:08) DVD: 0:05:57 - 0:10:47

Plays from Robin and Azeem's budding friendship through the destruction of Locsley Manor.

02M02A - Arrow (1:15) DVD: 0:17:54 - 0:19:06

Plays as Robin saves the child in the tree from Gisborne. Sounds very much like a construct.

09M01A - "Wild Times" (:38) DVD: 1:19:45 - 1:20:23

The film version of the Jeff Lynne pop song from the album.

10M00B - "Medieval Dance Source #3" (1:12) DVD: 1:25:03 - 1:26:09

12M01 - "Marriage Plans / Robin's Alive" (4:53) DVD: 1:41:18 - 1:46:04

Plays from Sheriff's forced marriage proposal to Sheriff telling Marian Robin is Dead, to Robin's survival.

13M01C - Hangman's Drums (1:51) DVD: 1:57:00 - 1:57:55

Just a repeating drum pattern. Nothing special here.

There's also a little bit of music that starts right at the beginning of the end credits and plays for 20 seconds before the Bryan Adams song kicks in. It's definitely dropped in, and frankly the edit is really bad.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7676&start=15

Well quite a few scores from the 90’s were missing, damaged or had parts missing. Die Hard, Hook and Batman were 3 main examples.

Perhaps the missing music in question wasn’t composed by Kamen or added late in post production / missing. I’m sure Intrada looked as thoroughly as they could.

Is it all completely different material or is it possible some if this material could have been created editorially? I can't remember anything from the film so can't comment.

Karol

Well the missing music in cue # 2 is original music. It starts after Robin and co emerge from the underground on to the Main Street and ends just before Robin arrives home. However, Robin Foils Gisborne contains the music used where Robin’s father confronts the Sheriff. 

The two “cues” I mentioned, the first one may be constructed but I can’t tell if the second is or not. 

But Roger doesn’t mention those as missing so perhaps they were.

• 2 weeks later...

It's marvelous! The newly-released cues are wonderful, and we're able to hear great variety and thematic development previously confined to the film. The liner notes are good, but I would love to read a more extensive write-up of the history and production of the score. In a fascinating twist-- there are moments in the score that I was previously convinced were tracked in, editorial creations-- that are NOT; and vice versa. There are nearly 15 minutes of music that were not available for this release (explained by Doug and others as possibly being the work of other writers/orchestrators, and not part of the archives in which Kamen's work was stored). For my part, this is a loss, as I think they're glorious and accompany some grand moments in the film (notably, Robin emerging in silhouette after the Celt battle with his theme performed by horns and haunting, full, high register strings; and part of the gallows scene: from the moment that Will Scarlett is tied to the explosive barrel, through the hanging of the young lad, Robin's severing of the noose, and the first flaming arrow barrel explosion). Other than that, however, I think it's fantastic. (that was long and specific. sorry!!) 

I wonder if a different producer in charge of the set would have led a grander charge through the WB archives to find those missing cues.  Regardless of if Kamen was involved with them or not, they deserve to be here, and are PROBABLY archived SOMEWHERE.

I completely agree. The notion that (possibly) several other composers/arrangers helped to finish this score does not tarnish my love of the score. I want it all.