Williams confirms EPISODE IX !!

Amer

1 hour ago, Score said:

Here, there was a very innocent comment by TownerFan saying that the SW scores are one of the greatest achievements by a single composer (which is true and does not diminish other comparable works), then Chen replied in a way that seemed to dismiss their value by saying that Shore's LOTR scores are more thematically dense etc., and ended up saying that they are much more deserving of an award as his opinion had to be the truth, and I just didn't like the tone of those statements. 

I see.

It should be said however that that reply was only one of a number in that vein, also from Score, igger6, and from Richard on the ranking of the Star Wars scores thread.

Like I said, I would like to have seen both receive an honorary oscar, and while only one of them may acquire such a title at this point (unless Shore ends up scoring more Middle Earth films, which I hope he does), I think its incorrect to claim, even indirectly, that only one of them should.

And I still think that unequivocally granting either of the two works the title of "achievement without peer" and "the single greatest achievement in motion picture scoring" as they have been called in these two threads, is much too bold a claim. 

6 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

@thread title

Great. Let's get on with it and move to other things please..

Asking JWFAN to get on to other things outside STAR WARS and similar fare, is like asking the Pope to stop talking about Christianity.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Asking JWFAN to get on to other things outside STAR WARS and similar fare, is like asking the Pope to stop talking about Christianity.

No. I was asking John Wiliams to move to other things! ;)

12 hours ago, Score said:

Here, there was a very innocent comment by TownerFan saying that the SW scores are one of the greatest achievements by a single composer (which is true and does not diminish other comparable works), then Chen replied in a way that seemed to dismiss their value by saying that Shore's LOTR scores are more thematically dense etc., and ended up saying that they are much more deserving of an award as his opinion had to be the truth, and I just didn't like the tone of those statements. 

Wrong.

TownerFan said that the only comparable equal to Star Wars would be Wagner's Ring Cycle. To which Chen added Shore's work, which indeed compensates for its lack of comparable harmonic complexity with sheer leitmotivic grandeur and textural wealth.

Though I have to ask how a work that juggles with ease so many different themes can be harmonically simpler.

36 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Though I have to ask how a work that juggles with ease so many different themes can be harmonically simpler.

?

Harmony and number of themes are not related whatsoever.

I don't understand your question.

True, but on the other hand, there is a lot of harmonic forethought in terms of creating a glossary of themes which, unlike Williams' but very much like Wagner's, are all harmonically tied together in sets and subsets of related themes. Pretty damn mind-blowing.

These are leitmotivic works. They should be assessed based on their leitmotivic variety and intricacy, first. Again, not trying to start what is bound to be a never-ending argument, but rather to show the error in such bold statements as "Star Wars is without peer" nonsense.

41 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

These are leitmotivic works. They should be assessed based on their leitmotivic variety and intricacy, first. Again, not trying to start what is bound to be a never-ending argument, but rather to show the error in such bold statements as "Star Wars is without peer" nonsense.

We can debate the artistic merit of these pieces for eternity but I think statements like the one you mentioned are specifically in reference to the time spent working on one piece and the volume of music it contains.

The closest comparisons have already been discussed. Wagner's Ring Cycle (about 15 hours of music) was written over ~26 years. LOTR/Hobbit (about 18 hours of music) spans ~15 years.

So in this sense, one composer over 43 years assembling ~20 hours of music building upon leitmotivic writing is without peer.

Who cares about the time between installments?! If anything, what matters is how much time the composer actually spent (overall) working on the bloody thing!

Wagner worked on the Ring Cycle on and-off throughout that entire time period, stopping only to write his other operas; Shore worked on Lord of the Rings for four years straight, and I believe another three for The Hobbit. Williams worked for 10-12 weeks before each installment, so less than two years, at most.

To be fair to Williams, he didn't have existing source material to work with, or a story of his own design, so even if he wanted to, he couldn't spend the interim time between installments developing themes that are to come.

He didn't spend 10 months composing, they just spread out the recording sessions over that period of time. Williams, I believe, openly said that his output in terms of minutes of music per day has remained relatively consistent, in spite of his age. Its just attending recording sessions and conducting that is the issue.

And, I agree that its a superficial "dick-size" contest. That's what I'm trying to show: that you can't point to the superior of the two without resorting to debates on such trivialities, hence you cannot be so unequivocal in claiming that "STAR WARS IZ DU BEST FILM SKOR EVAR." The same is true of hailing Shore's work as just that.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

hence you cannot be so unequivocal in claiming that "STAR WARS IZ DU BEST FILM SKOR EVAR."

Are you even reading my posts? Where did I say this? I specifically went out of my way to point out I'm NOT comparing the works themselves but rather the achievement of writing it over such a period of time.

46 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Who cares? You have to be joking, right? What's not utterly fascinating about a composer who wrote a suite of themes over 4 decades ago, and whose style and artistic leanings have evolved and matured in the intervening years, is still expanding upon these ideas with his modern sensibilities?

Not to forget that one of the frequently discussed aspects of Wagner's Ring is the supposed stylistic break from when he stopped working on it for 12 years.

I had no doubt in my mind that the Maestro would do the music for Star Wars, Episode IX. That was a phenomenal article and interview.

Time to add Star Wars, Episode IX on the side bar of the main page that lists upcoming projects.

What is more appealing to me in Shore's opus compared to Williams' is that Shore more consistently relies on melody to move his music forward, whereas JW's recent Star Wars music, or his post 2000 action output in general, relies more on rhythmic figures and orchestrations that tend to muddle the music down, and that can sometimes be tedious to go through when you listen to a whole album. I can't get into this kind of overcomplicated action writing, overflowing with advanced harmonies that fragments the whole thing.

I'm no musician, that's the best I can do to describe it.

You can't go a minute in Shore's Middle Earth music without having some theme or motif playing, and even when he goes into more textural stuff, like the Dead Marshes, Fangorn or Mirkwood, it is always within a thematic context, even though it may be fragmented. These six scores are relentlessly interesting in a melodic and thematic sense, and to me personally, that's just more impressive than having technically accomplished music, where I can fast forward every 3 minutes because it sounds like nondescript action music that Williams has done a thousand times before. And which is, in the case of TLJ, not even particulary original.

Shore's work sounds more like he scored a story instead of syncing to picture, while Williams' new trilogy is the other way around.

I can see plenty of people listening to pretty much any track from LotR or The Hobbit, and enjoy it as standalone music without a scene attached to it. I can't see the same number of people who are NOT Star Wars fans listen to something like The Falcon or I Can Fly Anything, and be particulary engaged by the listen, without knowing what scenes it scores.

Because I do like Star Wars, and I don't know what scenes these score, and I have no emotional response to that music whatsoever.

I think it would not be wise to assume that because a shitload of people know Williams' "big" themes, and love them, they also love the score-y and micky-mouse-y stuff that comes with them. Because that's as much of an acquired taste as classical music in general can be for the general public.

Sometimes people also pretend like those Star Wars films are one big whole, and Williams chose the "sound" of each of them, when in reality, the film doesn't dictate the Sound of the score, the phase in which the composer is in his career does. 

And SW 1-3 are as different from the prequels, as this new trilogy is from any of them.

The Hobbit is different from LotR (though AUJ does come close), and should Shore do a Silmarillion in a few years, that will be different, too.

I get the distinct impression that Shore approached the whole Middle Earth thing with a much higher determination to create something that's more than the sum of its parts, than Williams did. On the original trilogy, you can say, well, nobody dared to dream that it would be a trilogy. But in the prequels, Williams consciously dropped ideas from film to film in favour of creating something new.

And in this trilogy, where Williams could do pretty much anything .... Let me put it this way, I could never imagine Shore making a conscious effort to take a verbatim quote from LotR, and implementing it into the Hobbit without rhyme or reason, like Williams does here. Last minute directorial demands to record temp tracks don't count. We have the original intention on album.

And yes, I know there are a few quotes, like the Minas Morgul motif, or Mirror Of Galadriel, or Very Old Friends. But those MAKE SENSE, and widen the scope that these scores had to begin with, or, in the case of Very Old Friends, they score the same freaking scene.

Even if I had an emotional response to all of TLJ, I couldn't take it into the same category as Shore, simply because of how unoriginal it is, and how little sense it makes.

I'm sorry if I have to upset some people, but to me, TLJ is in large parts pastiche.

I suppose I shall be the lone dissenter here and express my displeasure at this news. While I want John Williams to finish out the third Star Wars trilogy, I haven't been impressed with too much of the music in this new trilogy. Lots of rehashes and too many reminders of how awesome the original trilogy was musically.

When "The Force Awakens" ended, I shrugged my shoulders (physically and emotionally) over the music. After "The Last Jedi," I silently hoped Williams would hand over the reins to someone else for Episode 9. Oh, well. I hope there is a surge of inspiration that comes from this film. I really want the music to be good. But, I'm tempering my expectations because they have been dashed twice previously.

Yes, there's no doubt Williams should score IX. And I wasn't too unsure that he would. The scoring process on these starts very early, so he'll be back composing before you know it.

5 hours ago, Trumpeteer said:

While I want John Williams to finish out the third Star Wars trilogy, I haven't been impressed with too much of the music in this new trilogy. Lots of rehashes and too many reminders of how awesome the original trilogy was musically.

I don't feel the same, but I do understand: The Force Awakens is fine music: I've gotten more fond of Rey's theme since The Last Jedi (its just the introduction figures that I don't like, and those are barely in it) but its not the greatest thing since sliced bread, and the whole thing is mixed so low, that the music is a none-entity during the film. The Last Jedi is much more present in the picture, and I like the new thematic material, but I can't get over just how much of the material is from pre-existing scores; also, due to what I must assume is temp-track-love, there are a couple of moment that give me serious Revenge of the Sith flashbacks. To me, this sequel trilogy is this far - in terms of the scores - the least of the three.

I still enjoy both entries, and I still want him to score IX. Not to mention I was very happy to learn that he's writing the main theme for Solo.

7 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Sometimes people also pretend like those Star Wars films are one big whole, and Williams chose the "sound" of each of them, when in reality, the film doesn't dictate the Sound of the score, the phase in which the composer is in his career does. 

And SW 1-3 are as different from the prequels, as this new trilogy is from any of them.

The Hobbit is different from LotR (though AUJ does come close), and should Shore do a Silmarillion in a few years, that will be different, too.

I get the distinct impression that Shore approached the whole Middle Earth thing with a much higher determination to create something that's more than the sum of its parts, than Williams did.

That's the triumph of Shore's work, to me, as a piece of musical storytelling: that it has a unified sense to it. With Williams, they really are a string of interconnected, but separate, entities. You have themes that are waylaid (Anakin's), themes that are gained at some point albeit being perfectly applicable to a previous entry (Imperial March, Across the Stars), themes that are repurposed throughout the narrative (Ben's, Luke's, the Rebel Fanfare), themes that are isolated to one episode in spite of being perfectly applicable to others (Droids, Imperial motif), etc...

To be fair, Williams didn't have existing source material like Shore did. So Shore could write and introduce the Gondor theme, knowing that it will become important in a later entry, where Williams didn't know the same with plot elements of Star Wars. But than, even with the prequels where George Lucas knew that he was going to develop Anakin and Padem's relationship from The Phantom Menace into a tragic love story, Williams didn't bother with writing a love theme. Its also true of his Harry Potter entries: Williams only writes thematic material for the piece he is working on at each point of time, he doesn't write a theme only for its significance to reveal itself in a later entry.

Also, since Williams' is a much, much smaller thematic catalog (even by account of the folk who like to view every couple of notes from a single theme as a separate thematic idea) he ends up flogging some of his themes way too often, to the point that the audience becomes super-saturated in them. The way The Force theme is used in The Last Jedi, unfortunately "cheapens" the theme for me. From a theme for a certain plot element (The Force) its turned into generic melancholy music. The same is true of Luke's theme becoming just "heroic" music, and of the Rebel Fanfare becoming "triumphant" music.

7 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Let me put it this way, I could never imagine Shore making a conscious effort to take a verbatim quote from LotR, and implementing it into the Hobbit without rhyme or reason, like Williams does here. Last minute directorial demands to record temp tracks don't count. We have the original intention on album.

And yes, I know there are a few quotes, like the Minas Morgul motif, or Mirror Of Galadriel, or Very Old Friends. But those MAKE SENSE, and widen the scope that these scores had to begin with.

I think those quotes are the true brilliance of the score: instead of taking an existing theme and writing it backwards (a-la Anakin's theme) Shore does this instead with none-recurring material, and also makes it a part of the overall fabric of the score. So its not just that he introduces the snippet of music from when Gandalf is looking at the map of the Lonely Mountain, its that he bases The House of Durin (and, by proxy, Thorin's theme) on it, so that when you hear it in The Fellowship of the Ring, it makes you reminisce about Thorin.

But than again, unlike you, I don't think one's appreciation of the music can (or should) be isolated from one's enjoyment of the films. The music is associated with the images and evokes them when you hear it. If you like the images that pop-up in your mind when you listen, you will like the music.

5 hours ago, Trumpeteer said:

I suppose I shall be the lone dissenter here and express my displeasure at this news. While I want John Williams to finish out the third Star Wars trilogy, I haven't been impressed with too much of the music in this new trilogy. Lots of rehashes and too many reminders of how awesome the original trilogy was musically.

When "The Force Awakens" ended, I shrugged my shoulders (physically and emotionally) over the music. After "The Last Jedi," I silently hoped Williams would hand over the reins to someone else for Episode 9. Oh, well. I hope there is a surge of inspiration that comes from this film. I really want the music to be good. But, I'm tempering my expectations because they have been dashed twice previously.

My sentiments exactly, so no -- you're not the lone dissenter at all!

Although I'm happy for any new Williams I can get at this point in his life, I'd rather hear him do other projects than STAR WARS.

8 hours ago, Trumpeteer said:

I haven't finished my listen through of the TLJ ost yet (it suddenly gets really good at Crait, but that's very late on), yet I'm possibly inclined to agree with the overall sentiment of what you're saying.

Compared to other grand romantic writing put out these days, Williams still casts a big shadow over it all, the absolute lot of it. Because even though I only find these newer SW scores good for their handful of highlights, I still get more out of those moments than I do out of pretty much any other recent movie soundtrack. And yet, at the same time, in no way are these new Star Wars scores vintage Williams. They're simply not cohesively thematic enough for my tastes to really get along with. Overall, I find them merely adequate as effective storytelling underscore, and even less successful in standalone music form.

On the albums, I only hear a bunch of unconnected cues which don't seem to be portraying anything other than what was on the screen at the time; I can't sense the strong musical narrative from one track to the next which I have come to expect from this composer. This was deeply disappointing to me. As I've said before though, I tend to blame the distinctly hollow movies themselves for this. I don't think Williams finds temp scores all that inspiring, for starters. When it comes to storytelling ie propulsive thematic mechanisms in the composition, pathos, catharsis... well, I know Williams is more than capable of delivering. But something about these movies isn't fully firing him up, in spite of his personal attachment to the series. Simply, the mythos and the magic are absent from Disney era Star Wars on a basic filmic level. Even John Williams can't find enough there to really flesh it out.

Its what Adams called music "from this world", not just "about it." You can almost imagine Shore's score as a grand opera written in the United Kingdom in the Forth Age. The same is not quite true of Star Wars, minus the diegetic music.

Not only that, but Star Wars is "about the world" through the eyes of the composer; Middle Earth is "about the world" through the eyes of the composer and director. You have one director who approves of every single theme, and a composer who took inspiration for his themes from the way the art department (under said director) conceptualized the subject of those themes: Dwarves as rigid and square, Elves as sinuous, etc. So the score doesn't stand out of the vision of the director, but as an organic extension of it.

That's why Middle Earth at least seems to be the least harmonically evolved: because its supposed to sound much more antiquated than Star Wars, and it does. And not only does it has its own, overarching sound, but each culture has its soundscape, within that sonic universe, as well. You couldn't mistake a Dwarven piece of music for mannish piece of music for so much as a split-second, and yet the score don't feel compartmentalized.

There are other aspects to Shore's writing that satisfy my sensibilities better than Williams: his use of unusual instruments with the orchestra, his use of voices, and the inclusion of soloists. Having such people as Renee Fleming and James Galway infuse your score with their artistry certainly doesn't hurt! Williams, sadly, isn't keen on attaching his usual soloists (Perlman, Ma, etc..) with Star Wars.

On 12/01/2018 at 6:01 PM, Thor said:

As far as I have read, watched, and heard, the Pope has never talked about Christianity, except to disown it, but that is a good story...for another time :)