Williams confirms EPISODE IX !!

Amer

10 minutes ago, ocelot said:

It's like this dumb dumb dumb thing in Saudi Arabia. Pokémon Go is banned there, actually anything Pokemon is banned because they deem it a Jewish Conspiracy... WTF, lol, I mean even a Japanese cartoon is being blamed on the Jews?

That's so messed up it's hilarious. I...what?! 

Just now, idril said:

That's so messed up it's hilarious. I...what?! 

Seriously, my whole family was cracking up at the idiocy of it all....

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

The arrival of the Rohirrim and the The Battle of the Pelennor Fields > anything from Star Wars 1-8.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Member placed on ignore list!

;)

In hindsight, this was stupid moment of provocative madness on my part. I've been listening to random cues from various Star Wars scores today, spurred on no doubt by the debating in this thread. So thanks for that, at least. But what the hell was I thinking? 

I think perhaps I was basing my statement on pure emotional responses I've experienced to music and a scene. I've never been so stirred by the power of music and its ability to lift a scene into what was for me a near euphoric state as I felt during the Pelennor sequences, it was an almost transcendental moment to me in the theatre. That was years ago now though. I was at full flight LOTR fandom phase back then. 

But Star Wars music, it's none too shabby itself. It's spectacular actually; even if I do not feel those same emotional connections to the scenes it accompanies. For me, Star Wars was never a complete audiovisual journey like LOTR was. It's just great, great symphony for light adventure in space.

12 hours ago, ocelot said:

Actually If you study many of his scores and his concert works, he can get very complicated harmonically. Have you looked at the score to 5 Sacred Trees? Even SW TPM has some really challenging harmonies and rhythms. I am not talking about his thematic material here. And I think that is his genius in keeping those very simple and very catchy. He is a tunesmith. I'm talking about the meat and potatoes of some of his scores.

I talked specifically about the film scores and their general appearance to the layman, which seldom come off as overly 'complicated' - which is of course a chief reason for Williams' success. Sure he is a more sophisticated composer than, say, Shore but still keeps his film work fairly grounded. A polyphonic brass layering that is in aid of a big saturated americana hymn, for instance, is sophisticated but not more complicated. It's all - most of it - done in fairly easy to follow idioms.

I have recently bought the Eulenburg full orchestral scores for all four parts of Wagner's Nibelungen. And being in the process of doing happy read-along sessions together with my namesake Georg Solti (Georg of course being the name of a legendary Christian dragon slayer ironically), I can tell you: Wagner is better than everything.

No thanks. Doesn't hurt picking up a real book.

Wagner's string flurries, where he divides the 1st and 2nd violins, and violas, eventually joined by the celli, into 6 parts each, so you have 18 string patterns playing at once, is pretty mindblowing to look at.

I can easily see why Shore would be fascinated by divisis like these. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

In hindsight, this was stupid moment of provocative madness on my part. I've been listening to random cues from various Star Wars scores today, spurred on no doubt by the debating in this thread. So thanks for that, at least. But what the hell was I thinking? 

Nothing wrong with a little hyperbole now and then. It was a bold opinion, stated boldly! 

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

I can tell you: Wagner is better than everything.

I never really had Wagner mania or felt so strongly about him.  But last year I led a performance of Tannhauser and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life.  There is a time and place where Wagner is better than everything, I'll say that much.

On 14/01/2018 at 6:38 PM, Quintus said:

You don't understand my post? 

I understand you post, fine, Lee. 

Personally I like the Middle Earth scores. Let no-one say I'm not a Shore fan. I was listening to Shore, before a lot of JWfaners were born (THE FLY), and I've spent an approximate total of £300 on his six ME scores, alone, including all three LOTR CRs.

I like, and appreciate LOTR, and I willingly accept that it is great music, but STAR WARS sends me into the stratosphere. That's just me, you understand?

On 14/01/2018 at 6:57 PM, Quintus said:

I'm not going to play it down, but when considered as a whole and rounded work, I do consider Shore's LOTR to be an earth shattering masterpiece. It's a freak. 

You call LOTR  "an earth shattering masterpiece", then you call it "a freak".

What do you mean by this, Lee? Are you implying that Shore could not compose something like it again?

That's hypothetical, because films like that aren't made anymore. It was a New Zealand production, largely untouched by Hollywood filth.

The Hobbit is as close as it can get.

12 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

The Hobbit is as close as it can get.

In many ways, Shore's craft only improved: The Hobbit scored are unbelievably dense with leitmotives, and full to the brim with unusual instruments.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

In many ways, Shore's craft only improved: The Hobbit scored are unbelievably dense with leitmotives, and full to the brim with unusual instruments.

People always talk about "holy grails". 

I would absolutely, literally, kill to visit a parallel universe where Shore orchestrated and conducted DoS and BOTFA himself, all alone, like AUJ, without Conrad Pope's hands on them.

A composer's voice that is as recognizable as Shore's, because he used to orchestrate everything, can only get muddled from having an outsider interfere with it.

I totally get the reasoning behind bringing Pope in, but it's just a shame that the digitalizing of post production, and the general bigger workload led to Jackson kind of sacrificing the integrity of the scoring process.

I don't mind it so much. If there is a change in the music it's mostly in the writing itself, which got much darker in Desolation of Smaug going forward (and that's by design) and in the case of Battle of the Five Armies, there was a difference in how the album was mixed.

Otherwise, it sounds like Shore's music through and through.

50 minutes ago, TGP said:

I never really had Wagner mania or felt so strongly about him.  But last year I led a performance of Tannhauser and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life.  There is a time and place where Wagner is better than everything, I'll say that much.

I love the Tannhäuser theme, and the rest of the work although it's quite long. 

Are you an orchestra conductor?

I don't really get into specifics about myself on here, but the gist of what I've let slip over the years is that I'm trained as a composer, that I scrounge what I can from various musical jobs - nothing special - but that I am really only able to survive thanks to the patronage of my revered and very succesful Mrs. Pilgrim.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I have recently bought the Eulenburg full orchestral scores for all four parts of Wagner's Nibelungen. And being in the process of doing happy read-along sessions together with my namesake Georg Solti (Georg of course being the name of a legendary Christian dragon slayer ironically), I can tell you: Wagner is better than everything.

Great!! I did the same a few years ago. The Eulenburg scores are wonderful, as they were typeset recently. The Dover editions, which are reprints of very old editions (except in the case of Die Walkure), have some issues. On my copy, sometimes it was difficult to tell the naturals from the sharps and the flats, which is quite an inconvenience with Wagner! 

Wagner's ring is such an awesome journey...

1 hour ago, Richard said:

You call LOTR  "an earth shattering masterpiece", then you call it "a freak".

What do you mean by this, Lee? Are you implying that Shore could not compose something like it again?

No, I don't think he could. Shore is a very fine composer who has left his mark on cinema legend and he should be proud, but I think LOTR was a stars aligned type situation. Once in a generation, if we're lucky. He just delivered, waaaay more than any of us dared to hope for at the time. 

6 minutes ago, TGP said:

I don't really get into specifics about myself on here, but the gist of what I've let slip over the years is that I'm trained as a composer, that I scrounge what I can from various musical jobs - nothing special - but that I am really only able to survive thanks to the patronage of my revered and very succesful Mrs. Pilgrim.

I would love to hear some of your music if possible. I assure you I would never mock it.

Bars 3713 onwards in Rheingold remind me of the music in TTT when Gandalf retells his story about coming back from Death, though the latter is slightly more ominous of course.

1:58 in this recording:

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Have you heard Ocelot's? It's fabulous! 

LOL, I'm not quite sure if you are mocking me or being honest. Some people will ike it, others won't, it's all good. I do my best...

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@ocelot, may I hear some of your music?

I sent you a PM with a video of the recording of one of my pieces 

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

No, I saw the videos last year and I listened. I was impressed, I said so at the time 👍

Thank you :)

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Not at all mate. I like how you're suddenly quite humble about it though, it shows good nature ;)

OMG, I still have so much to learn as a composer, trust me!!! But I love learning and growing, so little by little! And I can't remember whom, but someone put one of my pieces on here to mock it last year, so not everyone is going to like what I do. It's all good though.

16 hours ago, ocelot said:

I sent you a PM with a video of the recording of one of my pieces 

I've now listened to your compositions on Youtube and your album on Spotify. Your music is very evocative and reminiscent of film music, but I found it better than much of today's film music. I could sense an influence from JW and Ravel, among others, but it mostly felt like your own compositions. Keep up the good work! :) Are you a full-time composer?

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've now listened to your compositions on Youtube and your album on Spotify. Your music is very evocative and reminiscent of film music, but I found it better than much of today's film music. I could sense an influence from JW and Ravel, among others, but it mostly felt like your own compositions. Keep up the good work! :) Are you a full-time composer?

Thanks, yeah I am, its my full time job. And thank you x I keep trying to get work in the film/tv industry and I do here and there but nowadays they want "new" composers to do low budget movies with samples and I only know how to write pencil to paper at a piano and then I orchestrate into finale. Which means I need an orchestra to record it, and most of the time they won't chance a big budget on someone not tried out fully. I just did the main title last year to an upcoming TV show called Medinah, and wrote themes and motives for characters and situations. Recorded the main title with a 94 piece orchestra for them too. But I think we are getting off topic here!

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I wonder if he's the best composer on JWFan. 

OMG I highly doubt that LOL 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Marcus, may we hear some of your music?

Certainly! 

There's quite a bit available on Spotify etc. 

You can also check out my website, www.marcuspaus.com 

Here's some stuff off YouTube:

11 minutes ago, ocelot said:

I only know how to write pencil to paper at a piano and then I orchestrate into finale.

Pencil and paper is underrated. :)

I've only used Sibelius - is there any difference between the two?

22 hours ago, Marcus said:

Certainly! 

Great thanks for sharing. Looking forward to checking these out later. 

22 hours ago, Marcus said:

Certainly! 

Ah, you're that Marcus. :) I like your music, and the fact that it's highly tonal. Thanks for sharing.